Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Band out -- New Realize Band In

You left out the link...

Also, please do not tell people to "mind their own business". First, moderation should be left to the moderators. Second, everyone here is entitled to post their opinions and participate in the discussion -- there is no requirement to be an MD or even to be a "member of the medical profession" to post here.

Rockbandster is extremely adamant about promoting the Lap Band and bashing the Realize band. I have been noticing this for a while now and no longer pay much attention to his/her posts. However, I wonder if he/she is on Lap Band's payroll? I have never seen such determination and passion from one person about one specific topic. What's the real deal here?

We have no waying of checking on the accuracy of what any member says.

The Realize Band has to be put in empty so there wont be any restriction until the first fill, unless your stomach has very sensitive nerves. The Lapband AP is designed to be implanted with Fluid so it begins to work immediately.

Go back and talk to your boss. You didn't get the whole story, you are not correct.

The Inamed band needs saline NOT for restriction but to make it fit around the stomach. It is quite large and no doctor in their right mind would give much restriction off the bat. There is enough saline to make the band fit around each individual stomach. You don't want restriction coming out of surgery, too much chance of an overfill with swelling that will continue to increase for a few days after surgery.

Again, I really think you should just get your boss to post for you so that we don't have to keep correcting you and explaining to you how your band works.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

I'm not spreading misinformation....why don't you back up your claims? You're all talk and no action...

Exactly- your talking like a medical professional but you're not so why don't you mind your own business unless you get some certification?

Show 1 study that has equal weight loss Realize vs Lapband AP from any source -go for it.

Forgive me for my spelling error

Ahhhhh, certification! Those who are certified are NOT medical professionals, my guess is you are a nursing asst. (six weeks of education) or a Certified medical assistant, 9 months of education. You want others certified before writing so it's my guess you are only certified vs. licensed.

You seem to have a real problem with MacMadame. Have you noticed that you are the ONLY one that has a problem with M?

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You understand basics but what you don't understand is why those basics are there. Such as your misunderstanding about restriction at the time of surgery.

What state are you certified in and on what level? You do keep dodging this question regardless of how many times people ask.

I'm not dodging anything..regardless of the amount of training I have or don't, it's probably more than you and your buddy. I have worked with thousands of patients and give lectures on the benefits of surgery and I could care less what you think.

I have gotten at least a dozen private messages thanking me for the info which means I have helped someone.

I do have a problem because she is giving medical advice and she is not a doctor, you are correct.

Rockbandster, you are also giving medical advice...are you a doctor? I have already asked you this twice before, and am asking one final time. PLEASE STATE EXACTLY WHAT YOUR CREDENTIALS/CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES,etc. are.

We know what WasABubbleButt's are, and therefore when she states a medical opinion regarding the band, people respect it. Why should we respect yours when you refuse to tell us what qualifies you to state such opinions?

Edited by *Susan*

I'm not dodging anything..regardless of the amount of training I have or don't, it's probably more than you and your buddy. I have worked with thousands of patients and give lectures on the benefits of surgery and I could care less what you think.

I have gotten at least a dozen private messages thanking me for the info which means I have helped someone.

I do have a problem because she is giving medical advice and she is not a doctor, you are correct.

You give medical advice, someone was on a pre op diet and you told them it was okay to cheat. You told them to go against their doctor's advice because YOU believe a little cheating is fine:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/cheating-68188/#post904413

i was so hungry I ate 2 buffalo burgers (no bread) 2 days before surgery. A little cheat here or there won't matter but DO NOT CHEAT the day before. You need to have an empty stomach on the day of surgery

I kinda think you don't know more than most here. For someone that is soooo educated and lectures to thousands of patients don't you think it's kinda funny that as of 4 months ago you didn't know the shape of the stomach until your doctor told you so?

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/realize-band-vs-lap-band-70603/#post959674

im not sure if softer matters but my doc says the stomach is circular and feels a circular band will give better restriction since it will naturally conform to the shape of the stomach vs the Realize band which is a triangle

One would think an expert such as yourself would have known that before their doc told them.

Or this one:

As of four months ago you were still depending on your doctor for your research. Someone that has worked in a clinical setting, an OR setting, Clinical Research, AND speaks to thousands of patients wouldn't you have known this before your doctor told you? As I recall from your posts according to YOU your doctor talked you into the Inamed band because you wanted the Realize band. But here is another gem showing where you get your info... for a speaker that educates thousands of people one would think you would have known this before your doc told you:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/realize-band-vs-lap-band-70603/index2.html#post973305

:biggrin: My doctor says they have the 2 year data and there's no statistically signifigant difference in 1 one or 2. In addition the larger band had a lower rate (40 something %) because a) it was only filled to 3cc when it should have been filled to 5cc ;) the really large patients have more weight lose so it's impossible to lose that much weight in year.

With all your expert knowledge why did your doctor need to push you one direction or another regarding which band you wanted?

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/lap-band-vs-realize-band-65276/index2.html#post959670

The studies comparing both bands online are the old lap bands, not the new ones. I showed them to my doctor and he assured me the LAP-BAND® weight loss is much greater and pushed me towards the LAP-BAND®.

Matter of fact, YOU were going to get the J&J band until your doctor educated you in banding and weren't you just banded recently? As in a few months ago? June?

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/realize-band-vs-lap-band-70603/index2.html#post971924

One thing I did not like on the Realize website is they are comparing 6 year old worst LAP-BAND® trials with the old models and their new trials with the Realize band. I felt that was deceptive marketing, they some how choose to leave off the latest LAP-BAND® trial with 62% weight loss with the new bands in 12 months off their comparison. I didnt "realize" that and asked my surgeon and that is what he told me because I originally was going to get the realize band and my surgeon asked me why. When I said I saw on their site the comparison and the weight loss seemed better he shared the info with me. I don't think thats fair and it made me question them. I glad I have a surgeon who is informed on the truth, you can't trust anyone these days!

Now, I just gotta ask. If you are such an expert in banding, you have done clinical trials, you work in a clinical setting, you work in an OR, you speak to thousands of people about lap bands... why is it that your doctor had to educate you on your own band?

Do you want to give up the fake (unnamed) titles, big claims of your back ground, join the rest of us in this reality, and give up the crap? Or should I continue pointing out the obvious using your own words?

Guess what I found? Ohhhh, this one is a gem. Now, to be honest this is exactly how I would speak in public. I am NO speaker so therefore I don't speak. But for someone who speaks to thousands of people about banding why is it that you struggle for medical terminology?

Now, there are items that I don't know what they are called either such as the staple gun thing, I've referred to it exactly the same but *I* don't work in that industry, the WLS industry. I don't speak in pubic. I don't claim to have all the expertise that you claim for yourself. Check out this:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/realize-band-vs-lap-band-70603/index2.html#post972565

Optifast is the pits , been there myself - Try Lee Labradas Low carb meal replacements- they hold you for hours and are very filling.

no problem...We are all in this together. The LAP-BAND® is also available with a smaller port, you need to ask for it. He said I was too big for it which sucked but I trust his judgement. When my surgeon trained on the Realize Band, the trainers said you need to stitch it on even though they have that staple gun thing, I asked about that too. He says unless he can clear out all the fat and lay the port flat which is unlikely, that port thing doesn't hold. He said the LAP-BAND® had the same thing years ago and they took it off the market because it doesnt work well. He also said the smaller Realize band port is a nightmare for fills because it has no tactile response. He said a lot of times he cant find the port and has to send the patient to xray so they can find it too fill it. The other issue is because the realize band creases and is a triangle, it is very hard to tell how much Fluid is coming in/out.

I then inquired about the website thing and he said the LAP-BAND® company is coming out with a new website which will equal or surpass the Realize site by the end of year. He said the only reason they have this fancy website is because the Realize band is just the Swedish Band from 1996 in a new box and is old technology so J&J is diverting their attention away from the band. He showed me all 5 lapbands and the Realize and I have to agree after seeing them and holding them you can tell the Realize is not bad, but you can tell its old. You can actually see the glue where the band meets the back of it. The LAP-BAND® is just more sturdy and looks like its better quality -IMO

The last thing he said which I can vouch is true, you can check the other threads is I had a feeling of fullness from day one because the new LAP-BAND® are designed to the leave the Fluid in when placed, the realize band has to be left in empty so many patients according to him dont lose weight cause the band is too soft, deflated and empty for 6 weeks while the LAP-BAND® is form fitting, circular and about a third filled when its implanted. I can honestly say I have had restriction from day one and after the first fill its even better.

