Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach virus and vomiting

I've been banded a little less than five months, and I'm at a pretty good level of restriction at the moment. Starting a couple of hours ago, I started vomiting - not the kind where you get rid of a little food that's stuck above your band. I keep heaving and heaving, but nothing comes up - it feels like the food I ate for dinner got past the band, into my main stomach, before the vomiting started, and now my body is trying to dump it, but the food can't get past the band to get out. Has anyone else experienced this before? Do I need to be worried?

I'm sure it's just a minor stomach virus; my two-year-old was vomiting on Sunday night but was fine by midday Monday, so I'm not really that concerned about the virus per se. What is worrying me is that I keep vomiting, really hard, heaving vomiting, but nothing comes up, just saliva.

I think you need to be unfilled if that happens. Does anybody know? Call your doctor just to be safe - even after hours. It sounds urgent.

Vomiting *can* cause slippage, but like the complications of erosion and slippage, the number of times this actually occurs are very small.

I went to two differnet doctor's seminars and I asked the qeustion about vomiting and neither displayed the least concern. They said it happens, and most people can still throw up, as if it were nothing. I'd tend to take a bit more serious a view than that, but its not a reason to panic that all is lost.

I keep on hand anti nausea medication - I have 3 kids, someone is always chucking. If its more than a random spew as kids tend to do, then I start popping pills because by the time you realise your kids have a stomach bug, they're already been all over you and the entire house with it, you probably ARE going to come down with it. However, I find that I usually get a bit sick and get diarrhoea but I dont get the vomits.

Anyway, having medication to hand gives you peace of mind and if you can get in to get unfilled I'd take that precaution too, unless its already passed.

My doctor actually gave me phenergan to have on hand JUST IN CASE I ever got a stomach bug. Call tomorrow and ask your surgeon what if anything you need to do.

Well, the vomiting has calmed down; it's been about six hours since the last episode. I'm not going anywhere near solid food until the stomach cramps stop. My doc's office is not open yet, but I'm going to call when they open in a little while. I vomited like crazy from the anesthesia after my surgery, and they gave me Phenergan - that stuff is a miracle. My husband was just banded less than four weeks ago, so I might ask our nurse for drugs for him - he hasn't shown any nausea yet, but I am afraid vomiting for him would be more dangerous since he's not had nearly as long for the needed scar tissue to form around his band.

If I learn anything else interesting, I'll post it here. Thanks!

I get Migraines and had a bad one, with a lot of vomiting (actually severe dry heaves but my body thought it was vomiting), 10 days after I was banded. I called my surgeon because I was afraid I would bust the stitches or cause a slip and he wasn't worried. He called in a script for some anti-nausea meds and all was well. I'll definitely keep those meds around, though, for next time. It was not a pleasant experience even if it didn't damage my band :smile2: