Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No alcohol for one year?

I know this may make me sound like a lush, but what is the point of this "no alcohol for one year after banding rule" ? I truly don't drink often, or to excess (much to my dismay) but I do occasionally like a glass of wine with diner (or 30 mins before, 1 hr after, I get that part) or to be able to have a cocktail. I understand the bad calories. But if I can factor that into my diet, why no alcohol?

yikes, that would be way too long for me to wait for a glass of wine:wink:.

sounds like that's your surgeons recommendation; they all seem to have a difference of opinions on a variety of post op instructions.

i have wine wkly - i take into consideration it's calories & try to exercise a bit more.

I have never heard of that. I also enjoy having an occasional glass of wine or cocktail and have done so since being banded. Like Luluc I have to count the calories and cut back somewhere else or add extra exercise. Every surgeon is different - ask next you go in for reasoning.

My doctor did not give me that rule. I was told moderation is the key, because alcohol is empty calories.

I will ring in the New Year with a some type of "Cup of Good Cheer."

Ditto to the above.

Sounds like your doctor has a pretty strict idea on alcohol.

I don't drink much, but I do drink about 2 times per month.

Without sounding like one big lush, I have continued going out with friends on weekends and I drink mixed drinks with either flat diet soda or Fruit Drinks. I know it has slowed my weight loss down but I went into this as a life long thing and am not going to change my lifestyle so drastically which is also why I dont keep my band so tight that it limits foods, moderation is what I was looking for.

My Dr also had me sign an agreement form that I will not have alcohol for 1 year then after that will be in moderation.

Hello,

My name is Peggy, I had the surgery a month ago, and my Dr. told me not to have any alcohol for about a month and then so in moderation. My friends had the bypass thing done and they say not to have nay for at least a year. I am starting to have my wine again, maybe two glasses some nights, I know they are empty calories, but hello we have to have some fun sometimes...:tongue2:

My doctor told me no alcohol 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. He also said a little alcohol goes along way in your new 'pouch'. You will be a lightweight. I plan on having wine on New Years Eve:)

Truly, I think this is one of those surgeons thinking bandsters are bypass patients situations - my guess would be that he wants you to make the most of your "window" of opportunity to lose weight. Truth is, with the band there IS no such window.

I stayed clear for a few weeks after surgery, as you do. During the time I was trying to lose, I tried to keep it to a couple of glasses of wine a week. Now I enjoy a small glass (1 standard drink) at night after dinner, maybe five nights of the week.

My clinic's stats are that the regular moderate drinkers lose weight better than non drinkers - although they're unable to offer an explanation why. Certainly moderate wine intake is good for your heart. My mum's cardiologist tells her every time (she had a heart attack last year but is fit as a bull now) to make sure she continues a nightly red wine and to get her 3 daughters to do so too!

My clinic's stats are that the regular moderate drinkers lose weight better than non drinkers - although they're unable to offer an explanation why.

Thats all I needed to hear/read.....CHEERS! HAPPY NEW YEAR! :confused_smile::thumbup:

I have had a glass of wine evenings/before bed for years, its my favorite part of the day somedays! I don't plan on changing after the band. In fact <head hanging low> surgery is this thursday and I had a glass last nite....it IS liquid :confused_smile:

Gosh I'm bad

My doctor says no alcohol or soda for 6 months after that in moderation..so everyones right peoples doctors all have there own rules...do what u feel is best for u...good luck

I was only told to avoid it so i massivley cut down to once every couple of weeks and drink vodka and cranberry juice or white wine.

Interesting indeed - my doctor allows us to drink in moderation as long as it's not carbonated. Sounds like you're getting the short end of the stick!