Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Openly Disgusting - Why Lose Weight?

OK... Let's get down and dirty here.

Even in this forum, I noticed people pussy-footing around the issue of weightloss and being fat.

So let's hear the real down and dirty stories as to why you are losing weight, what you WON'T miss about being fat, and what will keep you from going back.

(note that there are plenty of threads that can talk about "I did it to save my life..." I want to have some fun and hit more honesty.)

I will give three things to kick us off.

One: I don't like people looking nervous when I get into an elevator. (OK... that was more of a joke to warm things up.:thumbup:)

Two: Actually being able to wipe myself - a digusting but true thing that some of you not so extremely fat folk may not relate to, but I am sure that I am not the first person to find a shower massage to be a hygene tool. - Never want to get back to that point again!

Three: Making love to my wife, and actually making it work! This week was the first time in 3 years that we made love (lots of pleasuring each other, mind you... and yes, ladies, I have a trick that can bring her to that pleasure point... ) But this is the first time since before we got married that "Little Boy" actually visited "Little Girl." Life just gets better.

OK>>> There's the honestly... Now let's here your unspoken stories as to what will make living thinner better:thumbup:

I second your list and add...

Strangers (guys) noticing me when I am out-and-about... Its been a few years since I've enjoyed that! And more importantly being noticed more by DH!

Getting dressed is easier. Pre-band it was difficult not only to have clothes fit and look halfway decent but it was also difficult to get into some of those outfits. Bras, pantyhose and shoes with laces were especially difficult.

Less sweating...the sweating was humiliating at times.

Less sweating...the sweating was humiliating at times.

Totally agree with this one. I used to sweat ALL the time...it was soooo embarrassing. It's funny because now I stay cold all the time. Never thought that would happen, lol.

I certainly don't miss always being the biggest person in the room. My confidence is soooo much better now.

Another thing....it used to be a real struggle to get up off the couch. It was embarrassing, especially at social functions. It's so nice to be able to get up with no problem now.

I only sweat (to any sort of extent) on the bridge of my nose, but I almost always did it, which made it a pain to keep my glasses up.

Now I am always cold too! I like it :thumbup: I can't remember the last time I broke into a sweat.

Crossing my legs is a biggie, and fitting into the ridiculously small seats at musicals & plays.

My main reason really was a health thing, the crippling lower back pain I had for years.. I forgot what being able to walk 20ft without pain was like.. so I love walking around grocery stores, parking far away from places, or even when we went to Vegas for our wedding a few months post-op, it was the first time I'd been to Vegas since a bad episode I had there where I collapsed on the floor in the middle of the Forum and bawled asking my husband to just leave me there because I couldn't walk anymore.. and when we were there for the wedding, 115 degrees and all I walked for miles around the strip without batting an eye. That was a beautiful moment for me and made the band worth it right then & there.

As Laura mentioned, I hate going to events and barely being able to stuff myself into those little, itty bitty seats, it was so embarrassing.

I also avoided eating at public functions. I always felt like everyone was staring at me, the fattest girl in the room and thinking "why is she eating, she needs to stop eating".

Lastly, I just wanted to feel like a sexy woman again. I am not as young as I used to be and I want to feel good about myself again.

Ok, here goes.

#1. To get rid of that fat that hangs down from my gut that sits in my lap when I sit down.

#2. To be able to actually wash there and keep clean.

#3. Like you said to actually be able to wipe myself after going to the bathroom without feeling like I'm going to choke myself.

#4. To for once in my life time before I die be smaller than my middle sister! (She's the perfect one you know!)

#5. To feel at least semi sexy for my 50+ years!

#6. To be able to tie my shoes/boots without getting so out of breath.

etc...... etc...... etc.

There I said it!

*takes deep breath and plunges in*

1. To be able to see certain body parts (no real reason, just cuz) without needing a mirror.

2. Wiping. Yeah, that one's a good one. I wasn't to the point where I couldn't reach, but I could see that happening...

3. Showering with my hubby again.

4. Sweating. Can anybody say butt-crack sweats when you get up from the pleather salon chair after getting your hair cut? Or any chair that shows sweat, for that matter... :blush:

5. Getting up from the couch in one graceful movement rather than moving and heaving and moving again and getting a rolling start.

6. Not getting winded after two minutes of lovemaking. 'Course that means I'll have to re-train the hubby, but hey... lol

Steve, I find your honesty commendable. It's a super cheesy cliche', but the best thing for for me is being able to physically be "superman" again for my younger kids....they have a lot of generalized anxieties, and it's important to me that they feel like I can handle anything that might come up. Simply put, I like it that they think I look like a badass, instead of a fatass.

Wait, you reproduced?! There's little plains in the world?

And man are they crazy. Brilliant, but crazy. It runs in the wife's family.

OK will my bald there it is admission be the one that starts a shitfight, lol?

I will openly,happily and PROUDLY admit that whilst I did this to prevent future health problems (at a BMI of 36 I didnt have anything serious YET) my main reason was because l looked disgusting. I was a fat pig. I hated the way I looked, it was unattractive, unfit, ungroomed. I never felt pretty or like I took good care of myself, despite actually being well groomed, I always looked like a slob.

I'm sorry to offend people who have lost from a BMI of 50 down to 35 and are feeling great about themselves. It seems around here often you are not allowed to say a BMI of 35 is fat but it is. I looked awful naked, even worse on the beach trying to cover it up. I had cellulite and rolls and a big beefy face.

I looked horrible and i hated it so I had WLS to look better. I had it to feel better too and I feel FANTASTIC and I think (if I do say so myself, hehehe) that I look pretty freaking great for a 41 year old mother of three too!

But not plastic surgeried till within an inch of my life fake perfect - I look REAL PERSON good.

That's not to say at all that I dont look at other larger people and think "she's gorgeous" or "I love what she's wearing" - yes women mainly look at other women that way, lol. And I actually find a more cuddly guy much more attractive than buff gym boys. Peh. They dont look like they could ear $200K a year and do the football run on Saturdays with their kids! I like a bit of cuddle to a guy.

Wow, lots of honesty here! My reason were:

1. To be able to play the guitar again without my books getting in the way. Either had to shrink the boobs or grow longer arms.....

2. To be able to live the lifestyle I used to. Lots of sailing and messing about on boats until I found I couldn't get on and off boat anymore.

3. To not feel like I wanted to hide when I saw someone I knew who hadn't seen me in years...how many class reunions did I skip.

4. Bottom line...to stay alive.

I love this thread!!

1) I will not miss having to roll onto all fours and needing to have something industrial strength to push up on to get off the floor

2) I will not miss having to hold my lower belly up while I wash under it

3) I will not miss being overlooked or looked away from by "normal" size people

4) I will not miss BEING FAT!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!

3. To not feel like I wanted to hide when I saw someone I knew who hadn't seen me in years...how many class reunions did I skip.

I have never been to a class reunion for this very reason. :blush: