Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping to get banded soon.

Hi everyone..I have been going through and learning lots of info on here and finally decided to create an account on here so I can chat with people. The only thing thats holding me back right now from the surgery is the money. Here in Ontario is costs $18,000 so I'm selling my precious brand new snowmachine to get this done. It will be worth it. My whole life I have been overweight and yo-yo'd always. Just last year I had a motorcycle accident and now my knee is all buggered up and exercise is limited and I feel this my only hope to get the one thing I've always dreamed for.

Anyways I cant wait to get to know many of you and learn as much as I can before I get this done.

Debbie

Welcome to the forum Debbie!

I'm just outside San Francisco and the cost is very similiar (17k) and I also paid out of pocket. I was banded on the 13th and had about 1 week of total restlessness just after the operation. I was gassy and uncomfortable and was tired, but had a hard time sleeping for more then a few hours at a time.

Then the most amazing thing happened.....one week after the surgery, the pain and uncomfortable feeling subsided and now there are times I even forget I have had the procedure done!

I think that it's great that you are here already and getting familiar with the different support services :wink_smile:. Let me know if you ever want to chat.

And I'm happy to report that, for the first time in years, I weigh under 200. The scale said 199.8 but still, I'm excited.

Thanks Cat...

I have reached a pint in my life where I just have lost hope. I have no will power to do anymore diet fads. I need this I think because I just cant walk away which is what I typically do. I am now at a weight I have never been before and I find I'm getting to be a hermit..I hate going outside.I dont want people to see me. Is this band a lot of daily work or is it easy to live with? I just got an exciting call from the toronto Lap band center that becasue of the economy they are dropping the price by $2000.00. Congrats Cat on getting below 200!!

Hi Jorja,

I totally understand what you mean about being a hermit after gaining weight:sad:

I feel almost completely recovered from surgery and have my first post-op sugery appointment on Monday morning. Personally, I am finding the band really easy to live with so far (I'm sure that can all change with fills), and I'm doing well with the limited diet.

For me, a few sugar free necessities have made a huge difference:

(sugar free) frozen popsicle

skinny cow frozen fudge pops

individual yogurts and Jello

instant grits / instant polenta

chrystal light green tea and raspberry Water mixes

I've had a few meals out, and everything has gone really well :thumbup:

Thats great that everything is going so well! PLEASE keep me updated as you go along. How long was your cleansing before you had your surgery?

YAY! Just managed today to get the money to do this..so now I'm waiting for the Toronto Lapband clinic to call with the details.!! SO excited and scared. I hope there is no regrets!

Congrats again Jorja, you are on your way!!

I was (ahem) supposed to do a 2 week pre-op liquid diet, but could only handle one week of the constant Protein shakes. I guess I did alright because I lost 5 pounds and my doctor said my liver was great looking and not-fatty (yay for a non fatty liver)!

So far I've lost a total of 14 pounds (includes that 5 pounds), and I've only been banded since the 13th of October!:biggrin:

Make sure to ask your doctor about actagall (to prevent gallstones) if you still have your gallbladder. Something like 30% of bandsters develop gallstones from the rapid weight loss, but you can decrease that likelihood to under 3% with the 2x day medication.

I will definatly look into actagall!! I'm going to see about anti-naseau patch as well, just in case I get that nasty flu bug this season. Congrats on your weight loss thats amazing!! I just did my blood work and EKG yesterday so I'm on my way...not looking forward to this liquid diet. So I thinkI'm overindulging now before the start of this diet lol

Hi...I am being banded on Nov 14th in Michigan. I live in Iowa and the cost here is 17k....in MI it is 10k....and since I am paying out of pocket I am going to MI. I am very excited...except for this Protein diet...I'm starting it today. I am hoping to have my diabetes reversed with this surgery and obviously to loose weight. I am like you...I do not like to go anywhere since I gained so much weight. I hate looking in my closet for something that will fit today. I have 4 different sizes of clothes to choose from...I want that to stop!!!

wow we are going to be one day apart! I'm getting nervous because i still havent got my pre-op diet sent to me yet and I have 8 more days to go.

I'm so done with the fat clothes...I'm having a "burn fatty pants party" I think!! haha. I dont have many outfits to wear anymore that are actually comfortable.

I priced out Lapband in Traverse City MI and it was 18K plus they had meeting after meeting and they were really choosy on who gets to get it done.