Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you train for a triathlon?

So I've always wanted to do something like that. I do hate to run, but I love to bike and swim so I could put up with the running to get the other two.

But I have no idea where to begin. Right now I walk around my neighborhood a couple of days a week and bike in the gym 2x a week (30 minutes each, around 5.5 miles, average heart rate 120-ish). I don't swim much at all. There's a pool in our community but they turn off the heat in Oct. and it's tiny and weirdly shaped so it's not good for lap swimming. No pool at the gym (it's the free gym at work).

I do other, non-related, exercise as well.

I did find this site: BeginnerTriathlete.com - Triathlon Training for Beginners but I don't know how good it is. Is there something like Couch to 5k for the triathlon?

Is there something like Couch to 5k for the triathlon?

if you find it - post it.

i'm training now for a tri Jan 3rd, though on a break from running & bike till my broken varicose vein is healed, another 5 days.

running is the hardest for me, because i do not love it. dh and i have mountain bikes that we plan to start trekking on the wkend (plus i ride regularly on the bike at the gym), have a pool and keep it heated this time a yr around 80....but running is not my strong suit. aside from weight training, and plugging along w/cardio - not sure how else to train & would be interested in any link posted on the subject.

Well I joined that site. I'll let you know what they say.

I really don't like running either. That's why I don't think I could manage a marathon. But I would put up with the running if there were biking and swimming involved. :sad_smile:

Okay, I found some more info.

A typical training plan has you do 2 of the 3 sports each day on a rotating basic. Some have you doing an hour in the morning and an hour in the PM during the week and then 2-3 hours one day on the weekend. Honestly, I can't see myself doing that. That's a lot of time.

I also found an article that says anyone who is fit can do a Sprint Triathlon. These are .5 miles of swim, 13k of bike and 3.1k of running. There is one in my area in May that does the biking as Mountain Biking. I lurve mountain biking so I am going to train for that one.

I will start out pretty slow though. Right now, I'm worried about strength training because of my incisions. I'm thinking I'll add running to my routine next and also work on finding a place with a pool. Then in Jan, I'll start training in earnest.

Good Luck

That sounds awesome. I assume you are referring to a mini tri or a Try a tri ? Where the running is much shorter than the 26 miles of a marathon.

THere is a try a tri in my area in the summer. I know I can do the biking and the running, but the swimming is going to my problem, I am not at all confident as a swimmer, and the fact that the swim is in open Water not a pool, really freaks me out.

They have an option to do it as a relay - I dont want to wimp out, but if I could find someone to do the swimming portion, I would be so in to the try a tri .

Hehee, too bad we didnt live closer, you could swim, I could run, and we could both bike.

I am training for a 30k race (18 miles) that takes place in March, so I know I will be able to ace the running by any summer event.

As a team, we could kick some ass !

Okay, I found some more info.

A typical training plan has you do 2 of the 3 sports each day on a rotating basic. Some have you doing an hour in the morning and an hour in the PM during the week and then 2-3 hours one day on the weekend. Honestly, I can't see myself doing that. That's a lot of time.

I also found an article that says anyone who is fit can do a Sprint Triathlon. These are .5 miles of swim, 13k of bike and 3.1k of running. There is one in my area in May that does the biking as Mountain Biking. I lurve mountain biking so I am going to train for that one.

I will start out pretty slow though. Right now, I'm worried about strength training because of my incisions. I'm thinking I'll add running to my routine next and also work on finding a place with a pool. Then in Jan, I'll start training in earnest.

that's a lot of training, i'm not good at evening workouts. if it doesn't happen first thing, i'm not likely doing it.

i typically do the bike & running on the same day (most times), on cardio only days & really don't practice much of the swimming as i'm always in our pool and lapping it. i never counted it much as exercise - but that's just foolish because it is.

the tri i'm doing jan 3rd is just that .5m swim/12k bike/3.1k running (swimming is indoors:wink:). like you i love mountain biking, DH and I were so fit before we married, and we were out doing trails several days a wk - both of us are anxious to get back to it.

i think may is a great time frame to shoot for, while you still heal - definitely attainable.

michee - i admire anyone that wants to run 18miles. wish i had that drive for running - i just don't:frown:

I found another site that says for Sprint, you don't need to do that much. That anyone who is reasonably fit can do one. Also, there is a gym in my area that has triathlon training and a pool!!

Hi

To answer your question how do you train- just get out there and do it! I think doing something everyday is the most helpful. As you get closer to the race do two of the sports a day. I found going from bike to run (brick training) the most challenging. My legs were like rubber.

My first Triathlon experience(2005) was as part of a relay team. I did the open Water swim. Relays are a great place to start. I use the site BeginnerTriathlete.com - Triathlon Training for Beginners. There are training plans there and I loved the training log. A good read is 'Slow Fat Triathlete' by Jayne Williams.

Good luck.

I was supposed to go to a gym today to check it out. They have a pool and a triathlon training class but family stuff got in the way. Tomorrow is Mini-Mac's birthday party and that's going to seriously interfere too.

I was supposed to go to a gym today to check it out. They have a pool and a triathlon training class but family stuff got in the way. Tomorrow is Mini-Mac's birthday party and that's going to seriously interfere too.

OK so did you get to check it out yet?

Nope! I got sucked up in getting ready for Mini-Mac's birthday party. I'm hoping to get up early one of these days and swing by on the way to work. Otherwise, I have to wait until next weekend.