Again this all coming from my doctor who is certified on both..im just going by what he said and passing this on as information, make your own choices .He leans toward the LAP-BAND® and only does the realize on demand. I think because he already has had to remove 2 Realize Bands since december because they fell apart, he is pro LAP-BAND®.

Al lI care about is losing weight which i am, a lot of on the LAP-BAND® so Im happy. 36lbs since July-Im not complaining!

Either way i hope this thread inspires people to choose the right band for them based on the band and surgeon, not the port or website.

I'm really struggling to understand why an expert such as yourself with all this education and training that you refuse to tell us about, depends so heavily on research information from your doctor. You didn't know these things before he had to explain it to you?

You know, I called it yesterday. I wrote that it sounded like you are parroting someone else's information. I proved myself correct. Now to give yourself credibility you pushed a bit too far with the claims of your background. The clinical studies, clinical setting, OR, speaker to thousands.

Bah...

Ok...this is kind of rediculous. I can't believe anyone is doing research and commenting on what ("rock" whatever the name is) has posted. It's not fair. This person is simply stating something they believe to be true, advocates the Lapband (maybe a little more then alot of other people) But, the second he/she writes their opinion they get jumped at. So yes, I would become defensive, too. Does it matter? I didn't read what someone posted on Lapbandtalk.com to help me decide on what band i was to get, I talked to my doctor and did research from reputable sources. I would hope anyone else would be smart enough to do the same.

Are you kidding me? I think you should find something better to do with your time. It doesn't matter, relax a bit. :biggrin:

Ok...this is kind of rediculous. I can't believe anyone is doing research and commenting on what ("rock" whatever the name is) has posted. It's not fair. This person is simply stating something they believe to be true, advocates the Lapband (maybe a little more then alot of other people) But, the second he/she writes their opinion they get jumped at. So yes, I would become defensive, too. Does it matter? I didn't read what someone posted on Lapbandtalk.com to help me decide on what band i was to get, I talked to my doctor and did research from reputable sources. I would hope anyone else would be smart enough to do the same.

Are you kidding me? I think you should find something better to do with your time. It doesn't matter, relax a bit. :biggrin:

I am relaxed but thanks for the suggestion.

Rockbandster has told people that their doctors are wrong, they have told people not to listen to anyone here, they have told people that they shouldn't post, they have insulted and degraded a great many people. Look through this person's short posting history and see the non stop responses to their nasty posts. People are told if they don't get the "right" band they won't lose weight or they won't lose it well. They are spreading misinformation, inaccuracy, and complete BS. Again, read through the responses this person gets to their posts and you'll see people are sick of it.

To bolster their credibility they made huge claims that are quite obviously not accurate. After 4 months of this it's time someone calls them on their own words. If you don't like that, that's okay. Nobody said you had to like it. But I kinda think MacMadame didn't care for the insults, the newbies don't need to fear they got the "wrong" band, and the truth needs to come out.

If this was the only thread... I'd agree with you. But it's not the only thread RockBandster has done this. Enough is enough.

I do have a problem because she is giving medical advice and she is not a doctor.

I have NEVER given medical advice. Unlike you.

I have pointed out that the Realize band was released in 1996, not 1994 as you keep saying. That is not medical advice.

I have pointed out that there are studies that show the bands perform the same in terms of overall weight loss and have posted links to them. That is not medical advice.

I have pointed out that no one has ever posted a picture of a Realize band wrapped around a stomach shaped like a triangle and that surgeons say that doesn't happen. Again, that's not medical advice.

I have pointed out that putting a band in with a fill doesn't mean you will get restriction faster compared to someone else with a different band or different doctor and that it doesn't mean you'll have restriction right away and that sometimes putting in fill during surgery causes problems. Again, this is not medical advice.

Your problem with me is that when you say things that are misleading or not true, I point that out. Period.

I want people to make their decisions based on accurate information not scare tactics and lies. Post accurate information and I won't have a problem with you.

Edited by MacMadame