Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really worth it?? Please helpp

My op was 2 days ago, so I'm still in the recovery from op stage. Going into the op I had no concerns, no worries at all. My only concern was being on the 3rd floor because I have a fear of heights, but I had no doubts about the op itself.

What I wasn't prepared for was not being able to get decent sleep. the drip machine kept beeping all night, just when I'd get into a good sleep and wake me up. Then there were the checks from nurses every hour. The cuts themselves caused no pain, just soreness, but the pain from gas was worse for me than most people describe. I had it in both shoulder blades, my spine and the right shoulder up to the back of my head. On top of that I was hungry and still am. I've just been given the go ahead to start other liquids besides clear, so I feel better.

When I finally got home from hospital I felt like crying. I wondered what I had done to myself because of the discomfort, but that mood only lasted 10 minutes. At the end of the day, its only temporary and it will improve. It has already. The pain has almost all gone and I even did house work today.

Only you can decide if the time to recover from the operation is really worth it. But you are basically giving up a week or so to discomfort for a life time of health and fitness. For me, that is worth it.

Much of the recovery is mind over matter. If you listen to all the negative stories out there then you are going to go into this with a negative head space and make the recovery that much harder for yourself. I wasn't expecting to feel mourning (which is what I think it was) for what I had done, but I do fully believe that all that emotional and psychological work before hand helped me to move through that to where I am feeling really positive right now.

Josh, Is that 96 pounds loss all after your surgery or was some of it pre-op?

That is 96.5 pounds are my overall weight loss since January of this year. Since surgery I have lost 70 pounds.

YES it is worth it. I have to say my surgery was not bad at all. I had very little pain, in fact I have had more from this tooth that was worked on last week. The darn thing still hurts! Everyone is different but I am sure I would feel this way even if I had not had it so easy. I have lost 43 lbs and feel great. I have had only one fill and I think the doctor got it right on the first try! I just canceled my appointment for my second which was scheduled for 11/5. I no longer spend my day thinking about food. I love my band. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Hi All, I am going in for my first visit next week. I have been overweight since i was one it seems. If a person needs to lose 70 lbs would you recommed banding?

I think it's different for everyone although I would say that white meat chicken, bread and shrimp are probably universal. I do have certain foods that I avoid now -- like anything with a skin (some fruit, for example) but I have a bigger issue with swallowing anything until dinner time. It's all tough for me and so I drink protien drinks and have Soup. It's really a learn as you go process.

Do you feel 70lbs is worth losing? If you don't feel the urgency then don't do it. If you feel you reserve way too much mental anguish over your weight and would like it gone -- then get a band. I looked at banding as a magic bullet -- and there is no such thing. Even though I consider it easy -- it's not a cake walk in terms of daily life. My BMI was technically too low to get banded but I started having co-morbidities that I didn't want to take over my life. I had 80lbs. to lose -- and yes, I totally feel that it's been worth it. I'm 30lbs down. I had surgery on 4/28/08.

Hi!! This is my first post and I hope I am doing it right. I had surgey September 26th. The room before you go ito surgery is stressful because you are so nervous BUT after surgery it isnt that bad. My pain never went above a 4.5. Every day I felt a little better and by 4 days after I was really feeling good. I wont lie....a few days after your brain is kind of like uh oh what did we do BUT take one day at a time and you are going to do great!!! I am a little over a month out and I have lost 22 pounds. I am already feeling different!!! It is easier if you plan your meals day by day and pre-pack meals. I say go for it!!! It is going to be great!! Good Luck!!

Hello All i was banded Oct.24th and i first would like to say that Jack said it best :cursing:. for me them trying to place an IV was more painful :):ohmy:than the soreness i feel now. i was so ready to be on the other side of pre-op until i wasn't nervous like i thought i would be. i had love ones there with me the entire time, i brought my MP3 player and listened to music and remained calm the entire time. everyone is different but for me it's worth it and very necessary being a type 2 diabetic who can't take pills or lose the weight and keep it off. knowing i have the tool to get the weight off and keep it off and don't have to worry about going up and down is worth it to me! yes i was in pain after surgery and yes it was an experience being that i had never had surgery before. but i'd rather go through that than dialysis from being a diabetic, it doesn't get better with that ! i've lost a total of 22lbs in 3 weeks from the pre-op and post-op liquid diet, i'm still sore but everyday it gets better. i'm not sure i would be able to say that if i had not done this !

P.s I Requested The DVD from my actual surgery and it's Priceless !:wink:

Dr.Ernest C. Rehnke

Palms Of Pasadena

St.Petersburg, Fl.

279/ 268/257