Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saying goodbye to my clothes....

Im really struggling with getting rid of my clothes, and no one understands. I realize its important to get rid of them so you dont have them in the back of your mind, and get to that size again...i get that.

ive always been a very fashion cautious person, no matter my size..i have/had a huge wardrobe, and always enjoyed geting dressed, doing my hair/make up, and accessorizing. I feel like im giving away a piece of myself. ive successfully shrunk a few things in washer/dryer, so that helped me to hold on to a few items. but everyone says how happy i should be cause i get to buy new clothes, but im not going to for awhile because my size changes too quickly right now.dont get me wrong, im thrilled im losing!!!!! this is just a tough thing for me, and i feel like no one understands me.:):thumbup:

i feel u... it hurts... and for me they're a security blanket... I like to have them because I know I looked nice in that size in them... but this is what my husband helped me to do (and he really didn't get, but tried) and it actually worked... save 3 items that u LOVED from every size and hold onto them for the "before" clothes....the rest I brought into a local thrift store that actually pays u based on the condition of the clothes... I only made $30 bucks but it was a new pair of jeans in my new size... My plan now after being banded is to take those 3 pieces from everysize and have them made into a quilt...this way I don't forget ever the work to get to every size and can still Celebrate the clothes I wear....yeah, I'll admit it... I really love some of my clothes LOL! Its hard...hang in there...

~Megs

I'm right there with you. It makes me sick that I have so many beautiful clothes that I cant wear anymore. I have many suits, blazers and slacks that have hardly ever been worn as I changed to a job that requires scrubs. I've had some luck selling items on E-bay in the past. If you have high quality or name brand plus-sized clothing you can get decent prices for them. I sold a pair of jeans for $20 and a used denim jacket for $32! I actually paid less for these items than I sold them for due to sales and coupons.

The sentimental value is what really sucks. Wanting to keep something because it's beautiful or you got a great deal on it is all too real.

i understand i have 2 buckets of clothes that are too big i went from 24/26 to 18/20 when i started i was 270pds in may got the band in june 30th im now 227 pds i have one pair of pants that fit me

Maybe you can give them to a theatre so they can use them for productions. Or keep the out fits that you love the fabric of and get it made into something else or just get it taken in. You could even start a new hobby, dressmaking.

My husband asks me all the time why I still have my old clothes in the closet. I just haven't made the time to take them to a thrift shop. I'm only attached to a few things. I have a sweater I'm heartbroken I can't wear this fall. And I have a designer cocktail jacket to die for. I'll never wear it again, and I only wore it once. Boo hoo hoo...... But for the most part, I'll be delighted to unload most of them. Just need to make the time. I've gone from a 24 down to a 16. Even my 16s are to big so I should be buying 14s next time I shop. My goal is a 10. We'll see.

I am just the opposite, I want my clothes to go away and my husband says I should keep them, just in case. No just in case, I never want to go back to that size again! I have dropped two sizes and have totally thinned my closet down. I can't wait to shop for more new clothes!

I bet you could find a tailor who could alter some of your favorites for you. I was just the opposite, I didn't like how I looked no matter how dressed up I was so I didn't put much effort into looking nice. I had a few nice things but most of my clothes were all fairly cheap so I had no problem hauling them off to goodwill. I did keep a few things that I really loved though and I'm planning to get them altered.

For my good business suits, I paid the money and had them altered. That way, I could keep them (and I paid alot of money for them and looked good in them), and still get my monies worth. Other clothing though, I couldn't wait to get rid of - I donated to a few charities including a women's shelter.

There was one fancy chic beaded sweater I hated to part with, and waited 7 months to finally say goodbye to it - it broke my heart to part with it, but it could not be remade, and was just taking up room. So, finally it went.

Over the years, I have gotten rid of things that had gotten too big, but kept a few items for the "Just in case". Unfortunately, I would end up wearing them again and again. Then I would save the smaller sized stuff, for the next diet. Well, now going from a 30/32 down to a 22... I am proud to say, I am running out of stored clothes to shrink into!!!!!

Now, I bargain shop for some new clothes. I wear scrubs at work, so there is alot of flexibility in those types of clothes (thank goodness).

This time around, I am saving a few "before" items and donating the rest. I don't want to keep anything for the "just in case" reason ever again!!!!!! Honestly, some of the things I kept, are now so dated and out of style... I wouldn't end up wearing them anyway!! I have invested in some very nice active wear that I go to the gym in, and I wear stuff like that on my days off, so I am ready to go to exercise!!!

Alright girls we all have to admit getting rid of OUR clothes is a very hard thing but look at the things we have accomplished. I have gone from a 24-26 to a 14. I have sold most of my clothes on ebay. They are in my shopping spree goal money. I am taking a trip when i get to goal to do nothing but shop. (I have three small children which make it hard to shop) But I truely love clothes. I have found a local consignment store that i have been buying and trading with. I will buy then take back in later to exchange. Remember don't spend alot on clothes now for they will not last long. I have found many cute things at the consignment store so the money i have sold my clothes for will be to dress for success at goal.

good luck

I saved one pair of size 34 pants. They were the pants i wore to my lap band seminar. I still pull them out every so often, the last time i pulled them out my teenage daughter and i stood side by side inside the pants! Twice a year Summer season and Winter season i donate all the to large items to goodwill. Im just having a blast buying new wardrobes.