Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tri Care/ Champus military insurance (Spouse)

Tri care pays for Lap-Band. I recently had surgery. the initial cost out of pocket was 700.00 It took 3 days to get appoval with tricare standard tricare prime takes a little longer.

Go to Military.com for more info on what they will pay for my initial visit was 8/25/08 and I was approved 9/1 and had my surgery on 9/28/08 good luck. I am a military spouse. My daugher is also using our insurance and will have the surgery 7/11/09.:tongue2:

thats awsome congrats on that i am too going through tricare i have a appointment with my doc. so he can summit ed the paperwork hope i get approval..

You had to pay out of pocket?? I have Tri Care Prime but didn't relaize I would have to pay anything out of pocket for this surgery.

I too am going through Tricare(Triwest for what region im in) and I had my first appointment on September 17th. My Doctor told me, since I am so healthy that all I need to do now is have a Psych Eval done.(Per request of Tricare) They told me it would be about a week and they could send off a referral for my psych eval, but it has now been over a month and still havent heard anything. Its getting quite frustrating, cuz im ready to get the show on the road!!

I was also told that I do have to pay $400 out of my pocket for the assistant that will be helping with the surgery cuz tricare does not cover assistants, but Im completely ok with that. I would rather pay $400 for an assistant than thousands for the entire surgery! :tongue2:

I wish you all the best of luck with your journeys!!!

I also have Tricare Prime. I had my required psych eval and my surgical consult today. The only costs that I am going to be out are: $75 for the dietician appt on wednesday and then $12 office visits after the surgery. You might want to look into the $700 that they are making you pay. Good Luck!

OK, I've had everything done: ALL pre op testing, just got my date for surgery which is 11/25. I made my dietary appt today & I called to make sure if I had to pay any fees, she said no, it's all included in the surgery which Tri Care Prime pays for. I haven't had to put out not even 1 cent for any thing. Just an FYI, I don't know if it varies by what state you live in or what. But, I wish everyone luck.

God Bless.

OK, I've had everything done: ALL pre op testing, just got my date for surgery which is 11/25. I made my dietary appt today & I called to make sure if I had to pay any fees, she said no, it's all included in the surgery which Tri Care Prime pays for. I haven't had to put out not even 1 cent for any thing. Just an FYI, I don't know if it varies by what state you live in or what. But, I wish everyone luck.

God Bless.

Yes, it all depends on what state you live in. My Doc told me also that people on inusrance in Arizona are required to stay overnight in the hospital. He said he would let us go home that same day but he cant cuz he has to follow insurance guidelines. :tongue2:

Do you know if they charge Tricare patients for fill appt's? I just received a bill (my surgery was 8/27/08) for a fill appt in December and its totally $863.

The Tricare office won't get back to me on this issue...any suggestions?

Do you pay for fill appt's?

I have a question! With Tri Care do you have to more than 100 lbs over weight before they will consider you for the surgery? I have Tri Care Prime and I am going to call my doctor on Monday to make the appointment. I want this surgery and reading this about Tri Care makes me feel better about going to my doctor and requesting a referrel. Any help is appreciated! Thank you! Kathy

I have a question! With Tri Care do you have to more than 100 lbs over weight before they will consider you for the surgery? I have Tri Care Prime and I am going to call my doctor on Monday to make the appointment. I want this surgery and reading this about Tri Care makes me feel better about going to my doctor and requesting a referrel. Any help is appreciated! Thank you! Kathy

Kathy, I just got approved the first time around with a BMI of 32.. 5'11 and 246. I do have back problems, but that is it. Hope that helps, i would just go thorough all the needed apts and have it submitted. you just never know! My dr. said tricare was the easiest to get approved with!

:thumbdown: