Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

YAY someone else who struggles like me!!!!

I am plateau city! I know I am suppose to be loosing around 1.5-2 pounds a week and it just isn't happening. I snack on stupid crap sometimes and I work at a place that makes yummy fruit juices...which as we all know is an occupational hazard and wasted calories.

A support group is a great idea.

Here is how I track calories and protein: I found this great website from someone on here... LIVESTRONG.COM - Health, Fitness, Lifestyle (not the lance site) I love it because for the most part it calculates EVERYTHING for you. and I love that.

Best wishes to all in this new year!

Welcome AMALTHA!!!!! We can do this and we can support each other through this process!!!!!

Question for you (I ask this of all newbies.. :thumbup: ) What are your specific goals for the month of January?

Mine, as an example, are:

a) Eat within 1500 calories a day

:thumbs_up: Track everything I eat on fitday.com

c) Excercise at least 3 days a week - failing miserably at this one but still gang-ho to do it

d) post on this forum at least 4 times a week.

I CONCUR with everyone - WHITE06 - please tell us your recipe for success!!! You are just knocking this out of the WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have gained 0.4lbs despite eating below 1200 calories a day. This had better be Water WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs_up:

It probably is Water weight. Was there extra salt in the foods you ate? Please don't stress over it. You can not physically gain almost a half a lb of fat if you only consumed 1200 calories. You burn more than that just breathing and walking around each day. Is it close to that TOM?

It probably is Water weight. Was there extra salt in the foods you ate? Please don't stress over it. You can not physically gain almost a half a lb of fat if you only consumed 1200 calories. You burn more than that just breathing and walking around each day. Is it close to that TOM?

Thanks for the logic. I needed that and don't need the gain to take me off track. It will probably fall off sooner rather than later.

:thumbup: checking in...busy week,

Tues - Did curves :tt2: and walked :biggrin:, got Water in, :biggrin: right at 1500 calories :D

Wed - Raining horribly today, had to work over, but did 20 minutes walk on treadmill.

No curves:thumbdown: half Water :D 1200 calories :cool2: lower carbs but still too much :unsure:

Thur - today -

Water in all of it ! :tt2:

walked 30 minutes:thumbup:

curves gym workout :thumbup:

Way under 1200 calories and way under carb goal :thumbup:

Will weigh on monday... hope scales are down by then today up, but i figured because building muscles but only up 2 pounds or possible water wt? :)

Hi Tabithan and others!

THANK YOU for starting this thread. I haven't read every post, but hope you don't mind if I jump in. I've been feeling pretty distressed the last month or so about my progress, lack thereof, and actual regaining, so I went back to this forum and few other places to get remotivated.

Its my fault. I learned to eat around the band. And boy did have I eaten.

Was banded in January 2007, and did REALLY well for a long time. then my success got to my head. I started off at 315, and got down to just about 210 by my one year anniversary. then it crept up to 215. back down to 210, then LOTS of hard work to 205 as of July 2008. I was so proud of myself, and got very lazy. stopped writing everything down. started having a few more cocktails and "little bites" everywhere. stopped going to the gym 2-3 times a week. then more and more "little" bits here and there. Things I never craved before appealed to me more than ever... dips, salty foods, fat based foods (cheese and Mayonnaise things, etc).

two days ago I finally weighed myself again and I am back up OVER 230. that's 25 pounds in less than 6 months!!!!

What am I doing?!?!?! As of Tuesday, I am turning over yet another new leaf.

Maybe this whole thing isn't just a change in how we live and eat, but a series of constant changes and adjustments. I don't know. But I really have to get to 180 or 175 to have my BMI in a safe range. I don't care as much as I should about how I look, but I do care about my health... so now I need to prove it to myself... again!!!

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize that anyone else had this problem. I really didn't expect to, but here I am.

Before getting the surgery I was 70 lbs overweight. (I'm six feet tall too and female too, by the way!) I was banded in July 2008. I lost 25 lbs. prior to my surgery, and then lost about 10 more over the following three months. Yay! I was half way to my goal, but then something bad happened: I started to plateau. A month later something even worse happened: I started to GAIN!

