Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How about "None of your Damn Business." I didn't have that problem at my job. I guess I just have that look like "You better not ask me anything personal." :cursing:

It's hard for me to relate to people who want to keep this very private. I have been very open and upfront with everyone about this surgery.

there are Many reason for some to keep this private.

medical intervention, no matter what it is - should be personal & private, with HIPPA protection....make that intervention WLS & you'll have more opinions & advice that may not only be unsolicited but downright offensive.

i have kept this private & that of my husband being banded from everyone except my parents & brothers. hubby's family and our best friends have no idea. we agreed the moment we "shared" we no longer owned the journey the way we wanted to - so therefore, no questions - no foul.

to the OP - if your afforded PTO (paid time off) your HR nor your company has the right to know why - medical intervention at best is all they need to know.....wish you well!

It really is a shame that anyone feels they have to keep this secret, but unfortunately not everybody is easy to deal with daily. My difficult person is my mother-in-law. She is so negative that I call her Eyore. What's worse, she tells everybody's business to everybody she meets -- whether they know you or not.

So for some people, it was easy enough to say I was just having a surgical procedure, and they left it at that. Some people don't know I had surgery at all. But For her, if I had a mystery surgery and then began losing weight, she'd probably tell everyone in town she suspects I have cancer. So I told her that my ibuprofen use last year due to a herniated disk caused an ulcer, and I needed to get it fixed. This also helped me explain why I was on a restricted diet of liquids and mushies for a while. I also needed her to watch the kids for the surgery, so I couldn't just not tell her about surgery at all.

I hate that I had to do that... I wish I could just share it with her, but life would be unbearable if I did tell her. She would bring it up at every family gathering where food was involved, pointing out how I can't eat this or that... et cetera.

Luckily though, my husband, mom, and two best friends that do know are sooooo loving and supportive of me. It makes up for it, I think.

However you handle it, do what's best for YOU!

I wish you lots of success!:cursing:

Personally, I don't feel compelled to discuss my private matters with my employer. Hence, when I have medical issues, such as when I had an emergency hsterectomy and gallbladder surgery, I did not see any reason to tell my employer, other than I would be off work due to a medical condition, which is being treated by a doctor.

I don't discuss my health issues, my financial matters, or any information that is personal with my employer. Legally, my employer does not have the right to know this information.

I am sorry that some of you have had such negative responses. I asked my HR director if the company covered it and within 30 minutes she had gotten the information and asked if I wanted to speak to some people in my company who've had lap banding. Although she would not release their names she asked if they could call me. I received calls from three employees...telling me about the procedure, recommending doctors, and being very supportive.

I am sorry that some of you have had such negative responses. I asked my HR director if the company covered it and within 30 minutes she had gotten the information and asked if I wanted to speak to some people in my company who've had lap banding. Although she would not release their names she asked if they could call me. I received calls from three employees...telling me about the procedure, recommending doctors, and being very supportive.

Very nice! :cursing:

I have made the decision to keep this surgery very private. I tested the waters with a few people and got very negative results, thus, knowing how I operate, I believe keeping this part of my journey private will be the right decision for me.

I am wondering what to tell work ( I know my HR people will know what the surgery is) - I had my gall bladder out in 2003, so I can't use that excuse. Is there another surgery that I could mention I had that won't need much explanation? I am not one to make up stories, but know that people will ask ( they are always more direct then I am).

What have any of you said you are doing or why you are out of work?

I said hiatal hernia repair as well. It is kind of a boring surgery in that there is nothing much for people to talk about. It is in the same location and no-one asked any more questions about it. Also, since it is stomach surgery, it makes sense you would be on a slightly modified diet. I never felt bad about saying this, because I did indeed have a hiatal hernia repaired.

However, like the others said . . . you don't have to say anything if you don't want to. I knew that if I didn't say anything it would cause people to ask even more question than they would otherwise.

Hi There,

I am with you, I am going to keep it very very private. The only ones who will know are my husband and my mom and dad.

I get 2 weeks vacation so I plan to begin my vacation on the day of the surgery and try to not even let anyone know that I am having surgery at all.

Breanne

12/8/08 - Seminar at Lahey Clinic

How about hernia repair?

I have told all about my plan, and thankfully have gotten no negative remarks. I am a nurse, maybe that's why??!? Who knows.

Good luck to you