Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I experiencing?

For the past 2 weeks I didn't follow the diet, and ate whatever I want, whenever, and had no problems (i think because i'm not filled enough/may have a leak). Anyway.. Today I finally realized I paid $13, 000 for this and I had better get into healthy eating.

After 2 weeks of eating footlong subs, mcdonalds, ice cream, what not.. I had my half cup of potatoes and chicken.

I ate this, and then I had these LOUD gurgling noises coming up and slimey ness coming up.. it's still happening, and this is why I'm posting because it's driving me nuts.. i'm not liking the feeling. Anyway.. i've never had a problem with potatoes or chicken before and now i'm spitting up slime.

Isn't this weird? that just yesterday I could tolerate ANYTHING? and today, I finally stick to it.. and this happens.

Any explanation for this?

Thanks

You sound like you are stuck and sliming. Keep spitting it out. You may need to go ahead and spit up whatever is stuck. Kind of like a small vomit. It's hard to get used to chewing well enough and taking smaller bites, but obvoiusly your band is there and your money isn't wasted!

Did you have a fill 2 weeks ago? I see you have been banded for about 2 months. Just wondering what is different? It seems hard to bleieve you were able to eat a footlong sub with a band, let alone a fill. How long did it take you to finish a footlong?

More info, we'll get to the bottom of it. As for the sliming, it will stop when whatever is stuck passes on through or comes back up, whichever comes first.

I had a fill of 3.5 cc June 27th, I felt nothing, so I went back the week after and got one more cc, so I'm at 4.5cc, I felt no restriction whatsoever... i could eat and drink at the same time, basically I could eat like I could before I got the band, A LOT at one time. So, my last fill was about July 4th, and even almost the next day I was eating bad stuff/tons of quantities. I could eat the footlong sub in maybe 10 mins, I just chowed down.

Whatever it is that's stuck, will it always come up, or can it pass?

If it's small enough or melts enough in there it CAN pass. It's so aggravating though, to have something stuck, I just lean over the sink and let 'er rip. One good heave usually does it. It's mostly lots of slime and some food, it's not your regular vomit. I don't know what's worse, to PB or let your stomach sit in turmoil for hours! I prefer to let 'er rip. Stuck is stuck. It either HAS to go down or come back up.

People talk about fills kicking in after a week or two. This has happened with you, I guess, but it's also the kind of food you eat. I do okay with toasty sandwich bread, but cheesy potatos, unless they have lots of sauce, will get stuck. Go figure, it's a live and learn thing, but this is something you want to avoid, yes?! YES!!!

Are you still sliming? I'm sorry.

OH! Stand in the doorway and reach for the top of the door jamb. This stretches me out and seems to help the stuck feeling...try that, lemme know

aww, thank you for the support. I'm home alone right now and I'm a wimp when it comes to stuff like this :)

I am still sliming, lol.. sometimes it stops for a few mins, but then it kicks in gear and I have to spit every second!

I'm actually dreadfully afraid of vomit, and i knew going into this I probably would vomit, a lot, actually, but now that's reality, it's a whole different ball park!

*wipes slime from mouth* how pleasant!

I'll just have to wait this one out :)

I can't even imagine what would have happened if I were naughty again and got subway, lol.. it would be ten times worse!

I'm happy this happened in a way because it's basically giving me a quick kick in the butt!

Thanks again for your support :)

Try the arms above the head stretch and open up your diphragm, see if that loosens things up. Glad you are home alone.

Here's a funny story, it may make you laugh in between slime wipes, LOL!

We went out for dinner tonight, me, hubby, our 2 kiddos. I ate a small bite of chicken salad, chewed well, and swallowed. Sure enough, stuck. I sat still for a minute, tried to let it settle on through, then thought, okay, I'll take a small sip of Water, maybe that will help. No. I sat there with Water in my mouth that I couldn't swallow. I couldn't talk, the waitress was coming around the corner and I wanted to ask for more hollondaisse (sp?) sauce for my broccoli, I didn't know what to do...I had a mouth full of water and spit I couldnt' swallow, a small, uncomfortable but not terrible stuck feeling in my band and nowhere to run. Rather than waiting until it all passed, not wanting to miss the waitress, I discreetly spit out the water into my napkin...whew! I could talk! I asked for my hollondaisse, and looked down and water/spit had dribbled all down the front of my dark red shirt...EWWWWW! I was so embarrassed!!

Anyhow, be happy you are alone!!! :)

awww, there must be millions of funny stories like this with people who have been banded, I can totally picture myself in that situation.

