Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is 3 weeks away - I received the surgical instructions in the mail today and began to cry because the thought of having surgery scares me. I have been waiting since January 2008 for this - I'm afraid that on the day of surgery, I'm going to start bawling my eyes out just from fear and I'll be so embarrassed! For those of you that have been succesfully banded, please share your stories with me.

I do understand being terrified of surgery, but by the time it comes you will be so prepared. I had my band on Monday 10/27. I was totally awake when they wheeled me into the or and joking asked if it was too late to change my mind and everyone went into a panic and said I could change my mind at any time. I tried to tell them I was just kidding but they didn't get the joke. It will be over before you know it. Hang in there

I was scared of surgery too, before I had my gallbladder removed in 2003. Until then, everyone I knew who had been in a hospital DIED. No kidding (I never had any kids) That changed my life; in order to cope with my fear, I occupied myself with what was being done, and why, and how. Even in the OR I asked for them to wait a little before putting me under so I could look around because it looked nothing like I had expected it would. I ended up going back to school and will graduate as an RN with my BSN next May!

So I understand your fear. I don't guess everyone will go through surgrery and decide to become involved in the medical field! however if there's anything I can answer to help you calm down a little, I will. Your doc's office should answer any questions, too.

Laparoscopic surgery is pretty quick and easy. Although they do "knock you out", I've truthfully had dental procedures that hurt more and hurt longer.

Hang in there, you are going to do great!

I never had much fear and that's probably due to the fact that my dad is an anesthesiologist. I did NOT like surgery, and I woke up hours after in slight pain, but mostly very nauseous.

If I ever had to do it again, and knowing what I know now, I probably would ask the doctor's to put like 4 anti-nauseau Patches on me hoping that would do the trick, lol.

You might also want to stay away from reading most if not all of the complications threads on the forums....I found that looking at them before I made my surgery decision was helpful, but not a good idea once I made my mind up.

Let me know if you ever want to chat about your fears.

Surgery is a scary thing for anyone. I have had a few myself and everything will be ok. Just remember the outcome from it and try to focus on that. I have not been banded yet but have my consultation next tuesday. But I have been watching some videos on You Tube showing others going thru it which seems to help me. Maybe you can check that out. Here is one that is pretty funny. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJO48j9-_8&feature=related]YouTube - Surgery Day! - Video Blog #12[/ame]

I was terrified and convinced I would die from the anesthesia. Since I'm posting this now, obviously I didn't perish. In all seriousness, it was over with before i realized it. You will be fine.

I just got my band on Monday (10/27/08) and I was suprised - I feel great! Surgery was fine, I have no pain, I am a little sore and I can feel the incisions - kind of pinchy when I bend or go to get out of bed. I am 52 and I thought surgery would be worse for someone older, but it wasn't for me. Try to read more of the positive experiences and go in with positive thoughts.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I think I will still cry while I'm there but oh well -

I booked my surgery and 2 weeks to the day I was banded. I tried not to worry about anything and I read everything I could about the surgery. I even found on this site the taped surgery.. cool

I Flew to Toronto 6 am on the day of my surgery had the surgert at 11 so that day I really had no time to worry. The worst for me was the shoulder pain from the gas. I looked on this site for things that I should bring and that really helped me out. I was all ready and before you know it, it was over. My surgery was Friday and I went back to work on Monday ( office work )

I was in a hotel so I brought a small pillow for the plane ride back

propell- I had a few bottles

liquid pain meds - perscription from my Dr in my home town

easy to wear clothes/ shoes

I got the med from the Clinic I was banded in filled brfore the surgery

GasX chewable pills and strips... I really needed this !

these things really helped me out. I also traveled with a friend.

I am soooo happy I did this, You will be too. Try not to worry too much you will do fine

Take care :smile2:

My band is scheduled for Nov 12 and I start a new job Nov 17 - I just hope I will feel better by then. Did anyone have much pain or problems sleeping afterwards?

So - if you were able to take the plane ride home and go back to work after a few days - then I guess I can keep my nail appointment which is 2 days after surgery. My manicurist doesn't think I can make it but I think I can.

I haven't had surgery ever before getting my band and I went to mexico to have the surgery, peice of cake. and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. surgery date was july 8,08 and I have lost 38 lbs already. I'm happy

Oh, honey. It's going to be just fine. Take it from me (I've had 11 surgeries, not counting the lapband that I hope to get soon), you will go in, they will put you to sleep, and you'll wake up with a whole new lease on life. You'll be a little sore, but that will pass. Good luck. :thumbup:If you need to talk you can PM me. I was scared the first few, also, but the nurses were great and very helpful and sympathetic. I hope you have a good experience (all in all) and like I said if you need to talk I am here.