Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am new here....I am 28 and I weight 240 at 5'8 which gives me a 36 BMI. According to all the documents I have read I am not a candidate for lap band because my BMI is not that hight. Furthermore I have Kaiser who does not offer any information for weight loss surgery. I do not have physical health issues at this point but I most certainly have emotional. I have been extremely depressed since I became pregnant 5 years ago and gained the 100 lbs which I have not lost. Kaiser sent me to a shrink who then sent me to an eating disorder support group full of bulimics which was not helpful one bit...made me feel even worse.....doctors have perscribed lots of anti depressants which just make me sleepy that I am frustrated. My friends mom had lapband done in TJ and has alredy lost 55 lbs in last year and look great and is glowing with happiness. I ve been yo yo dieting for 5 years without any real success. I need help.....what are my options......In us I read surgery can cost between 15k -20k .....TJ charges 10K but that is really scarry being a foreign country.........anyone have ideas?

My surgeon does LapBand either if you have a BMI of 40 or higher, are 100 pounds more overweight, or if you have a BMI of 35 or higher with other obesity complications (like sleep apnea, back problems, high blood pressure)...I am self pay and at my surgery center it came out to be around 16000 or so for the surgery, 13 months of fills and if something goes wrong with the band within the first 2 years than they'll fix it and all I would have to pay is for annesthsia...It varys from place to place, but do some more research...there are so many places to look...good luck and keep us posted :)

Hi, I am not sure where you live, but my surgeon Dr. Michael A Snyder is going to start doing clinical studies on people with a BMI of at least 35 (but below 40) with the band. I don't know anymore beyond that or if you are even interested. If it is something you are interested in and want more info his website is www.denverbariatrics.com . He is one of the, if not the best weight loss surgeons in Colorado. I got the Realize band 10/2 and paid a total of $14350.00, I don't know what the cost would be or if there even would be one (since it is a study). If you want, I would call his office on Monday as I know they are going to start doing it soon if they haven't already started it.

Good luck!! :)

Hi,

I too had a BMI of 36. I am 5'5 and was 220. Just like you I did not have any health related issues, but plenty of emotional issues. I have been struggling for the last 15 years with my weight gain. I struggled with endometriosis and therefore was on tons of hormones and several surgeries to have children. Fast forward to 2004 I had to have my uterus removed. This past march I once again had surgery to remove my ovaries. Thus hormones again. From March to September I put on 22 more pounds, putting me at my all time high of 220. My husbands insurance offers no WLS coverage, and my insurance said I wasn't heavy enough. I also looked into the Mexico thing, but when I seriously thought it over, the fear and the thought of not having my Dr. in town quickly changed my mind. I decided to go to a seminar in my town and within 4 weeks I was on the O.R. table having my band put in. Now as far as costs, I decided to apply for care credit and was approved within 60 seconds online. My surgery cost me 15,500, this includes preop,postop, and fills for one year. Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way not condoning going abroad for surgery, however when I went to the seminar, the surgeon clearly stated that he would not touch any patient who went abroad for a band placement due to liability issues. I have also heard of Dr.s in the states charging up to 3,000 to become your postop doc here in the states. Thats when it became clear to me, that it truly was not worth it for me. As far as the band is concerned I could not be happier. This has been the best decision in my life. I have lost 17lbs since 9/12/08 and am looking forward for my first fill so that I can continue going downwards on the scale! I wish you the best of luck in your decision, and may you also become a bandster very soon!

ObTech 89117

Edited by obtech89117

I also paid usig CareCredit and the great thing about them is you can reuse the card as long as you have a balance on it..so say when I have hanging skin everywhere :)...lol I can use my card for it...lol.

I was just banded on September 29, 2008 and had a BMI of 34.8. I am 34 years old, 5'7" and weighed 235 at my surgery date. My co-morbidities only included slight sleep apnea, high cholesterol and reflux and none of them were major except my cholesterol. I was approved through BCBS and they paid all but $700 of my surgery, so there is hope. I to was unsure whether they would approve me, more less pay for someone who only has about60-70 lbs to loose. Keep up trying, it can work for you and it has been worth everything sooooo far.......for me. I am currently 12 days post op and have lost 18.8 pounds so far. Keep trying and will send my prayers that maybe this will work for you. I feel your pain and experienced the same feelings as you. Prayers!!!!

Hello. I had a BMI of 36. My insurance would not pay for my surgery, so I decided to self-pay. It cost $13,500 and includes lifetime fills and doctor/nutritionist visits for a year. I was banded on 9/4/08 and have lost 24 lb. so far (including pre-op diet). My doctor will band those who have at least 40 lb. to lose and will follow his instructions. Good luck!

My co-morbidities only included slight sleep apnea, high cholesterol and reflux and none of them were major except my cholesterol.

I was just curious...to me high cholesterol and sleep apnea are both major...sleep apnea means at some point when you're sleeping you stop breathing. Even if it is just slightly that seems pretty bad to me. Congrats on your band!!! Good luck everyone. I'm sure you'll find your answer somewhere :thumbup: