Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band date is Oct 14

Well, it's almost here. I have a mixed bag of feelings. First and foremost I'm totally excited. I can't wait to start a new life. But, I'm also nervous. I've never been put to sleep. But, my biggest fear is failure. I have only told my closest family members and a couple of my closest friends because I am so afraid that this to will fail. I have tried every weight loss method out there and I will lose about 30 pounds and then I can't go any further. I get frustated, give up, and then gain it all back. I am so afraid of failure yet again. I worry that I will be one of those that are not successful. I feel like this is the final option for me. I know that this is only a tool and I pray I will use it like I'm suppose to.:tt2:

TXNurse, my surgery is October 13th and I too am nervous, not so much about surgery but the pain after. I am a wimp.:tt2:

I totally understand about the not telling people. I too am afraid I will be the one who fails. I have started telling some people because failure is not an option. On vacation a month ago everytime I looked at a tshirt my husband told me to buy a smaller size. I was successful on my weightloss to get insurance approval, and people started to comment on my weight loss AND ask me how I did it. That is what I am afraid of. I am thinking of just saying I had surgery to cure my diabetes and a wonderful after effect was the weight loss. I think as we get more comfortable with our life style change we may be more comfortable telling people.

We have a wonderful support group in Buffalo, monthly support meetings in the hospital and we started our own thread on LBT. Tomorrow I go in for my final weigh in and will stop and see someone who is having surgery tomorrow. I never met her except on line. Plus the doctor started a walking group in a local park at 8am on Saturday mornings. Sometimes there are only two of us but it still is nice to talk to someone while walking.

I stay overnight so I will be getting my barium swallow when you are going into surgery. I will say a prayer for you.

BTW one woman I walk with is a nurse and she told her staff she had her gall bladder out:tongue2:

Txnurse.. I first of all want to wish you the best of luck.. Your feelings are not unusual .. I have had about 8 surgeries in my life and each time i freak out.. No matter how many times you get put to sleep for surgery it does not get easier.. but you have to believe and have faith that you have chosen a great doctor who knows what they are doing... Also think about how much money you are putting in to this and it will make that so much easier to use this tool properly.. the hardest part is the first 2 weeks preop and then a few weeks post op.. I have been heavy all my life and I began researching this procedure back in 2001 and It took me until this year to decide I wanted to do it.. I know you are afraid to fail and have everyone know about it, but I promise you the more people who know the more successful you will be .. It will be easier when you go somewhere that people dont question why you are only drinking Protein Shakes or only having a cup of food.. it is a big lifestyle change and the more people you have the support you the easier the lifestyle will be to adapt too..best wishes