At my last visit to my surgeon I was humiliated to see that I now only weight about 3 lbs less than when I was banded. So, I've not only not lost anything since September, I've gained nearly 7 lbs.

Like you, Tablithan, I paid way too much for these kind of results.

I was in denial for a while, and now I'm back to doing what's helped me lose in the past. I know this is weird for a bandster, but I joined Weight Watchers Online. I really need to get a grip on how much I'm eating, and I thought the tools there (which also work well on my cell phone) would keep me going. I'm only 3 days in, so I have no results to boast about, but I'm following the plan, and eshewing Cookies and ice cream.

I also went back to the gym this week. When I've been successful at weight loss before I worked out. Hard. At least three times a week. Since I've been banded, I've just been walking -- and not even every day.

As hard as it is to admit that I've been lax WRT food and exercise, it's kind of empowering to realize that I do have control over what's happening with my weight.

Everyone told me, and I even repeated the mantra -- "the band is only a tool that helps you do the hard work." I guess I thought it would do most of the work for me. *sigh*

I'm back in reality now, and I miss my bad habits a little, but I want to make this work.

Thanks to all of you who have been honest about their failures. It's good to know I'm not alone. It makes me feel like less of a lost cause.

Thought I would check in before going to bed. THANKS so much for all of the comments, you all motivate me to press on. I guess thats what we all need to do.

Several people have asked me what Im doing to lose. The only thing I can think of that Im doing different is I finally got all of the sugar out of my system and made my mind up to take one day at a time. After 4-5 days of measuring and suffering I think my band just shrunk a little, because I cant eat over 3/4 or 1 cup at a time now. Believe me before I cut down I was eating 4-5 cups at a time with no restriction.

I dont know what else to tell ya, but since getting the sugar out of my system, Im not craving it all the time..............thanks goodness.

Hope everyones well.

(My uncle came off the ventilator tonight, thanks for the prayers):grouphug:

I just need to say thanks to you all, Tabithan especially. If it weren't for you finding me and inviting me over I don't know what I've had done. I'm now back on track. So far I'm down 4 lbs and don't feel so depressed being a failure. I even have enough motivation to get in some extra exercise. Thanks Again to you all. I'm here for you as you were for me.

Weighed in this morning and I have lost 10.6 lbs. since Dec 30th :cool::thumbup::regular_smile::thumbup::cursing::thumbup::cursing:

Got to run!! Talk to ya later!!!!

My Dear Fellow Strugglers,

I fell back into my bad habits. I had gained 0.4lbs as I mentioned earlier. Then when I weighed yesterday, I had gained another 1.6 lbs, bringing my total gain this week to 2lbs. This put me from 239.6 to 241.4lbs exactly, in about three days. I have to admit that this completely disoriented me. On Thursday night I indulged in icecream right before bed and stuffed myself until it was uncomfortable. Yesterday I had starbucks for Breakfast, then I had lunch with a coworker and ate the WORST food, came back home and polished it off, ate chicken and more ice cream. And - OF COURSE, in true Tabitha fashion, I didnt post on LBT yesterday. I was in emotional pain. I think the gaining of 2lbs after doing so well was just too difficult to take.

Well, I FORCED MYSELF to weight today, despite the horrible diet I had the last two days, because I knew I would have to come and REPORT my doings here on LBT. THe GOOD, the BAD, tbe UGLY. And there is GREAT NEWS!!!

I HAVE LOST - OVERNIGHT - 1.6 of the 2lbs I gained in the last couple of days!!!!!! Now that tells me this was Water weight!! Yet I was SABOTAGING MYSELF the last two days because the 2lbs made me miserable. If I am slowly learning anything, it is that for ME, I shouldnt PIN MY SUCCESS only on the scale. Because when I do, if it doesnt move in the direction I want, my corresponding actions are the VERY BEHAVIORS that have made me fail my band.

Thank you all for your support and continuing to post the last couple of days. It has helped. I am BACK IN GREAT spirits and have decided to go to the gym today.

Thanks for listening. talk to everyone SOON!!! Keep up the good habits!!!

Edited by Tabithan

Weighed in this morning and I have lost 10.6 lbs. since Dec 30th :cool::thumbup::regular_smile::thumbup::cursing::thumbup::cursing:

Got to run!! Talk to ya later!!!!

