Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed from weight lifters

omg, am I the only one here under 6'? Yall are some tall dudes.

B-Man, I'm not taking a precurser right now, but back before I starting losing weight, I used to take muscletech or fast-twith precursers before workout religiously.

I personally used to get a good pump out of taking these. I could get in roughly 10% more reps per musclegroup, which is pretty nice. I'm seriously considering starting back on something like N.O. fast-twitch, but I want to find something completely lean to mix in with grape juice. Something that is JUST the nasty nasting nutrients and few cals or carbs.

VPX's NO Shotgun is very low calorie, and almost no carbs. They make a big deal about creating Insulin without using carbs to do it. I have tried several other precursors, and nothing else has worked as well. The problem with NO is a lot of them cause severe cramps / bathroom problems. NO Shotgun can upset my stomack, but not to severe.

The problem with NO is a lot of them cause severe cramps / bathroom problems. NO Shotgun can upset my stomack, but not to severe.

No gains without pain, little cramp never hurt anybody. I'll try it out, hopefully my gym sells it.

any of you guys using a NO supplement? I started using N.O. Shotgun mixed with whey before my workouts and have seen significant weight increases over the past month or so. Of course it has not helped me get my lazy butt to the gym more often.

the stuff taste absolutely horrible, but I believe its worth it.

B-Man, I use NO Xplode. I like it alot. fruit Punch tastes pretty darn good too. However, I was told not to take any Protein w/i 3 hrs prior to taking it or it will effect how it works. Found out the hard way that it is true for me. Forgot one time and had a really bad workout.

Mike and mrboswell, I just turned 38 last week, so I gained a little on you "old" men.:thumbup:

Oh, and to update, after almost a week back on Protein supplements, I had my best upper body workout in months last Thursday. I KILLED my workout and felt like I was getting stronger on the 3 circuit as opposed to losing strength.

Thanks for the support guys.:thumbup:

You Rock!

How bout a recent picture showing how "big" your getting?

Thank you, thank you.:thumbup: Seriously, I don't think I have a recent one. My avatar is from June of this year. I'll see what I can do.

As for the NO's causing cramping and other problems, I do find I tend to have to get to the restroom prior to working out. Always have. I just look at it as a minor annoyance.

Are any of you yawners?

I yawn a LOT while working out. There's another guy at my gym that lost a lot of weight recently, and I noticed when he works out he yawns the whole time too. Is there a connection?

I yawn a lot myself. I did some research and its not related to weight loss, there is a lot of chatter about yawning while working out.

Its not that uncommon.

OK- Here's the top 10 reasons why you yawn. (I added 9&10 myself!)

1- The deep inhalation during a yawn is means of preventing alveolar collapse within the lung.

2- The deep inhalation while yawning stretches type II alveolar pneumocytes, which release the surfactant dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) into the layer of Fluid on the alveolar surface.

3-A means of cooling the brain.

4- An action used as an unconscious communication of psychological decompression after a state of high alert.

5-An excess of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen in the blood.

6- A way of displaying (or indicative of) apathy or tiredness.

7- A means of equalizing middle ear pressure.

8- Need of food or hunger/ appetite due to reduced level of Glucose supplied to the brain.

9- Because you are bored reading this post!

10- You need work out HARDER!!!

Ok gentlemen, another update. Another 2 workouts done and I felt like I was getting stronger as both of them went on. Even to the point of repping out 12 reps on the bench @ 225 instead of the prescribed 8. I can't believe how much the added Protein helps. If I had not gone through the struggles over the past 4-6 wks, I wouldn't have believed it.

Thanks for the help guys.:grouphug:

I think you guys have inspired me to start lifting again. Right now I am 3 days post surgery but soon. I have done a lot of weights over the years but now will focus on lighter weights and cardio. The days of big powersquat sets are over. My job entails just talking on a cell phone and pointing at things a lot anyway.

Maybe tomorrow I will just visit the gym for a light treadmill walk.

xt-that is a great idea.

I started off with 2 wks of light walks on the treadmill. Prior to surgery, I talked with my surgeon and discussed what I could do and when I could do it. He said after 2 wks, I could start on light weights w/no ab works until after 4 wks. Nothing says you cannot lift heavy though. Just start off with lighter weights and then add weight as you gain your strength back.

You may not ever get to the same weights as before, but compared to your new body weight, it will be more. I know when I was 380 lbs, I could never do 90% of my bw for 3 sets of 12 (90% of 380=342, 90% of 250=225) and that is what I am doing now. And, that is circuit training on top of that. Not 1 set, rest, another set, rest, another set. I do 8 other exercises btwn sets.

You'll get there.

OK- I'm Ready to GO!! I took the first week off, post opp. Last week I started aerobics, 30-45 minutes on the elliptical. This week I'll hit the weights. I broke out an old weight lifting course I followed 20 years ago that kinda goes something like this:

1st week- Light weights, high reps (12-15)

2nd week- Medium weights- mid reps (10-12)

3rd week- Heavy, 8-10 reps

4th week- POWER, 6-8

Six days on with 1 day off.

That's a 3 month cycle and there's 3 or 4 different cycles if I remember right. There is other stuff like specific times on how long you rest between reps and the order you do your body parts and what supplements to take. It worked really good before but I was 20 years younger then, so I guess we'll see how it goes!!:cursing:

Awesome - go for it ! Just be reasonable (the old marathon, not a sprint). Listen to your body. 20 years younger ? Nah, 20 years less experienced !!!