Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting scared

My surgery is scheduled for the11th and I am starting to get scared. I have been reading all of the posts, I am truely hoping to back at work by the 18th, I need to wear a belt with my uniform is this goign to be a major problem? I am also starting to worry about getting enough protien in, is it as hard as it sounds? I guess that it is normal to develop some anxiety before the operation but I didn't think I would be so worried.

I was scared too. Almost backed out three times before getting to the surgery center and once while I was on the gurney getting wheeled into surgery. Fortunately, the anesthesia kicked in and its been one week today. The fear and anxiety were worse than the actual procedure trust me. I felt better afterwards than some times when I've been to the oral surgeon for a tooth extraction. The team of people that will be there for you pre and post op will put you at ease as well.

Scarier for me now would be if I hadn't gone through with it and being faced with dealing with the anguish of the weight problem and no incentive to try to defeat it on my own again....and fail.....again.

This tool called the Lap-Band kicks ass! It will help you fight off the fat and start living the life you must have wanted or you wouldn't have registered for the procedure. Imagine being full....I mean really really full after a few glugs of Soup and pushing the rest of it away.

And when you finally weigh in after a week and see that you've knocked off 10 pounds or more, come back to this message board and tell me if I wasn't right.

Be more afraid NOT to do it!

I can't think of a single person here that wasn't scared before their surgery. I think it is completely normal, or at lease, completely usual.

my only regret is that I didn't get banded when my DH got his band.

Man oh man I was scared SO much in the days right before my surgery. In fact, I'd be worried if you WEREN'T scared! I kept telling myself right up until they made me walk into the operating room "you can back out at any time, you can back out at anytime, no one is saying you have to do this". Like Bobalooey said, then the anesthesia takes over and you are fine.

I am glad to hear you are taking a week off from work. I know a lot of people here were back in like three days. No way could I have done that. I took a full week. Bear in mind I'm a HUGE weenie about any medical stuff and I came back to work fine in a week. You'll be a bit tired at work but it will be fine.

The first few days post-op you'll think you'll never be able to make it back to work but each day you get better and better and better.

Has your Dr said where your port will be placed? Mine is about three inches above my navel and it's fine with the waist band of pants.

As for the Protein....it isn't a problem at all. Protein shakes! You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get in all the protein you need!

I'm so excited for you!!!

YES - we were all scared - about a week before I was freaking out. Now I am a week post-op and I just got back from a business trip......Granted, flying and hauling my bag around wan't fun - I flagged down that little handicap train, but my bag didn't wiegh less than 20 punds either -

I already love the thought that this band is going to be with me forever - I am down about 9 pounds that I will never see again!!!!

The most frustrating thing was the liquids the last few days before you can have Soup, but that too will pass.

Today I am stuffed after 1/2 cup of watered down instant mashed potatos!!!!

YES!!!!

It is totally ok to be scared - you might be surprised that the day of it may have passed!!!!! mine did.

Please let us know how everything goes - you'll do great!!

My doctor's office ask me on my last pre-op visit if I was nervous. I said yes, but excited too. He told me if I said I wasn't nervous, he would think something was wrong with me! You are only feeling the same emotions that everyone feels.

Count me in those numbers, I was scared to. Not of the surgury or the pain (although I found out I am a big wimp and wasn't too happy about hurting afterwards, LOL)...

I was afraid of failure or maybe of success. I tend to be self-sabatoging. When I start really doing well, I feel like I am going to fall short of my goal anyway so I just blow the diet and regain the weight. This isn't something I think out before hand, it has just been that way with me. Anyway, before my surgury I thought what if I spend all this money, go through all of this and then don't lose enough for anyone to even notice much less hit my goal or what if I work really hard at sticking to the rules for some unkown reason I don't lose and my band doesn't work, then what do I do?, maybe I should just not do it rather than try and fail.....those sort of self-defeating thoughts. But I did the whole Dr. Phil thing....ask yourself is that really a valid fear and is that really a true statement and if not correct the thought. And I rationally know that if I follow the rules I will lose. I am not so special that I am the only exception to the band working the way it is designed to therefor I will lose weight.

But, all of that, LOL, was meant to say we all have fears, but if you have done your research, understand what you are doing, checked out your doctor and are certain you picked the right one for you and feel that this surgury is right for you, don't back unless you can examine that fear and you are certain it is a valid reason to cancel.

Guest bp31413

Wow, already I am feeling the support. My surgery is coming up this Wednesday, and i am sooo nervousss. Today, going on this site made it real for me. Tomorrow I am going out to get a Magic Bullet, Protein shakes, and lots and lots of clear fluids. I know I can do this, and will be successful..

How do I get the wonderful tickerfactory measure to be on my signature screen too?

Thanks in advance for all the support!

Guest snobuni

I know how you feel, mine is in a week (10 days), I am scared as well. I've never had any kind of operation, nor been put under for anything but an EGD, that was only for 20 min..lol.

Thank you all, I guess it is normal to be scared. I ma so ready for this surgery! I had a call from the hjospital today, I am scheduled for 700, I ahve to be there 2 hours early. I hope it goes fast once I get there. I am really excited to start a new way of eating and living healthy. I had my last cigarette yeaterday and I swear that might be harder than all of the other stuff.

Please let us know how your surgery goes! You will be fine!

I was a nervous wreck...plus I went to Mexico which may have added to my fear just a little...ok a lot. They will generally give you something for anxiety when you get to the hospital or some even give you some to take home. I was ready to slam that as soon as they gave it to me. Once I took it I was like take me away.

Please feel free to pm me if you need more advice/comfort/etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Lindsay