Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am writing to you from the beautiful state of Alabama. I am excited, nervous, and a jumble of emotions as I prepare to be banded on 11-12-08. I chose to join this forum for support, to give and receive and for accountability. As life gives me this 2nd chance, I hope to make the most of it and be successful. Life also gave me a 2nd chance at love. I just celebrated my first anniversary with my husband. We were high school sweethearts who were reunited at our 20th class reunion. I chose to have this surgery to become healthy, not just thin. I will consider the weight loss a "perk". Be there for me and I will return the favor and be your support also. Lets cheer each other on to victory!:thumbup:

Good morning, also from Alabama (Gadsden). I was banded last month, Oct. 7th and have done great. As of this morning I have lost 31 lbs, counting 13 pre-op. I won't tell you its been easy every day, hunger still rears its head sometimes, but I look at my band as an assisting tool so my mind will stay on course. Congrats on your band date. Its great to watch the scales go down.

Way to go! I too am from Alabama (Tuscaloosa County) and just got my insurance approval today for surgery 11/11! I know what you mean about the mix of emotions; I feel the same way, but in my heart I know this is the right thing to do. Good luck and hang in there... we'll be so much better next year in both the way we look and the way we feel!

Hey Alabama folks! I'm from Tuscaloosa and was banded on 9/24/08 - and can honestly say it is the best thing I have done for me in my life time! Cam if you are using Dr. Bilton - he is just great - no problems at all.

The key to it is remember this is a "tool" you still have to do your part as with anything worth having. Remember that this process with the band is a slow weight loss process not fast like the gastric.

Congrats on your date! It was like Christmas for me when I was banded!

Good luck!

I am actually using Dr. John Issis in Bessemer. He is an excellent surgeon (I work with him every day) and I am SOOOO excited! This is my birthday present to myself (Birthday 11/18), so just getting it a bit early! teehee I am on week two of my full liquid diet and have already lost 9 lbs.... lovin the weight loss but can do without the liquids!

Wow!! Just reading all the posts is an encouragement by itself. Too share the excitement of knowing your life is about to change and to actually read about the weight loss already occurring. Way to go 31lbs and counting, Bama2--Way to go. This is very uplifting for me!

I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. John Issis at Medical West Hospital in Bessemer. He is an excellent surgeon, has a great personality and makes each of his patients feel quite special. (I get his patients ready for surgery daily, so I see both sides of him). Considering that we are having surgery a day apart, we will be able to help each other with questions, problems, etc. Let's try to stay in touch! Good luck with your surgery also........ are you having to do this liquid diet also?

Hi All,

I am feeling the same mixed emotions. I am so excited about my lap band surgery day (12-12-08) and very scared! I have always hidden behind my weight and used it as a crutch. It is scary to think I will not have that anymore.

I know that I am doing this for the right reasons and that I will be able to live my life to the fullest, but it is still scary.

Hi Reshma,

Well I can understand what you are talking about, I was initally mad that my insurance made me do the 7 month wait, but now I am glad I did have to wait. It has gave me time to come to some stark truths about myself, some good some not so good and then I came to the point like you did about ready for a change. I am sooo ready for a change and I know that I in order for the changes in my life to occur as I want them too that I can not hide behind food any longer. During this long wait, I have learned how to face issues and for me personally the ability to say NO now is a blessed word.