Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new...couple of qs :o)

Hello Everyone!

So I have been lurking on this site for a few weeks now and I am finally posting. After "thinking about it" for about 5 years I am starting the process. Tuesday is the first meeting.

My insurance seems pretty easy to work with (Health Partners, anybody have it?) so I am not too worried about it. My BMI has been over 40 for many years but I also have NO other complications due to weight. So I guess I am a little nervous about it.

So I guess my biggest question is; from this point how long has it taken people to get the surgury? How much say do you have in when it's done? I have two full weeks off at Christmas and I was really nievely thinking that it would be awesome if I could plan it to work with that. The hospital that I would go to does it as an outpatient so I would go home the same day...is that nuts? How long was everybody in the hospital for?

I am very excited to be finally doing something that feels more permanent than all the yoyoing. I have a young daughter that I REALLY don't want to follow in my foot steps as I am now but sometimes I just feel so powerless.

Anyway sorry that got long. I love reading all your posts and stories. I am so greatful for the internet!

Take Care!

~Amy

The time line basically just depends on how quickly your insurance approves, whether or not they have a required medically supervised diet---some do, most are 6 months supervised. Some insurances also require other tests, everything from a psyche evaluation, to sleep studies, to swallow studies, most require EKG's and cardiac clearance, etc. so it depends how long it takes to get all the required testing set up and done. Then whenever your surgeon is available. Some get it going and are ready in weeks---others it takes their insurance months to respond-----so there is no set in stone time line we can provide you with. Hope you get your Christmas present tho!!!!

Many, many Dr.'s do it as an outpatient. Some stay over 2-3 days, others are home 3 hours after surgery----and we all survived to compare notes!!! If you have someone to help you coming home follwing the surgery will not be a problem. Just remember to WALK as much as you can, sip slowly....and breath deeply every hour. You will get the same instructions from the Dr.!!!

Glad you come out of lurker mode, and welcome to LBT---good luck with your insurance---hope the time line works out for you!!

Kat

I went to Mexico and was supposed to stay in the hotel next door and extra night, but paid to change my flight and came home after one night in the hospital. My surgery was late the day before I left. I probably should have stayed the extra day because I came home exhausted. Im also probably quite a bit older than you, so you may not be as tired after the surgery.

I decided and had the surgery in a matter of weeks, just decided it was the thing for me and did it. I needed to get it done so Id have time for the 4 weeks of mushies before I went on a cruise I had booked. I didnt want to still be on mushies, so I scheduled it pretty fast. That first month after surgery when you arent allowed to eat regular food I thought would never end. I tend to be impatient.

Just be aware this isnt a overnight process and try and be patient.

Amy,

I was in a simialr boat. I started the process in July with my first visit to my Surgen. I called my insurance constantly to find out exactly what they needed, what they would pay for and what I needed to pay for. I called at least a dozen times to check on the 6month diet guidline. (My insurance did not require one) It was about 3 months from the time that I first saw the surgen until I planned my surgery. I am schuedled to be banded Oct 13 and just got my final approval Thurs. My advice is to keep on top of the whole process. Don't assume that the Dr office has done what they are suppose to and/or the insurance. Get specific dates when things were sent and/or are going to be sent. When you have the routine test done check to make sure that your surgon has gotten a copy. Also to make things go faster I went to my PCP with the request for medical records myself. Also make sure you keep track of who you talk to. Good luck....