Oh, White!! You are raising my spirits!!! Good GOING!!!

I just need to say thanks to you all, Tabithan especially. If it weren't for you finding me and inviting me over I don't know what I've had done. I'm now back on track. So far I'm down 4 lbs and don't feel so depressed being a failure. I even have enough motivation to get in some extra exercise. Thanks Again to you all. I'm here for you as you were for me.

Kaelin's G Ma - We are ALL rooting for you!!! Great going!!!!!!!! It's amazing what happens when we recommitt to using the band as a tool. It is almost like the band had been hibernating for a while. Please keep posting and updating us on your progress. Good, Bad, or UGLY!!!!!!!!!

I see you joined the valentine's day weight loss challenge. I joined too and love it because it is a short-term goal. I am better at short term - month and a half, and not too good at the long term - year out. I cant wait to see your success by valentine's day. Keep it going!!! Really great work!!!

Wuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:thumbup:

:thumbup: checking in...busy week,

Tues - Did curves :tt2: and walked :biggrin:, got Water in, :biggrin: right at 1500 calories :regular_smile:

Wed - Raining horribly today, had to work over, but did 20 minutes walk on treadmill.

No curves:thumbdown: half Water :cursing: 1200 calories :cursing: lower carbs but still too much :unsure:

Thur - today -

Water in all of it ! :tt2:

walked 30 minutes:thumbup:

curves gym workout :thumbup:

Way under 1200 calories and way under carb goal :thumbup:

Will weigh on monday... hope scales are down by then today up, but i figured because building muscles but only up 2 pounds or possible water wt? :cool:

IBBANDED - Look at your progress and recommittment since returning. Really really nice!!!!!! I have a big smile on my face as I type this. Keep it going. And as someone on the thread said to me (i forget who but I think it was Crzytchr) it is impossible for us to gain fat on 1500 calories. I wish I had REALLY LISTENED before self sabotating for two days. So with your workout and the quality and quantity you are eating, the scales have nowhere to go but down. Plus yes, you may be gaining muscles which weigh more than fat, but mean more to our health, our metabolism and our SIZE!!

Keep going, chica! Two thumbs up!!!!:thumbup:

Hi Tabithan and others!

THANK YOU for starting this thread. I haven't read every post, but hope you don't mind if I jump in. I've been feeling pretty distressed the last month or so about my progress, lack thereof, and actual regaining, so I went back to this forum and few other places to get remotivated.

Its my fault. I learned to eat around the band. And boy did have I eaten.

Was banded in January 2007, and did REALLY well for a long time. then my success got to my head. I started off at 315, and got down to just about 210 by my one year anniversary. then it crept up to 215. back down to 210, then LOTS of hard work to 205 as of July 2008. I was so proud of myself, and got very lazy. stopped writing everything down. started having a few more cocktails and "little bites" everywhere. stopped going to the gym 2-3 times a week. then more and more "little" bits here and there. Things I never craved before appealed to me more than ever... dips, salty foods, fat based foods (cheese and Mayonnaise things, etc).

two days ago I finally weighed myself again and I am back up OVER 230. that's 25 pounds in less than 6 months!!!!

What am I doing?!?!?! As of Tuesday, I am turning over yet another new leaf.

Maybe this whole thing isn't just a change in how we live and eat, but a series of constant changes and adjustments. I don't know. But I really have to get to 180 or 175 to have my BMI in a safe range. I don't care as much as I should about how I look, but I do care about my health... so now I need to prove it to myself... again!!!

Hi Anne,

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! Yes, please join us - we would love to have you!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. I got mixed emotions from reading it - the first was pride in your losing almost 100 lbs - WOW - Who wouldnt be proud!! Nice work. The 2nd was empathy about the regaining of some of the weight - because I know how emotionally distressing that can be. But I think you are doing what everyone on this forum has decided to do - to recommitt. The very first step to our long term success.

I have two questions for you:

a) What are your specific goals?

:cool: Are you willing to share with us, and continue posting, good, bad or ugly? So we can Celebrate through the good times and lift you up and help get you back on track when things are not going as you want???

Please let us know your goals so we can help keep you accountable. Again, WELCOME and we look forward to a shared journey!!!!