Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started 2 week pre-op liquid diet

hey everybody. hang in there. this does get easier, I promise!

To answer someone's question that asked my about my diet cokes/caffiene. I didn't have to give up caffiene. I did though, since its a diuretic (sp) and I didn't want to take a chance of being dehydrated.

In regards to the artificial sweetner. My propel doesn't use artificial sweetner that I am aware of. It is caffiene free and it has 25 calories a bottle and 4g. sugar. So it used the real thing (sucrose syrup). Therefore, I'm not having any problems associated with the artificial stuff. I've been drinking ice tea unsweetened.

I don't have any fill in my band yet, but I started eating normal food. I had a family Christmas dinner yesterday. I ate a few meatballs throughout the day and some green Beans. I chewed everything real well! I had no problems at all. I was full too. I don't crave the sweets anymore, which is great! I made 60 brownies yesterday morning with chocolate chunks and chocolate icing (for the get together and gifts.) I didn't have any desire to lick the spatula! (I had eaten my cottage cheese for Breakfast first and I was full!) I didn't eat any deserts at the get together yesterday, including any of my own brownies. I FELT POWERFUL!!! It was a great feeling.

I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!:biggrin:

Propel Fitness Water does have calories and does contain sucrose Syrup. However, it also contains sucralose, aka Splenda, which is an artificial sweetener.

It contains 25 calories per 8oz serving. There are usually 3 servings in a bottle. So it contains about 75 calories per bottle.

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if my propel contained artificial sweetner or not. Good to know. However, I can tell you that my bottle of propel is 25 calories per bottle, not serving. So I feel comfortable drinking a few a day.

Regarding carbonated drinks, I don't think my dr. mentionned erosion, but he did tell the group in the seminar that anything with carbonation or yeast causes swelling and gas bubbles, which in turn can be very, very uncomfortable once the band is on. I am eliminating all carbonation and bread after my band. God willing!

I just received my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury order -thank goodness! And it is such a huge relief. I had sent for samples of the Soup a while ago and it is fabulous so last week I ordered the unflavored Protein and the Soup.

The unflavored can go in anything to give you Protein just like those K20's or whatever they are called...I cant use them b/c of the artificial stuff but this you can put in your own tea or anything. A word of advice though is to shake it well.

I feel full and ok today b/c of these two items. I love Unjury.< /p>

I had also sent away to Barriatric Eating for a sampler pack to just try them out and I am so glad I did b/c there were some big name samples in the bag that I couldnt have choked down even if I were starving! lol Seriously I am so glad I did this ahead of time. It was $60.00 and came with her book, a shaker bottle and numerous shakes, some to mix and a few premixed. I am keeping track of the good ones. If you want to know what I think of certain ones ask me.

My plan afterward is to try to eat like a gastric bypass patient for as long as I can to try to lose as much upfront as possible. Then move on from there.

Anyway, I just had to share wiht you this great product and if you're on the fence about ordering dont be, its great.

poodles

I (thank goodness) do not have to give up caffine. What I can tell you is I am having a horrible time this past week with the diet. I cheated so many times it was unreal. I was good each day until around 7 pm..then I was starved. I told myself I have to do this diet this week..or my band might be put on hold for the 29th...:(

Hello,

What is your scheduled date?

I am afraid I will be put on hold and I have been sticking to my diet! I went to my regular Doctor for my pre-op today and I have STILL not lost a pound! I'm about to chuck all these shakes and just eat normal until the 2 days before surgery!!!! I am super frustrated, can you tell??? :smile:

~Stephanie

I cheated today. I had 2 adkins shakes, sugar free Jello, diet sodas, crystal light, but by dinner, I just had to chew. I had a salad (lettuce, carrots, cukes, orange, and a 4 oz of grilled boneless chicken) with 2 tablespoons of asian dressing. I hope I will be ok.

Any suggestions on low carb/low fat/ no sugar foods that would be the least damaging if one must stray?

Jackie,

What you have described is my pre-op diet. It seems to me you'll be fine with a small salad like that. Geez...I thought mine was hard and I'm not on all liquid.

I'm super frustrated though b/c I have lost nothing more than the original 7 and its been almsot 2 weeks now. I have another week to go, my surgery is next Tuesday. I am concerned that I just wont lose no matter what I do.

I think I'm going to post to the other topic board and see if I cant get some ideas on why its just so friggin hard to drop a pound. I can certainlly gain them without a problem.

AARRGGHHHH!

Oh, had my pre-op appt. yesterday. I cried. Yeah, I didnt realize just how nervous I really am about the whole thing. It's scary and exciting all at the same time.

Poodles, I understand exactly. I lost one pound and I am totally petrified that its "not enough" and I will wake up without a band. I cannot afford another attempt/tests etc. and my new Insurance will not approve it. I know the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver, not to necessarily lose weight but I think I would relax a little better if I lost something.

I am nervous, excited, anxiuos, apprehensive, and hopeful all at the same time. One week from today I will wake up with a total lifestyle change, like adding a new child to the family. My life and eating habits will never be the same.

Wish me luck today...time to make Xmas Cookies for Santa!

Merry Christmas!!!

I have only lost 2 lbs on the pre-op and my surgery is on Tuesday!!! I am also very worried that I will be denied surgery.. But I have been SO GOOD on the liquids! I have PCOS and that makes it extremely hard to lose weight, according to my endocrinologist. My big fear is that I will get the band and STILL not be able to lose. Still- I am excited to get the surgery over with. I'm more excited that scared, now!

Wish me luck on The 30th and keep me in your prayers! Thanks!

~Stephanie:thumbup:

I have my pro op appointment on the 9th. I havent been told my my surgeon or my nutritionist what I can and cannot have on the pro op diet. Surgery is on the 16th of Jan so i am hoping to hear back from them soon cause I am clueless.

OH, boy, I've messed up!

Yesterday went fine. I had 2 shakes and some Protein Water and was ok. I went to church at 2:30 expecting things to be over in plenty of time for me to come home and cook a decent dinner. Well, I was wrong. I was out with NOTHING to eat at all, starving at 5:40 and with hungry husband and children. So we ended up at pizza Hut...I had a personal pan pizza...cheese only and salad. I was weak.

I had been planning all week to eat today at Christmas, as in just a dinner with the family since I am allowed a small meal anyway and thought I could sneak in a few Cookies or bites of pies too. Which I have now done too......plus some cake batter ice cream...

So I have pizza Hut and now today under my belt, no pun intended, and am getting really concerned that I have screwed things up for myself. I've lost a few lbs on the preop since last week but not that much and so I guess starting tomorrow I am going on full liquids until Tuesday's surgery. Lord help me and my family....ugh..

Anyone have any thing to say about how bad I was, or that I screwd up wicked, or that it shows how much power food has over me and how weak I am with it...? I worry that I wont be successful b/c I am so weak....I mean look what I've done and I KNOW that I am scheduled in less than 6 days....can I recover?

P

oh, and by the way...I feel like crap. I'm not sick with the flu or anything but I can actually feel that crappy food inside of me. I've been almost 3 weeks with huge reductions of sugar/carbs and junk and now i feel horrible inside and tired too. It really is not worth it huh?

I'd be shocked if a doctor actually postponed surgery because you only lost 2 pounds. I lost 5 and they were THRILLED.

Generally, the pre-op diet is used to reduce the size of your liver. It sits right in front of the top of your stomach...which is where the surgeon needs to work.

If your doctor wanted you to lose a significant amount of weight before surgery, he should check your weight before scheduling the surgery.

Don't beat yourself up about "cheating."

First, it's not a good time of year to be on a liquid diet. Between holiday treats and family gatherings, I'm amazed at your restraint.

Second, WLS shouldn't be about adhering to a super strict diet. If we were good at that, we wouldn't need the surgery. Yes, we need to eat healthy foods, but we don't have to suffer. For me, the band is a tool that lets me eat whatever I want...just in very, very small quantities.

The band is not about willpower. Don't let any perceived slip ups make you feel like a failure. You can do this...you just need faith in yourself.

Thanks Sandi for the words of encouragement. I am right there with Poodles. Trying very, very hard to adhere to the pre-op diet and have made a few slips. I am scheduled to be banded on the 31st, 6 days away and I to am worried about postponement. My starting weight is 235 and I hope my liver will not be bothersome. I will be totally DEVASTATED if after all this time, dr. appoints., money, stress, and worry if I will not be banded.

I also do not find comfort in those who say "you can do it for your life" or "make the sacrifice for the two weeks". To me, to be on a total liquid diet over the Holidays is like putting an alcoholic in a liquor store and asking him not to touch. If my will power to turn away food was strong, I wouldn't be 85 pounds overweight in the first place. I think to be on the pre-op diet over the holidays is the worse possible, imaginable time and I don't wish it on anyone. Believe me, I tried everything short of begging to change my surgery date to no avail.