Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fainting on the liquid diet

So..i went for my pre-op on friday (surgury on the 17). I have been on the liquid diet now for a week (some cheating, but checked with dr about it), anyway, i ended up fainting in the dr. office after they drew my blood. I know that the liquid diet isn't much, but i think it just isn't enough literally for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not me. What did they do when you fainted in the office? And what "cheating" did your doctor approve?

I was hungry but I handled it.

You do know post op you pretty much HAVE to be on liquids for a while to allow your stomach to heal where the band is placed? It's good you and your surgeon have a plan of attack now so that you can heal well without fainting again! Good luck!

cheating pre op included eating chicken and salmon. I did also eat the mash potatos...i know they were not a part of it, but i still have lost 10 pounds. While in the process of faining, i saw stars, and everything went black, but they had me put my head down on the blood drawing chair, i started to sweat HORRIBELY...and out i went. I heard them call for help, i thought my eyes were open but i couldn't see a thing. They gave me Water and toldme to sit for a while! After the while..i ended up driving home and i ate. I definilty want this surgury...but i also need to not faint. After that i decided that i do need to eat something else besides the liquid diet. I try not too...but i was told i could have a yogurt too....... i do eat in moderation, and the dr. knows it too....they just asked me not to eat anything from this tuesday on......that way everything i have eating will come out before then!

Edited by Lshelley21
i do know that post op has HAS to be liquids for 1 week...

i do know i need to be on liquids for post op...that is fine, i can do a week of that, but with out needles, or whatever else caused me to do that!

also i found that egg beaters have less then the Protein shakes in calories and higher Protein too...

They should've taken your blood pressure and are you diabetic?

Have you felt woozy before when they have drawn your blood in the past?

Just realize that post op liquids means nothing that you chew (even eggbeaters, unless you're drinking it yuk) LOL because when you chew and digest your stomach churns and it can rip the sutures holding your band n place. So it is REALLY important.

My doc has his patients on one week clear (No Protein shakes nothing but Water, broth, and sugar free popsicles and SF Jello that is chewed. have you ever chewed just plain old Jello LOL?) the second week we were allowed to add Protein Shakes into the mix.

If you've never fainted before, don't have blood pressure issues, and don't have diabetes, I guess it was a fluke but it sounds to me like they should've checked you out more. You know better than me, though! :thumbup:

they did take my blood pressure while i was there and it was 110/70 no i am not a diabetic....and i do completely understand post op............includeing lol egg beaters! But i am pre op still!

well I guess just quit looking when they draw your blood or start an IV! LOL It is odd that you fainted, though.

You'll be fine, I'm sure, as long as your doctor is aware and on top of things! Good luck! :thumbup:

i know i have a huge welt in my arm....and it is KILLING...i think when she took the 4th vial of my blood...that she poked the needle further in, because she basically got NO blood in the last vial...i think she was trying to drain my tendon or something! lol. I was so embarrased...i couldn't stop laughing, even though it wasn't funny...

Even though you aren't diabetic -- perhaps with your reduced diet your blood sugar was low -- that can make you faint. Also are you drinking your Water? Dehydration can make you faint also.

Yes I did.

I didnt *have* to do a liquid diet, at a BMI of 36 I had by pure chance had a liver ultrasound due to to an overzealous gp who sent me off for a barrage of tests when he referred me to the surgeon. So I knew for a fact my liver wasnt enlarged or fatty and had the results for the surgeon. He said there was no need to do the liquid diet but I thought I might as well get a good jump start.

When I fainted about five times (three days into it) I rang him and he said to get off it and eat something, that its only done to shrink the liver and in general terms is not in the least bit good for you or a healthy way to lose weight unless there is a pressing reason to lose fast.

I also had trouble on the liquid part of the post op diet but I had to stick to that.

I lost weight well on 1500 to 1800 calories a day so perhaps itwas just too severe a caloie restriction for me. I also cant cope with a high Protein low carb diet, it makes me feel TERRIBLE, I really need my carbs.

But if she was getting no blood in the vial, you're quite severely dehydrated.

Edited by Jachut

You know there are those that just can't handle getting their blood drawn!! lol. I draw blood all the time on people and about 90% say I'm scared to death of needles and they can't even watch me. I have had a few pass out on me. Your electrolytes may be out of whack because you may be dehydrated a little or you may be anemic or you may have just passed out due to them drawning your blood! lol

Good Luck!!