Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel like a NORMAL Person again!!!!!!

Hey All, I had my surgery 9-29-08 and I am going ok.. But, when will new banders feel normal again, when can we eat normal(But Healthy)..When can we go to dinner with family and friends and eat and not worry about PBing. When can we eat salads, meats, etc. When can we do girls night out(Drinkings). Right now I don't want to eat in front of family or go out because all I can have is mushies...Can't drink and eat together... All of these rules are getting to me....:D Again, when will we all feel good about the weight loss and enjoying a meal with friends and family.???????:sad_smile::w00t::smile::w00t::mad2::w00t::tt1::w00t:

Its been "9" days!! You need to be way more patient with yourself. You arent even supposed to be on mush yet! 2 weeks liquid, a week or two or mush, then when your body is ready you move to solids slowly, introducing them a little at a time. I would say maybe after the first month you will be able to eat more normaly. Not right now. In time you should be able to eat the same foods only in very very small bites, chewing it into a paste. Give yourself lots of credit for doing this but be patient and know that in time you will be able to eat normal. good luck!!

I am sure your surgeon gave you details of your post-op diet. I was able to start eating normal (i.e. on solid foods) about 1 month post-op. I did have to go out with family once prior to that while on mushies and ordered Soup. But once on solids, you can eat normal foods just not a lot of it. Until you are accustomed to what foods you can tolerate, you should be careful what you order. But in general, if you eat slowly and take small bites, you won't have to worry about PB'ing. Girls night out drinking should be kept to a minimum especially while you are in the weight loss phase. And we just have to accept that we can no longer drink with our meal. In a sit-down restaraunt, I order a drink when I am seated and stop drinking when the meal comes. The rules are for life, they won't ever go away. But you do get accustomed to it and when the weight starts coming off and you start to feel and look better you definitely realize that the rules are worth it.

If you stop and think about it, the way we ate before getting banded, the way of eating that caused us to need the band, is NOT normal; it's not the way a person of appropriate weight eats. I for one don't want to go back to that. I do understand what you mean though. The first month or so, until you start introducing regular solid foods back into your diet, can make you feel like a bit of an outcast. It is a shame that so many social things seem to revolve around eating and drinking.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything...but you'll ALWAYS worry about PBing from here on out. It's to embarrassing when you do it, in public, it's always at the back of your mind. LoL The nurse in my surgeon's office even keeps a container in her car just in case she might need it randomly. *shrug* BUT WE SURE DO LOOK HOT!! *laughing*

Hey All, I had my surgery 9-29-08 and I am going ok.. But, when will new banders feel normal again, when can we eat normal(But Healthy)..When can we go to dinner with family and friends and eat and not worry about PBing. When can we eat salads, meats, etc. When can we do girls night out(Drinkings). Right now I don't want to eat in front of family or go out because all I can have is mushies...Can't drink and eat together... All of these rules are getting to me....:D Again, when will we all feel good about the weight loss and enjoying a meal with friends and family.???????:sad_smile::w00t::smile::w00t::mad2::w00t::tt1::w00t:

I got mine done on 9-30... I can relate, I sometimes can't help but be a bit inpatient. I have already started planning my meals for the "mush" diet, which I do not believe you should really be on already! I am starting to feel more normal every day. The cite of my port is still quite sore, and stings at times when I am sitting upright, but more and more normal as the days pass. I wouldn't mind an email every now and again to hear how you are doing! Since we are on the same timeline (but I have much more to lose than you). Let me know! Good luck, and God Speed!

Hi,

I feel you...We've all been there but be patient. You'll be able to eat a regular diet before you know it. I wasn't able to eat a regular diet until my 5th week. It was hard but it's worth following the instructions given to you by your surgeon. Think about that weight coming off. You know what's good inspiration and that looking through the Before and After Pictures Thread. Wow! What some of them have accomplished makes you want to cry for joy because a year or so from now hopefully we can post our Before and After Pictures. Go ahead and take a look at some of them and let them inspire you. I'm sending good vibes towards your way.:D

If me, preband was normal then I don't EVER want to be normal again. I always want my band to be a reminder to me. I always want to be cautious of what I put it my mouth. It is defniately a major adjustment, but you can adjust. Stick with the rules, and embrace your NEW normal!!

I was banded 9-29 and am having a VERY hard day. Glad I got on here and read your post and the responses. There were reasons I wanted the lap band and its just hard to remember all that, since i've had the pain for 10 days. And not being able to eat whatever. I'm struggling with the emotional part of letting go of my old eating habits. It's harder for some of us then others. Hang in there and know you're not alone. I'm going to look at before and after pics now. Thanks for that suggestion!!

I don't think I will ever "feel like a normal person" again if being normal was what I was before my band. I am nearly nine weeks out and EVERYTHING I swallow can effect me but I like it. My good friend (eating buddy) still brings me food and I can't believe I ate that amount before! I'm eating 1/4 what I used to and I am fine with that. My eyes have changed because my stomach has forced it to and I love it! I have a 21 year old daughter who has never had a weight problem but eats like what I used to call fussy, now I get it. She eats like a normal person should and I find myself eating a lot like she does - healthy!!! I HOPE I always have that reminder in my stomach saying, "oh no, you're not going to eat that. Swallow it and you'll be PBing." I thank the Lord for allowing me to have this tool. (Side note: I think we should add a smile with praying hands. Can I get an "Amen?") :wink2: