Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

XP: Successful Bandsters Past and Present

I also posted this under "Food and Nutrition" Forum...

Successful Bandsters Past and Present

I'm pretty new, 7 weeks post op, and wrangling with trying to figure out "how" to eat post band. I know my surgeon says no Snacks, and I'm on board with that. No problem. I'll have to get used to it, but I can. I've quit all carbonation, no longer use straws at all, don't chew gum any more. I don't mind at all not drinking before, during, after meals per my surgeon's request.

However, I'm puzzled. I read on here A LOT and want to be successful for life. How do you eat to lose, and keep weight off, for good? Do you do a low carb low fat high Protein diet? Did you eat differently to lose than you do to maintain? Or do you eat like you did, but just way less?

Honestly, the last option is the one that drew me to the band. Now I wonder if I was perhaps naive thinking I really could just "eat less", like a thin person, and do that forever? I really don't want to spend the rest of my life eating lean chicken and baked fish. I don't want burgers and pizza every day, either, but I do love variety.

What have you done that has worked for you? I'm flailing around trying to find the right thing for me. I'm not restricted yet and that's ok too. It's a process, I'm not impatient, I don't want to have lost 100 pounds by Christmas. Well, ok, it would be groovy but I don't expect it! LOL

Tell me how you do it, would you? Thanks so much!

Hi RM... I know that I'm not one of the people you hope will answer your questions, but I do have some thoughts on this subject, too.... I'm about a week ahead of you and from what I can tell we are similar in our circumstances. I started my Quest on August 7th with the pre-op diet. I've lost 46 pounds to date and am quite happy about that. I think I have some of the same concerns as you and even though I know most of the answers according to the "rules" , I wonder how I will handle things personally. I haven't had a fill yet and they don't want me to come in until November 10th to discuss it. My eating habits are not alot different from when I lost weight on my own, except now I can't overeat at all. I'm in a good mind frame and this is good. I plan to do what is right for me and that is eating regular food, but just much less. This is the only way I think I can keep it up... I don't want to feel like I can't do things. If I want something I'm going to have it.... Just not very much of it... I had a bite of my husband's apple pie tonight, but that one bite satisfied me and I don't want anymore. It didn't hurt me and I feel fine about it.. I don't want to be stuck with cardboard tasting low fat things and making different food for myself while making regular food for my husband. He doesn't need to lose weight and I won't make him eat that stuff either. I want my life to be as normal as possible. I just want to have control of myself. This band gives me the extra "courage" that has seemed to evade me in the past. Does all that make any sense to you.? It is so encouraging to me to feel that I don't have to worry any longer about gaining weight and just have to wait for the pounds to fall off one at a time..... It's like a security blanket, I guess..... Thanks for listening... Hope you get the answers you want from those who have been at this a lot longer than we have... Did you get your first fill yet? Good luck... Julie

Mrs. Bubba you're a successful Bandster "present!" I appreciate your input. Right now because I have no restriction I can eat almost like I used to, but can certainly use willpower for a while. I've always been able to LOSE but then I get bored and "revert to the wild" :) What you do sounds like a plan for me. I appreciate your answer; and would like to hear from more people who do the same...or different? I just want to be successful! :rolleyes2:

Oh and I got my first fill last thurs...1.5 cc in a 14 cc band. I honestly can't tell any difference but my doc wants me cut out all Snacks before he starts tightening things up, so I'm doing that per his request. :thumbdown:

I eat a normal balanced diet from the five food groups. I dont low carb and I dont do high Protein. I eat meat, dairy, fruit and veg, wholegrains.

The ONLY difference between my diet now and the diet I had pre banding is I eat a lot less, I dont eat between meals and I have a lot fewer treats. I'd estimate the protein/carb balance in my diet has shifted slightly more in favour of Protein, as I would eat a couple of slices of bread a week and and rely more on crackers, and cereals like oatmeal and I dont often have big Pasta dinners anymore.

I exercise religiously, running an hour six days a week or so.

To maintain, I never changed a thing. My weight loss gradually just petered out and now the routine I had to lose weight is the routine I've kept to maintain it. I eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day.

Jacqui thanks for answering. I, as always, appreciate your honesty and experience! :) So far, it's looking good for just watching it and cutting back on things.

At the one year mark, and still slowly losing, I do the eat less thing... I chose the band for the ability to eat what I want, but in MUCH smaller portions. If I want it, I have it, although it might not be much... except pizza... LOL. pizza is the devil. :smile:

I, like Jacqui eat less carbs and more Protein just because bread and my band don't mix well... and I truly DO feel empowered now, making healthy choices... You might have things that don't 'agree' with your band as much as pre-band. But you can eat anything you want... just keep it balanced. :frown:

Thanks again to all who have posted. I believe I was falling back into a "diet" type mentality and fortunately caught myself. I know the band is for life; it's what I want. BUt after years of, uh, Brainwashing? LOL it's easy to revert to old habits that don't help. Even when the old habit is "dieting" and not "eating everything!" I'm going to set a task for myself ... eat normally, but less, and no Snacks. I don't have any restriction yet but it will come, and now will be a good time for me to establish new habits, like small bites, chewing like a banshee, no liquids with meals, Protein first, and so on. I am glad I caught myself before I got back into the diet/boredom rut. :smile: Your honesty has helped me immensely!

Thank you for asking this question Restless. I think this is information that all of us as new bandsters wanted to know, but may not have been as sure how to ask (at least I didn't know how to :smile:).

Thank you for asking this question Restless. I think this is information that all of us as new bandsters wanted to know, but may not have been as sure how to ask (at least I didn't know how to :smile:).

LOL "everything you wanted to know about eating post band (but didn't know how to ask)"

Thanks! I just went and bought some food.....healthy, sensible, tasty, food! :frown:

LOL "everything you wanted to know about eating post band (but didn't know how to ask)"

:smile::lol::frown::lol::cool2::lol::w00t::lol::tt2::lol::)

What did you buy?

I don't know exactly what I bought since I'm still dragging it in and putting it away...LOL

tonight we're having plank grilled tilapia (I call it plankton. It's not precise but it's a lot easier to say LOL) and red potatoes with some herb on them instead of butter. Rosemary, I think? :smile:

beyond that, beats me. I'm starved but not snacking; that's the important thing.

I exercise religiously, running an hour six days a week or so..

I think the three things that are crucial for me are 1, exercise, 2, cutting carbs and sugar 3, cutting down snacking.

Iv had a few setbacks, a heat rash that spread and spread until I had to go see a dermatologist and lost a month not walking or exercising. A cruise set me back and other cruises planned, so Im not going to set any weight loss records. Lost the weight before and pushed and pushed, but then like you I got tired of "dieting" and ate all the fried and sugary foods I wanted and gained it back very very fast. This time Im doing it slow but sure. Im not depriving myself like I did before, just being better about some foods and making sure I walk/jog, which I just got back to a week ago. I do have some treats still, if my family has a sub, I do too, but not every day and I might skip Breakfast if I do.

My ticker doesnt reflect the weight I lost pre surgery, only the weight Iv lost since the surgery. At least Im finally back in Onederland. Iv lost the easy weight, now Im just doing 10 lbs at a time. I try and just concentrate on the ten pounds Im working on, so I dont get discouraged.