Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone cheat on preop diet?

I know this has been asked before, but just wondering who has and been ok for surgery. I'm on day 6 of a 14 day diet, which includes one 4oz piece of lean meat and green veggies plus 2-3 Protein Shakes. I haven't cheated but I'm gettin twitchy :rolleyes2: Thanks...

i had a 7 day low carb diet, basically all the meat and green veggies i could eat. but i could also have whole milk and fruit.

Day 1 - cheated with 1 miller lite beer

Day 3 - cheated with 1 miller lite beer

Day 6 - when we were traveling to colorado for my surgery, my mom got hashbrowns with her Breakfast at the airport, and i stole 3 of them. they were about the size of a quarter.

in all honesty, i'm convinced that the heavier you are, the more important your pre-op liver-shrinking diet is. i'm a 39.2 BMI, and when i told my doctor about the 2 beers and 3 hashbrowns, he said he didn't think that would matter at all. he's got a story about French Fry Woman - the only person he ever had to turn away because her liver was too big. she couldn't give up french fries, and over her 14 day diet i guess she had them a few days. when he got in there, he couldn't even see the stomach because the liver was so big - but she was a 57 BMI.

i'm not a doctor, so take all this information as just my opinion.

My doctor does not require a pre-op diet but said that if we gain weight, he will not do the surgery. I lost 4 pounds in the begining without dieting before my last appt in July. I got on the scale 3 weeks ago and had gained 11 pounds! I but out all sugar 2 days ago and gained another pound. I meet with the surgeon next week - I am devastated because I'm not running around binging at all and I can't get this weight off - my BMI is a 41-42. My surgery is in 2 weeks -I've been waiting 8 months for this -

Thanks guys...I'm trying to hold out, but I'm also wanting a beer... :rolleyes2: My BMI is 40 and I thought if i had a beer I would be ok, but just so nerve racking. I'm going to do clear liquid diet on my own 48 hours before surgery because I'm so paranoid that my liver will be ginormous! Carbs have always been my mainstay, so just a little scared.

lfein-I'm so sorry, I hope everything goes well for you. I've lost 9 lbs since friday, but it's because I'm sooooooooo hungry, it's hard. Good luck to you, let me know what your surgeon says.

Thanks guys...I'm trying to hold out, but I'm also wanting a beer... :rolleyes2: My BMI is 40 and I thought if i had a beer I would be ok, but just so nerve racking. I'm going to do clear liquid diet on my own 48 hours before surgery because I'm so paranoid that my liver will be ginormous! Carbs have always been my mainstay, so just a little scared.

lfein-I'm so sorry, I hope everything goes well for you. I've lost 9 lbs since friday, but it's because I'm sooooooooo hungry, it's hard. Good luck to you, let me know what your surgeon says.

BEER! Ah yes, yummy beer. I think I'd give up sodas the rest of my life if I could just have beer. Sadly, beer is OUT once you have the band. So it's best to just give it up. It was hard for me, so that's the reason I cheated with a few of them during my pre-op. You're not much bigger than me, so I'm betting you won't have nearly as fat a liver as you think you will. Especially if you've lost 9lbs this quick!

I started pre-op diet on Monday and I have cheated a few times. Two days I had a piece of toast and one day I made applesauce out of a apple at lunch. I have BMI of 37. I just couldnt stomach any more of my meds with no solid food. I too have lost 9 lbs

I am on day 12 of a 24 day preop diet of nothing but Protein Shakes, broth and Jello sugar free pudding. I haven't cheated at all, and I am not planning on it, but we all know how that goes. I carry most of my weight in my stomach, so I am really super worried about my liver being to fatty for surgery. But I have lost 10 lbs so far, so thing are going ok. My surgery is on Nov 19th in San Diego with Dr. Horgan with UCSD. Good luck everyone!!!

OMG some of you are so lucky...my pre op dieat was 4-6 EASE AdvantEDGE shakes and a lean cuisine a day....I didn't chest and I was able to shrink my liver and have the surgery :thumbup:

There is just too much disparity in the diets...........I know some who dont do any. I think as long as you are smart it will be fine. I find it hard to believe that 2 pieces of toast in 7 days will prevent my surgery.

Some surgeons wont do the surgery unless you lose 10% of your weight...I know a few people on here that decided they were going to diet on thier own to lose the weight they need to have the surgery instead of following what their surgeon said and they woke up from surgery with no band because they didn't shrink thier liver, which is the point of pre op diets...if you don't shrink your liver enough you don't get the band...

I cheated. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks anyway but my liver didn't shrink and I came to in recovery without the band. That is one vile feeling. SO 2 1/2 MORE weeks; I did exactly as I was told the 2nd time, lost 17 MORE pounds, and now have the band.

Horrible warning! and moral...do what YOUR doc tells you.

My doctor told me to be on a 30 carb or less a day diet for 4 weeks and I have to lose 5% of my weight. I had only lost 5 of 12 pounds at my preop and I was put on an all liquid diet. I lost the 7 pounds needed in 4 days and was able to go back to eating the low carb diet. I did great from the beginning then this week I fell off the wagon at a birthday party, had 2 pieces of pizza as well as cake and ice cream. My surgery is Wed the 12th and I am freaking out that I just screwed myself. I think I will do liquid for the next 4 days and hope for the best. I did read in a few places and my nutritionist told me it only takes 3-4 days to shrink your liver. i am not sure I believe this but i a praying its true!

I did read in a few places and my nutritionist told me it only takes 3-4 days to shrink your liver. i am not sure I believe this but i a praying its true!

I think how long it takes to shrink your liver depends on how BIG your liver is to begin with...I was VERY VERY heavy to start (way more than many bandsters) so apparently it took a while for me. There are also blood work values etc that can indicate a fatty liver. So again...the best safest thing is to do exactly what your doctor says! I will cross my fingers for you, EXCITED! Just follow the plan from now on. It really is horrid to wake up and not have the band because you didn't follow the preop diet. I hope none of you ever know just how horrid. :eek:

There is just too much disparity in the diets...........I know some who dont do any. I think as long as you are smart it will be fine. I find it hard to believe that 2 pieces of toast in 7 days will prevent my surgery.

MJALWAYS that kind of thinking is what lead me to think I'd be ok to cheat a little on MY preop diet and for me it was disastrous. If you don't trust your surgeon to guide you, find a different surgeon (I learned this the hard way!) If you DO trust him/her, do what you're told to as best you can. I DID eat more than 2 pieces of toast but that would've really messed me up because of the carbs... I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks and was ecstatic with that! But it wasn't the right 15 pounds, apparently. :eek:

I'm sure you all will be ok, but don't think just because someone else didn't have a diet or ate like a wee piggy or whatever and got away with it that you can, too.

Edited by RestlessMonkey