Here's the update, lol. I started spitting A LOT, so I knew I was going to puke. I felt sick all over, so I ran the the bathroom, bend over, CLOSED MY EYES, and sure enough, it came up. I didn't see it, but it was all slimy because I had to pull part of it out (sorry for the detail, very grosse, I know!). INSTANT RELIEF. Oh my goodness, i feel great now, I could ride a horse.

Yeee-Haaawwww, ride 'em cowgirl! The relief is amazingly instant, yes? Dont' worry about the details...I know all about it. At least you aren't in a restaurant!

Whew! So glad it's over. Welcome to Bandland. Your first, and hopefully last! PB.

You deserve a banana. :banana

Stacey, now you really have to baby your esophagus for a day or so. A really bad PB like that can lead to ongoing irritation if you don't let it rest. Stick to liquids for at least the next couple of meals.

This was your bandster initiation, and now you know it's not kidding around. EAT SLOWLY and take very small bites. Pay attention when your stomach says it's full and walk away. Trying to get down just one more bite can really have some negative consequences. Welcome to bandland!! :)

Oh Stacy I am so sorry you had to go through all of that but I am glad that Kathy was there for you. She is so smart!! Stacy I also weigh 4 something... I thought I was the only fuller banded people out here. I was banded July 8 and I am glad I did it.

I found out that I could eat certaina things during the liquid stage and I got stuck with all things.... a hot dog. That was just wrong and stupid, I knew better but it was one of the best things that could have happened. I asked myself what are you doing, you got this band for a reason. A lot of time, sweat and tears went into this so why set yourself up for failure. So I am sticking to the plan, I don't eat bread and I am eating when I am hungry, I'm drinking my Water and Protein shakes to stay hydrated and keep my hair. (You know that 79 grams of Protein a day)

All that to say, you had the surgery for a reason. "LOVE YOURSELF ENOUG TO DO THE RIGHT THING":banana COME ON.. ..WE CAN DO IT, DO THE banana DANCE!!!

Ok, I feel better after reading all these experiences. I have only had the band for 11 days and recently have not felt full by just liquids...so even though I wasn't supposed to yet, I started trying softer foods like Pasta (ABC's and 123's, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti) and I tolerate it very well. Then <gasp> I had a moment of insanity and ate pizza. I am worried because so far today I have had 3 pieces of pizza and macaroni and cheese. Not all at once, but still, I feel like I shouldn't be able to eat 2 pieces of pizza without being full. Then I get upset and say, you shouldn't even be on soft foods yet!!! I should still be on liquids!!! But I get so hungry and I have very poor impulse control, and I seem to be tolerating it fine!!!! Am I just a fast healer or do you think my stomach is stretched??? I am so worried I spent all that money and stretched my stomach in 11 days because I couldn't even stick to a liquid diet for 2 weeks :huytsao . I am upset/panicked/worried/sad.....please help!

I haven't had solid food since June 26th - and I am one who is totally *ready to eat*. So, the past couple days I have had one bit of what my daughter eats - just once a day - it felt so good. I had no problems.

So today, I'm at work and I have a few peanuts (chewed thoroughly), then I decide just a little handful.

Oh my LORD, the pain. It felt like to tore down my esophogus. It just DIDN'T go down. I felt like I had hideous heartburn. It was REALLY painful.

I think three spoonfuls of anything not liquid is as much as I can tolerate, and I was banded on the 30th. Is that normal?

Everyone heals at their own rate. Certainly the docs give us post-surgery food plans that have a medical basis, which is to give us the right amount of time to heal so the band will sit firmly in place. That said, the food plans vary so much that there's clearly a lot of leeway in there.

Carrie, you haven't stretched your pouch--you just don't have any restriction yet so you can eat plenty at this point. HOWEVER, if you're not supposed to be eating solids yet, DON'T.

The golden post-op rule is to FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S INSTRUCTIONS. The best approach during this healing time is to do what is necessary to not get too hungry. It's almost impossible to exercise impulse control when you're starving! So don't get that way. If you're supposed to be on soft foods, EAT until you're not hungry. Stay away from pizza (not a soft food on anyone's plan), and stick with eggplant parmesan. Anything you don't have to chew to swallow is a soft food, and there are LOTS of ways to keep from getting hungry under that guideline.

This too shall pass, ladies. The important thing is to stay off solids as long as your doctor has told you to in order to keep your band still and stable while it's healing in place. You can do it!!

Talk about embarassing PBs. I was out to dinner with a friend the other day. I had 3 small boneless wings. I was probably eating too fast. I felt the worst feeling ever. I couldn't stop burping, I was gonna try to run to the bathroom, but it flew out of my mouth, I had to grap a paper plate that was on the table really quick and use it. Thank God no one was looking while I was pulling slime off my lips!