Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanna Be Looking For Advice

Hi! I am pre-band, WAY pre-band. I want to know who you went to and your experience. Anything - who your PCP is and who your surgeon was, how long it took from start to finish...I know that it is different for everyone but I want to be ready for anything! Thanks!!

krista

I live in MN so the who and where probably won't do you any good. I had it done as outpatient... went into the hospital at 10:00 am and left about 6:30 pm or so. The pain med they prescribed was tylnol w/codiene but I was affraid the codiene would make me sick so I just took extra strength tylnol... the pain was not so bad, but the surgery set me back more than I had anticipated... I thought it would be a walk in the park because when I had my appy, it was nothing. This was a little more than that. It was not so bad though and is worth it. I actually worked the next day but my job is not strenuous at all - basically just talking, but that was really too soon because I had to do a lot of standing around waiting and not resting when I needed too. I then took the following three days off and then back to work. My doctor had me go 4 days (counting the day of surgery) on Clear liquids... it was fine until the last day when I was really feeling like I could use some food... then it was full liquids and that was much better. then soft foods - which was actually a little more difficult then the full liquids because I think I tried to push it a little and tried things not really as soft as it could be... that would cause some pain and seemed to cause some more swelling.

Good luck with your decision and follow the rules - that helps me the mose.

Hi! I am pre-band, WAY pre-band. I want to know who you went to and your experience. Anything - who your PCP is and who your surgeon was, how long it took from start to finish...I know that it is different for everyone but I want to be ready for anything! Thanks!!

krista

I was banded by Dr. Matthew Metz with Colorado Bariatric Surgery institute. I went in for my initial appt, preop, nutrition and Social Work on July 17th and was able to schedule surgery that day for August 14th. My insurance approved the procedure within 5 days(2 of those days were the weekend) My procedure was scheduled for 11:30am and I was released by 4pm that day. Everything has gone well so far. I had my first fill on Sept 12th and will be getting my 2nd on October 16th. I am hoping this 2nd fill gives me some much needed restriction.

Hi Wannabe

I had Kaiser insurance this year and I didn't want to have to jump through all of the hoops. They wanted me in a Kaiser weight loss support group for at least a year before I would be considered. I called Dr. Kirshenbaum's office at the end of February of this year, met with him for a consult at the end of March and had my surgery scheduled during the visit for May 9. I decided to pay for it myself and put it on a credit card. I can claim it as a medical expense next year. It was something I really did my homework on, I looked at this website quite a bit, I looked on the internet, kept reading Dr. Kirshenbaum's website and I was convinced that this was the right option for me. I'm doing really well. I've lost over 40 pounds. I feel so much better. I like the way the band is working for me.

Caminco

Thanks everyone! I went to my PCP and talked about it and because I have done lots of stuff for myself in the past with no results - not under doctor supervision - I agreed to one more try with portion-control, diet and exercise. He says if i don't lose anything or less than a pound a week, we will reevaluate my status in a couple of months. I think that is a healthy way to go - I still think the band will help me long-term, but i think proving to the doc that i can't do it alone will help more. I really like my PCP and I am willing to do this for him!

Funny thing - I was hoping to get approved for the band next year so i could save in my medical savings account for the surgery copay and stuff - seems to be working out well!