Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so had surgery 12/3. Was 340. Weighted 12/9, 328. I am thrilled. I was on pure liquids; ie. crystal lite, 2 Protein Shakes a day, broth, Water, popsicles. But, I am a fast healer, and really began getting hungry. Called my dietician 12/10, said to start mushies. Mashed potatoes, thicker Soups, stay with same liquids. My check up is 12/15.

Sooo. the past 2 days I have incorporated egg drop Soup, mashed patotatos, 2 cups of mushies aditional, which has helped a lot, but I am 336 today!!!! I cant get on my wii fit, I really just blew my mind.....I am not eating any type of crap food, but how can a gain 8 pounds in two days and not even enjoy it>?:wink2:

Any ideas?

Our bodies adjust really quickly to low calorie intake so when we start mushies its an increase in calories. The body says yay more food better store this in case it goes back to what it was. It will adjust again, just give it time. I only got banded on monday still on fluids but i have read this is common so its a problem i'm expecting too. Good luck

Ok, so had surgery 12/3. Was 340. Weighted 12/9, 328. I am thrilled. I was on pure liquids; ie. crystal lite, 2 Protein Shakes a day, broth, Water, popsicles. But, I am a fast healer, and really began getting hungry. Called my dietician 12/10, said to start mushies. Mashed potatoes, thicker Soups, stay with same liquids. My check up is 12/15.

Sooo. the past 2 days I have incorporated egg drop Soup, mashed patotatos, 2 cups of mushies aditional, which has helped a lot, but I am 336 today!!!! I cant get on my wii fit, I really just blew my mind.....I am not eating any type of crap food, but how can a gain 8 pounds in two days and not even enjoy it>?:wink2:

Any ideas?

Carbs, Carbs & Carbs they are not our friend they turn to sugar!! Protein is the key... egg beaters are low cal high protein, pureed chicken *Fish also high and protein. sometimes thick soups are cream and I have heard from people that they do see wight gain when drunking them. Good Luck!!

8 lbs in 2 days sounds like Water retention to me. Make sure you're not overloading on sodium, and drink as much water as possible. Also, count your calories for a few days to see what's really going in.

My weight loss stalled when I started on mushies (at 3 weeks post op) and only this week (6 weeks out) started to drop again.

Be patient with yourself during this healing time, and be sure to have an eating plan in place because until you get fills and get restriction you WILL be hungry.

Yes, June Water retention makes sense. Thinking about how much they plug into your iv, and then I started walking, yogo and light aerobics on the wii fit, my body decided it would hold on to everything.

I promised myself I would not let myself freak when this happened, since I have heard or read about it so much in the past....but there I went. I am trying to train myself to not drink when eat, and yesterday especially after broth with egg in it..(egg drop soup) I drank Water in between, which is a no no I am pretty sure.

Anyway, thanks ya'll for the help!:wink2:

I dont know if its a good idea but I am going in for the lap band on Tuesday the 16th and after reading a lot of your posts I have decided not to weigh myself every day and maybe just look at the scale every 2 weeks or so. That way I will surely have lost weight and it will make me feel good about myself. If I got back on the scale and saw an increase I am afraid I would really get depressed. Just food for thought.

I'm a newbie but a life long dieter and I say first I would say throw out that scale.!!...it's such a trap. This is a lifetime process. I saw on the new Doctor's show that when we eat very few calories from BAriatric surgery and our body gets used to it ...it will become a fat making machine. SO as soon as you are healed and you can have a fill and you are settled into this...you can up the calorie intake and eat more. Now it's just about healing.

best toyou,

I agree with you all about the scales but it is so tempting!! I was banded on Dec 4th, have lost 17 pounds, and am scared to start to eat too much more. I started walking today to offset some of the additional calories.