Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed from weight lifters

As some of you know, I have been a "workout warrior" since my banding in late Aug 2007. I haven't had many problems with my workouts. I've lost 135 lbs in that time period and cut my bf% from almost 34% to 17.5%.

I circuit train mainly for my workouts. 3 circuits each workout, split upper body and legs and do each 2/wk. I start with 7 reps and increase by 1 rep each week until I get to 12 reps, a 6 wk cycle. Then, week off and start all over with increased weights and different exercises for each body part. Also, I do at least 50 minutes of cardio on days that I work and 65-95 minutes of cardio on days off. Lately, I've been giving myself 1 day off from exercise completely each week.

Now, this 6 wk cycle has been different. I feel "weak" in the middle of my 2nd cycle. I'm at the tail end of this cycle and I failed on the bench during the 2nd cycle of 12 reps. As soon as I hit rep 7, I knew I was not going to see rep 12 w/o stopping. That has never happened before.

My question is this: Has 15 mos straight of doing this been too much? Even though I have been taking a week off btwn cycles, have I overdone it? Am I reading too much into what happened? Is the fact that I am not taking Protein supplements during the day killing my workouts?

I did stop the Protein shakes during the day to help out our home budget. Do I need to look at cutting something else out to make sure I can purchase the protein?

Any advice would help.

Sounds like a Protein thing to me - are you getting enough without the shakes ? I would think that any drastic cut in protein would have an impact on your workout. I know I rely on my shake in the am (after I work out I do shake to "jump start" my protein intake for the day).

I would say that no I'm not getting enough Protein just by diet alone. I just can't see that I am overworking out as I give myself weeks off btwn. So, I think it must be the protein. Nothing else has changed as dramatically as that in the last month or so.

just popping in the boys room to see mikes response.:thumbup:

had a crappy workout with the trainer this am and i know it was all nutrition..:thumbup: - sometimes, i really can't stand the Protein Drinks.< /p>

just popping in the boys room to see mikes response.:thumbup:

had a crappy workout with the trainer this am and i know it was all nutrition..:thumbup: - sometimes, i really can't stand the Protein drinks.

Have you ever tried Muscle Milk? That stuff is great. I can get about a 1 month supply for $30 at a place up here. RTD's are more expensive, but still great tasting.

Have you ever tried Muscle Milk? That stuff is great. I can get about a 1 month supply for $30 at a place up here. RTD's are more expensive, but still great tasting.

yep thats what i use (chocolate) - i just get bored with them and would rather eat my meals .... but it's no longer enough.

I strictly try to use the shakes as a "supplement". That said, I think it would be hard for me to get all the Protein I need any given day considering my work outs. I do the Isopure fruity thingees. Not great - but not terrible either.

yep thats what i use (chocolate) - i just get bored with them and would rather eat my meals .... but it's no longer enough.

Best part about Muscle Milk is they have so many great flavors. I love the chocolate, chocolate Chip, and Cookies N Cream. I see a pattern here.:thumbup: However, if you mix it with Water, the calories aren't that bad.

I strictly try to use the shakes as a "supplement". That said, I think it would be hard for me to get all the Protein I need any given day considering my work outs. I do the Isopure fruity thingees. Not great - but not terrible either.

Exactly what I was trying to do. Meals alone just aren't going to get it done I guess.

I strictly try to use the shakes as a "supplement".

me too - but had also gotten away from doing that like ceradad & just need to continue.

btw ceradad - too much in common; :thumbup:

Hey Ceradad, (what does that mean?)

I'm glad I found your post. I am recently banded and pray I have the courage to make the most out of this opportunity as you have done. I was a serious body builder for 10 yrs. before injuring my back and getting fat and lazy. A couple of things in your post stand out. 1st, Mike's advice is sound, you are telling your body to build muscle but not giving it all the building supplies. 2nd, you to are right. You have set a very rigorous pace for yourself, with the lack of proper fuel your body was most likely just asking for a break. That said, it is very common to have a routine fail, hit slumps where you see no muscle gain, and lose strength. It will come back, and no your not over doing it, your body can handle that and more with the proper rest, fuel and nutrition. One thing I would suggest is mixing up your routine. I don't know if your looking to get HUGE or just want to be in great shape, but if size is what matters to you now you need to hit the internet and learn all you can. Good Luck!

me too - but had also gotten away from doing that like ceradad & just need to continue.

btw ceradad - too much in common; :thumbup:

I'm starting to think so too. You weren't born in Nebraska were you. Maybe we're related and don't know it. Of course, I'm not sure I want to be related to a damn Giants fan. :thumbup:

Hey Ceradad, (what does that mean?)

I'm glad I found your post. I am recently banded and pray I have the courage to make the most out of this opportunity as you have done. I was a serious body builder for 10 yrs. before injuring my back and getting fat and lazy. A couple of things in your post stand out. 1st, Mike's advice is sound, you are telling your body to build muscle but not giving it all the building supplies. 2nd, you to are right. You have set a very rigorous pace for yourself, with the lack of proper fuel your body was most likely just asking for a break. That said, it is very common to have a routine fail, hit slumps where you see no muscle gain, and lose strength. It will come back, and no your not over doing it, your body can handle that and more with the proper rest, fuel and nutrition. One thing I would suggest is mixing up your routine. I don't know if your looking to get HUGE or just want to be in great shape, but if size is what matters to you now you need to hit the internet and learn all you can. Good Luck!

Thanks mrboswell, that is what I have been thinking for about a week or so. But, thought it could be that I have just done too much over a long period of time. Not looking to get huge. But, nothing wrong with bigger muscles, right?:thumbup:

Ceradad=daughters name is Cera (pronounced like Sara) + I'm her dad. Something I came up with after she was born.:thumbup:

I like that, very cool. Nothing, in my opinion, is better than being a great dad! So now I have a question for you. You are at that stage, no doubt, where working out is as addicting as the food once was. I know because I've been there. My question is how long did it take you to get there, to the point where you genuinely looked forward to your workouts and missing one was not an option? I have tried to pick up the weights many times over the years. I have a basement full of weights and exercise equipment but I never last more than a month. I always said when my son turned 12 I would workout with him.(It's a very bonding experience in my opinion) He's almost 13:frown:. Maybe the band will give me the motivation I need.

dave

mrboswell, to answer your question, it came extremely quick. Like you, I've lifted weights ever since hs and would start and stop all the time. I would get into the gym for maybe 6 mos straight and then something would happen and I would stop for a longer period of time. This cycle went on for YEARS!

When I finally got the band, it was almost like a switch went on. I decided I would not let the band do all the work. I figured if I was going to go to the extreme of having my body cut open (small incisions, I know), I was going to make a lifestyle change. I never liked cardio, hated it even, but I decided I needed it. I started that before the lifting, per dr orders, and haven't looked back.

I would imagine if you and your son were to do it together, and he showed enthusiasm, that will make it so much easier for you.

Good luck.