Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning....I am 7 days post-op and I woke up this morning with bad, bad, BAD:crying: sharp pain in my right side rib area. :laugh:

I have not had any of the gas pains that people talk about, so I am not sure if that is what it is or what it may be.

Anybody out there have similiar experiences??????

Thanks,

G

I was banded on the 3rd and last night could not sleep cuz all of a sudden I was feeling the same sharp pain in my rib area but on the left side. I don't know if it is gas pain or port pain.

I have had the gas pain in my left shoulder and some in my chest but it was literally nothing compared to what I was feeling last night. It is better this morning though.

So hopefully yours will pass too soon.

Edited by crystal1260

Thanks Crystal...You know after your response and you said left side, I realized it was my LEFT not my RIGHT side..:laugh:

Wow, pretty bad when I can not tell my left from right...lol

My pain started sometime early this A.M. and everytime I take a deep breath the sharp pain kicks in..:thumbup:

Hopefully it will subside soon....

G

Thanks Crystal...You know after your response and you said left side, I realized it was my LEFT not my RIGHT side..:laugh:

Wow, pretty bad when I can not tell my left from right...lol

My pain started sometime early this A.M. and everytime I take a deep breath the sharp pain kicks in..:thumbup:

Hopefully it will subside soon....

G

I imagine that the pain you all are feeling is near your port, right? I've had pain (though I wouldn't say sharp pain) for the last 2 days with every deep breath I take, including yawns. Mine is in the middle - coincidentally, that's where my port is. I've asked my girls (my support group - we all had the same surgeon) and they all said this is normal and that it will last a week or two, maybe as many as three weeks. But they stressed that it's normal.

Hi!! I am a fellow bandster (9/17/08) and a nurse. I too had some sharp pains shortly after my surgery which I am sure is gas. To be sure, Gas-x or Mylicon is safe to take to see if the pain is relieved. If you start having pain accompanied by vomiting, then definitely go to the ER. Best of luck to you!!!

I imagine that the pain you all are feeling is near your port, right? I've had pain (though I wouldn't say sharp pain) for the last 2 days with every deep breath I take, including yawns. Mine is in the middle - coincidentally, that's where my port is. I've asked my girls (my support group - we all had the same surgeon) and they all said this is normal and that it will last a week or two, maybe as many as three weeks. But they stressed that it's normal.

Thanks for the reply...it is more in the middle than the side. I don't know about having it feeling like this for a week:crying::thumbup:

I guess I don't have much choice.:laugh:

Thanks again...

Hi,

I had/have the same pain. I was banded on Oct 30th and I had the gas pain in my left shoulder too. Boy, that hurts. Every night at around 5pm it starts, still. But by morning it is gone.

As far as the pain on my left side, now I only get the pain first thing in the morning with a yawn or deep breath, so I am assuming it is related to my port.

I will find out tomorrow at my post-op appt. I will let you know, what I find out.

Good Luck to you!

Hi,

I have and continue to have a sharp pain in my left side from time to time. It goes away however when I move or reposition myself. My surgeon stated that it is most likely the extra tubing leading from the port to the band. Sounds plausible to me especially since it goes away. Ask your doctor.

That was the only pain I had after my surgery (in my ribcage). It'll get better. Mine lasted for 2 days, but I did a lot of walking and had my hubby rub my back on my ribs... he said he could actually hear the gas moving when he rubbed me.

I also took liquid Tylenol and it helped with the pain. Good luck! It'll get better. :D

Wow...thanks for all the responses. Actually, after I posted this morning the dreaded pain in my left shoulder started. :D

I'm guessing that I have been hit by the nasty gas pains.

It is starting to feel better, so hopefully it will only last a day or two.

Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it.:unsure:

G

Thanks for the reply...it is more in the middle than the side. I don't know about having it feeling like this for a week:crying::unsure:

I guess I don't have much choice.:D

Thanks again...

Same here don't know if I can deal with this for weeks. I am having the same pains again tonight.

I feel for ya going though the samething.:tt1:

I was banded on 10/08/08 and two weeks after started having sharp pains in my lower right side. Today I ended up in the Hospital with what I thought was an appendicites attack. After hours of X-rays and a CT scan, they sent me home saying everything looks good it must be complications from you lap band surgery.It may be normal but it sure the hell hurt. I see the Doc on thursday for my first fill. I'll see what he say's and then I'll share it with you.

GOD Bless:rolleyes2:

I was banded on 10/08/08 and two weeks after started having sharp pains in my lower right side. Today I ended up in the Hospital with what I thought was an appendicites attack. After hours of X-rays and a CT scan, they sent me home saying everything looks good it must be complications from you lap band surgery.It may be normal but it sure the hell hurt. I see the Doc on thursday for my first fill. I'll see what he say's and then I'll share it with you.

GOD Bless:rolleyes2:

Wow...that doesn't sound good. Hope that you are feeling better:smile2:

The gas pains are very uncomfortable to say the least.

G

I'm new to the board and was banded on November 7th. I was searching the web today to see if others had the sharp pain described in the original post and came across this board.

I began experiencing sharp pain near my right ribs last night. The pain was intense every time I moved and I couldn't find a comfortable way to sleep. It seemed to hurt whenever I did something that made me use my muscles in that area this morning. It was a sharp pain.

I saw my surgeon today and he said the pain is where my port is and that what I am experiencing is normal. I sure hope so! It doesn't feel bad now but I'm scared to go to bed tonight.

How long did it take for some of you to feel comfortable sleeping? Thanks for the input!