Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Pennsylvanian Presurgical

Hi all---I have two more appointments in first week of November and I think that I have met all of my presurgical requirements for insurance. Do you think I could get a surgery date during my appointment with the bariatric doc? I am a little nervous in the "not knowing stage" and wondering how long it took to actually get an appointment......I am in my fifth month of dietary waiting period---that is with documentation--I am planning my surgery at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh......anyone else????? also....how do i get one of those weight loss progression things to show my weight loss? I started at 42 bmi, currently at 40---presurgery

Hi Shassy - I am from the Pittsburgh area, too. But I had my banding done at Excela Westmoreland Hospital on 9/22. We probably have similar insurance. You probably won't get a surgery date until you've met with the surgeon and then it's sent to insurance for approval. They won't schedule you without insurance approval. But they told me approval is usually within 48 hours. I have no idea how to do the weight loss ticker thing. I am not computer savvy. But I'm sure someone will tell you how. Good luck.

Cleo's mom - who was your surgeon? I have looked into getting this done at Magee and I was visiting my PCP today and saw the bariatric clinic at Excela. I was weighed and measured too so I know my BMI is now 37.5 - I did think I was taller so I thought I may have issues. I am a little worried about approaching my PCP. Any suggestions?

Shassy- I go to the AGH seminar tomorrow, so I may be using them...Dr. Colella; I assume you have him or the other one there? I'll ask your question tomorrow (if I get a clear answer I'll let you know)...I know it varies a lot here-some say they got a date early and some not until after insurance. It's a slow process and I'm just starting (I could have been several months along if I'd been smarter at the beginning). I'll be watching your progress with AGH. If you're asking for the "ticker" at the bottom of posts, just google "tickerfactory.com" they have a special section for weight loss tickers and it takes you through the process one step at a time. When you're done, just copy and paste your ticker here under "User CP" "Edit your signature" paste it there and it will show up. (My kids would not believe I'M giving technology advice.)

Shira- I've been thinking of you. Did you get a call back from Magee yet? It sounds like you didn't talk to your PCP yet about this when you went? If you've been accepted at Magee that's a good subject to start the conversation with the PCP and then they can't argue it's necessary. If you read my Monday blog from this week "I Peed my Pants" (long story), you'll see I was really worried about my PCP as well and she couldn't have been more supportive...I was surprised!

Hi BG!!!!

I have to go find that post! I am a little nervous but today when I was weighed and measured I was 63" and 208. I didn't realize Excela had a bariatric center although I'd still prefer Magee. Although...Excela offers LIFETIME aftercare. That's a pretty big plus. It also sounds as if you go through their program from day one with the six month pre-surgical. BUT they are not a center of excellence and that right there is the kicker. Anyway, I guess I just worry that my doctor and everyone else will say "Just diet" - what do you say to that? I mean it's well known you HAVE to diet to be banded. It's a strict lifestyle. It doesn't make sense to me to go in and say I can't diet and that's why I want this. I guess I just haven't found the words.

I started my conversation by telling him how bad I was physically feeling with the extra weight and how I knew so many of my issues would go away if I could just lose it. I reminded him how I'm a big yo-yoer and that it's gotten harder to lose as I've gotten older. Then I asked him to tell me what he knew about the Lap (before I'd been to a seminar). He said I wasn't a "metobolic nightmare" but I could look into it and he gave me some names.

I think you've got lots more ammo than I did...you already know your BMI is above the minimum. You know what a comorbidity is and you can probably list all yours or ask him for the testing you need for them. And if Magee thinks your a candidate then that's the blue ribbon. I'd be proactive and tell him your issues and what you've done instead of starting by asking. If you take the lead and remind him of all the diets you've been on and gained it back...how can he then say "just diet"?

Do you have another visit scheduled with your PCP? You don't have to use your PCP for the diet, you can use Magee (I think it costs though, right?). All you need is a letter from the PCP saying it's medically necessary and documenting your comorbidities (at least that's what I need). I've been seeing a nicer (female) Dr. in the practice since I originally brought it up with my original Dr. and she's been great!

Post is under the "Blog" tab.

Shassy, I just realized you've already been to the surgeon by the dates you gave. If you read this let me know how it went.

-BG

LOVED that blog post and then started my own :thumbup: Not as witty nor fraught with disaster but a start :thumbup:

I called Magee this morning and they said we should hear today or tomorrow. I told them my height is NOT 5'4" - it is 5'3" and that makes me 37.5 BMI, not 35.7. In MY mind it made a difference.

The last time I saw my PCP I asked for xenical because alli HAD worked well for me too. Problem was the xenical worked TOO well and the alli would be like 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I am, like you, very tired of the yo yo effect. I just want to get the weight off and then keep it off. I want to be able to RUN without my panniculus (google THAT!) slapping my thighs.

The fact that I even have a panniculus is killing me since I am nowhere near my max weight now and my max weight was only 214. But whatever. It was that KID! :thumbup:

Band Groppie - I am new to this site - and I also went to one of the seminars at AGH in October - Dr. Colella is also my surgeon. I have heard wonderful things about him as someone I know was banded last year and has already lost 115 lbs!! I have a few months to go and am scared, excited and anxious all at once. Good luck to you

I just got home from my AGH seminar (Dr. Uchal) and I'm on cloud nine! It was the best seminar of the 3 hospitals. I'll do a Pittsburgh post (I think there's a Drs./Hospitals Forum) to share the differences as I saw them. But the good news was I finally got some reliable confirmation by someone (Patty their insurance person) that I'm a good candidate and should be approved (the hypertension diagnosis was the key), but I'll post details in the insurance forum.

Giliardi- I'll keep tabs on your progress and any experiences you have at AGH as I'm selecting them to do my surgery, since you're almost there. I almost went to their Oct. seminar but I didn't know anything then so I put it off (we might have met then).

Shira- Good luck with Magee (I think a higher BMI will help- Do you have any comorbidities, I can't remember?). Yep, my 3 kids are the whole reason I'm have a fat belly...it has nothing to do with how much I eat...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I wonder waht my skinny ass husbands flat belly would look like if he went through 3 pregnancies...really! I'm new to this blogging thing, but I think it will be a motivation for me to keep pluggging along and to make changes (even if I'm the only one who sees it). I'm off to read yours!

Funny, but Dr. Uchal and Dr. Colella are in the same practice. when I had my seminar Dr. Uchal was the speaker - he was excellent. my girlfriend as seen both doctors and said she really likes them both. she is thrilled with her results and said it is the best thing she has ever done for herself.

Thanks guys for all the AGH feedback.......It has calmed my nerves.....And yes, Dr Collela and Dr Uchal are hunks....like GQ material but both seem very genuine and professional.........Surgery upcoming.........I was wondering if anyone has found out about the fills and if insurance covers and how many...........I can't believe I didn't ask!!! Anyways.........thanks again

Shassy, I called my insurance which is Highmark BCBS and they will cover fills as long as the are "medically necessary" for life. Hope that helps!!