Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading so many post that show the excitement of getting that dreaded insurance approval. I don't have any insurance yet feel like the debt incurred will be okay because it will change my life forever. I would like to hear from those of you out there who, like me will be shelling out the bucks to make this life change. We are making a financial sacrifice for our family, yet in the long run will be making a positive change which will make us a better person.

The surgey centers here in WA will not accept my insuarance. My surgery was a littl over $16,000. I applied for CareCredit so that I could make payments instead of having to wait until I had saved that much money...I am glad that I got my band and I don't mind the payments :thumbup:

Hey Kristi...

I was self pay but I do have insurance...it just wouldn't cover me. If I lived in Kansas...oddly, it would. I would have had to wait at least another 2 years and get much sicker for insurance to cover me. We made the choice that my health was paramount and you cannot put a price on that. Plus...my medical situation was costing out of pocket $15k per year for the rest of my life.... Why not risk $12k for a surgery that could put my issues in remission????

Well, so far it has. Been put in remission!!! I have been significantly sick the past 8 years and 48 hours after my surgery...I could 'feel' a major improvement.

Every day is like a new day.

And THAT is worth every last penny we are paying. :thumbup:

You are one of the greatest resources to your family and deserve to be healthy and strong.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

* * * We put it on a few ZERO interest credit cards because we're too cheap to pay someone to borrow their money... lol... we will have it paid off within a year.

K

Edited by ladybugchaser

I was self-pay. Paid for my surgery with Mastercard. :thumbup: Best decision I ever made. It is an investment I made in my health. Best return I could've gotten. :)

I paid out of pocket and couldn't believe how much the hospital fees were! They totalled $9500 and then my surgeon's fees for 5 years came to $7500.

I decided to pay the surgeon's fees up front, and then finance the hospital part....I got a great APR of 3.99% through capital one. I honestly think of it as a way of investing in my future and my husband was very supportive once my mind was made up.

On another quick note, I had my first post op today and have lost 13 pounds since 10/6/08, and have absolutely zero regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

My insurance didn't cover my surgery either. Luckily we had the cash to pay for the surgery which was 17,500. I can honestly say that I would do it again. One thing that is important is to read, read, read, everything you can about the band before hand. Alot of people seem kind of ignorant (not to be rude) about the of the band. The more you know, the better you will do, and not be disappointed. Good Luck and I hope everything goes well for you.

I am paying cash. My insurance does not cover WLS.

I have no regrets. I am fortunate, though, not to be in a position of needing to get a loan or use a credit card to pay. Its just coming out of my savings.

My insurance plan has WLS excluded. So I too have had to go to self pay and in a very generous move my family has come forward and together are pooling the money needed for my surgery. I am going to Mexico to get my surgery done mainly because it is much more affordable there. The local surgeon here would run me roughly $18,000 to have it done here. I will be going to Tijuana, Mexico. That added with the cost of my flight will be just under $8,000 total. I am very confident with the hospital and the surgeon that I will be using especially since my closest aunt to me has used the same surgeon and hospital for her lapband surgery in 2005.

Just wanted to update and let everyone know that I am going ahead with the surgery! I had the consult 11/1/08 and am scheduled for surgery 11/14/08!! The pre-op diet is in full force, growling tummy and all! I look forward to continued support from the board as I watch the numbers fall on the scale.< /p>

Congrats on your decision Kristi! It's a big step as we all know! Remember that the hunger will go away and you will be doing much better in a short amount of time. Keep in touch with us on your progress! Oh and don't forget to get some before and after pictures!

I am self pay too. I am getting the money from 401K. I think it will be the best investment I have made this year. I have a lower BMI, so even if my insurance did pay for WLS, they would not for me.

I was self-pay too, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. My doctor said his self-pay patients are his most motivated. We have one year of free fills and then they're $200/fill. He gives aggressive fills, and I can tell that with my second fill, I'm going to have good restriction for at least awhile. I also know that once I reach my goal weight, I'll have my band as tool to help me maintain my weight loss.

Well I have the surgeon's okay, lab orders in hand and now the phone patient rep. keeps calling me. I don't know if it's helpful or just annoying. :thumbup: I have so many things to get done before next Friday!!

I paid 16k for mine. No regrets

I would do it again at twice that price

Congratulations, you have made an excellent decision!