Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not following the post-op diet.

Hi everyone. I was banded 10/30/08 and have a post-op diet question.

Without being told the dangers of not following the post-op diet, I was wondering if anyone ignored it and ate according to how they felt? Have you had any problems since doing it your own way?

Thanks

ok, me- not banded yet.

My coworker Judi- Blew off the diet, progressed through stages in 10 days not 4 weeks. First slip 4 months out, second at 8 months, slipped with no resolution at 15 months, had to have her band replaced, again blew off diet, second band first slip at 5 months after placement, again at 9 months, Dr will not replace again due to noncompliance, currently no fill, trying to resolve a slip. So she DEFINATELY had problems.

Friend Debra- cut each stage short by about a day or two, 8 days clear liquid instead of 10, 6 days full liquids instead of 7, 12 days mushies instead of 14. She has lost 130 pounds, no problems.

So it depends, I guess on how much you cheat, how good you are at the small bites and other compliance issues, and just sheer luck! So a resounding maybe, I guess.

I guess I am really baffled why anyone would pay this much for a surgery this invasive and then not do what is known to cause success. It makes no sense. A few days of suffering for a lifetime of health is NOTHING.

compare to you all I should be ashamed of myself....I 11 days post-op and already have eaten unmentionable things. I was dissappointed in myself when I got to work and saw that the 10lbs I'd lost last week has already come back. I am starting my liquid stage all over again and will vow to stick to it for 2 weeks. Gosh, I totally lost sight of why I gotten the surgery in the begining. Not to make up an excuse for my behavior but i thought the band would make you feel full? I'm not full or feeling any discomfort. After all this is why I felt I would be successful with this surgery because it would FORCE

OMG....I need help! I am 11 days post-op and I will not admit to the things I am guilty of eating.... I dont feel full, nauseas, cramping or nothing. I was even feeling around my very itchy stitches to see if I truly have the band. Guys I have eaten a bagel....and nothing. Its no secret I am not a discipline person when it comes to food thus me getting the surgery but I thought I would get sick which is what I need to feel so that I do/eat these things....I am going back to the liquids this week and I am going hard......I gotta get this weight off but I am feeling like I probably should have done the by-pass....Not looking for sympathy just some tough love.....HELP!

If you blow off the post-op diet, and don't follow the banding rules this early on . . . how can you be successful in the future?

It is a tough decision to get banded, but those of us who lose the majority of the weight take it seriously in the beginning so that we can have success at the end. For me, I didn't want this to be one more diet plan where I fell off the wagon.

It is best to give yourself these 4 weeks to heal properly and get your lives back in order. What is a few weeks when the results could be your ultimate success and a normal, healty fulfilling life at a closer to normal BMI.

If you have fallen off of the plan, chalk it up to a mistake, try not to feel guilty, and make a decision that you will do what is best for you, starting this minute (not tomorrow or next Monday) and work it one day or even one meal at a time.

It was the best thing I ever did and I have lost almost 100% of my excess weight. We can all be successful at this if we give it our best, no more excuses.

Remember guys, those of us only a couple of weeks post op don't have anything in the bands. So once the swelling is gone, it is pretty much just the regular stomach volume. That means being hungry. It is really tough, especially when the family is eating stuff you love and you're having Soup. But keep thinking about the long term. Whenever I want to eat something the dr told me I shouldn't, I picture going back to the hospital and an open surgery to repair damage. Even if that is an exaggeration, it reminds me why I'm following orders. Be strong. We can do it.

Well, I'm 3 weeks post-op and have followed my pre-op diet but not as strict as some might think yet not as loose as others. I'm on my second week of mushies and have 2 more to go. It's not the mushies that bother me it's the hunger and wanting more to eat. I haven't eaten anything solid though but sometimes my mushies have small chunks and I chew the hell out of it. I would never suggest not following dr.'s orders but to suggest doing the best you can. I personally am afraid to have my band slip and I am doing all that I can to prevent that. It is hard but like others have said a few weeks of hell compared to a lifetime of health is worth it. If you are struggling talk to your nutrionist or your doctor.

Hello,

In the beginning, only a liquid diet is suggested and slowly with the passage of time, solids are introduced once the new stomach is accustomed with the kind of food consumed. In

case of having difficulty in consuming solid food, one must return to the liquid diet again.