Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all newbie from perth.

Hey all,

This site is great, loads of information.:biggrin:

I have my first app with dr Kevin Dolan in Perth in November,

I dont know if im excited or scared :) the most.

Luckly i have private cover so the repcepionst said within 8wks,

I want to loss about 50kgs.

Has anyone else used Dr Dolan?

Is there anything i can do now b4 operation?:thumbup:

Hi Tas31. Welcome to LBT!

Hey all,

This site is great, loads of information.:biggrin:

I have my first app with dr Kevin Dolan in Perth in November,

I dont know if im excited or scared :wink_smile: the most.

Luckly i have private cover so the repcepionst said within 8wks,

I want to loss about 50kgs.

Has anyone else used Dr Dolan?

Is there anything i can do now b4 operation?:mellow:

Hi There,

I am brand new also and have my first appointment with Kevin Dolan on 4th December! I can't wait I have so many questions. I'm torn between wanting my band asap or waiting till after christmas. I figured if he normally operates 4-6 weeks after initial consultation and I also know that he is off for the week over christmas so maybe early Jan? Please let us know how your appoinment goes. BTW I'm a private patient are you?

HI Perthgirl

My First app is the 19th Nov, im also private, i would like it done end Janurary so i can combine the time off work to recover and to watch my daughter start school.

My doc said to ask about shoudler tip pain after opp.

I dont have any questions i just want to close my eyes and hope for the best.

Will you have your op in Joondalup? what a laugh if we r in together.

Keep me posted.

I have a 7 month old little boy, so hubby will have to take time off to help in the first week. Apparently I will need help lifting him. Yep my operation will be at Joondalup. Its a really good hospital I had my son there. I am a little bit concerned when I hear some people say they can't eat bread or red meat anymore after having the Lapband. Oh well I guess its a small price to pay to finally feel good about myself!

Hi Fanny

Thanks for the welcome, hope i can do aswell as you in a year.

Is there anything you cant do/eat now that you could b4 you were banded??

Hey Perthgirl,

Joondalup is a good hospital been there a few times and close to home.

Not sure on what we can and cant eat but no more drinking (alcohol) is scary haha

Hi again, Tas and PerthGirl. What people can and can't eat differs widely but certainly not everyone can't eat red meat or rice/pasta. I can eat anything I want, in small portions, without any troubles at all. About the only thing I avoid completely is carbonated drinks, as they give me the burps really badly and it hurts. I still drink alcohol on occasion, but I am SUCH a cheap drunk these days that I have to be very careful. I had a VERY high tolerance before, so that's been quite a change - my drink of choice is scotch & Water with lots of ice, but wine would work for most people if they like it.

In my opinion, the secret to success with the band is to NOT strive for total restriction. Keep the band loose and let it curb your appetite, don't try to make your hunger disappear entirely. We are meant to get a bit hungry around meal times, just not starving every minute of the day. When you do that, you can eat good solid healthy foods like lean steak and salad, which sit in your pouch and make you feel full for much longer. If you try to get too much restriction, you'll have problems with getting stuck and sliming all the time on solid foods, and will end up turning to soft, easy-to-eat high fat foods like icecream and chocolate. Those don't fill you up or stay in the pouch, so you end up still feeling hungry and snack more and more - it becomes a vicious cycle.

Working with a looser band does require some will power. You still have to choose WHAT you put in your mouth. The band only limits how much of it you can eat, and it works best on limiting solid food, not soft foods or liquids. I have found that, because I am not feeling that "starving out of control" feeling all the time, I have enough will power left to make the right choices and say no to chips and cakes, etc. I never believed I'd hear myself say this but now it really doesn't bother me to turn these things down when offered. I don't turn them down every time, but I make it a very rare treat. I am even able to go to parties and not graze at the nibblies table all night - and that is a miracle!!

Good luck for both of you! Try not to stress about it, take the sensible approach and let it happen. It might be slow but it does work!

Hi all

im from nsw having the band was the best thing i have ever done for myself i had banding done in april and have lost about 16 kilos. i find that the only real time i have trouble with the band is when eating bread and chicken i can eat it i just find that i just to eat it more slowly.

Chriswa i only stayed overnight i assume that is the normal time.

good luck with it all any questions feel free to ask.:)

Edited by tazziecat

I have a quick question i would like to add .... How long do u stay in hospital?
I think it depends on the person and a lot on what time you are scheduled for surgery. I was the first cab off the rank at 8am, so I only stayed in for the day and went home by about 5pm. For many people it is an overnight stay. Recently I had some minor corrective surgery on my tube and I was in theatre at 2pm, so stayed overnight.

Thanks for all the answers :rolleyes2:. And thanks Tas for letting me ask on your thread :hurray:. I will be trying to make a appointment during the week for when i am in perth ... fingers crossed !!!!

Hi all,

I hope everyone is well?

I had my app on the 19th of Nov, I am all booked in for Jan the 27th (had to chose that day because of work commitments) i am having it done at Glengarry.

Dolan was great quick and easy i dont see him now till a mth after op. I have had my liver ultra sound, and i am having bloods done on friday. Then dietition on the 27th dec.

If i wasnt scared b4 i am now (nervous/scarred/excited) my hubby wont let me back out haha.

chriswa did u make app?

perthgirl not long to app.

bye for now

:thumbup:Hi Tas ... how exciting, dont be nervous i am sure it will be the best thing u have ever done.

No I have not made my appointment yet but will do ... have to go to local dr first to get a ref!! Been busy with kids end of school stuff.

Keep me posted on it all :blush: Im so excited for u !!!!