Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a December Date?

Hi Carol! I'm on the 9th too. Good luck!

That nice I have someone on same day as I am having my surgery.

What kind of preop do you have to do and when do you start.

Blessings on your jouney

Carol

Hi All,

I have a Dec. 12th date. I am VERY excited and VERY nervous at the same time! My biggest fear is how I am going to be able to get into the grove of changing my eating habits. Any help on how y'all are coping?

:Dancing_sorry:

That nice I have someone on same day as I am having my surgery.

What kind of preop do you have to do and when do you start.

Blessings on your jouney

Carol

Hi Girls; Me too, DEC 9. Let's see Carol, MommyJD and Vickie. Anybody else on the 9th? I need tranquilizers. I'm having problems sleeping because of the excitment. Yes we're suppose to be on a diet but I keep baking and eating. I guess because I know this is coming up--I don't know. I hope this really works and I will get in control of my health.

Hello everyone. I finally got approved (after 9 months):) and my date is Dec3 or Dec4. I am so excited:biggrin::Dancing_sorry:!!! Yes, a bummer because of the holidays, but oh well, this time next year we are going to be lookin' good. Did someone say they had a protien shake reciepe for eggnog? Please, give it to us. YUMMMM!! Goosefraba where did you get that cute "Holiday Hottie" sign and how do you get it on your post? GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!:Dancing_wub:

The only preop test I know of is the Upper GI that I am doing that morning. I have 2 appts with the dr. after that. I will post what those will entail. I am so excited!!!:Dancing_sorry:

Hi Girls; Me too, DEC 9. Let's see Carol, MommyJD and Vickie. Anybody else on the 9th? I need tranquilizers. I'm having problems sleeping because of the excitment. Yes we're suppose to be on a diet but I keep baking and eating. I guess because I know this is coming up--I don't know. I hope this really works and I will get in control of my health.

Hi Vickie from Alaska,Palin turf.You know the diet thing,it is so different for everyone.I was told to lose 30lbs to get my BMI BELOW 50.MY surgery date is on the 8th,and now is the time for me to be having alllllllll my favorite foods and I'm told to lose 30lbs:angry:I must say i did not see that one coming:sad_smile:I still have 8lbs to go,not bad for me in one month .So Vickie you can bake and eat----enjoy .Also two weeks before my surgery i have to live on Protein Shakes and Jello that's 800 to 1ooo calories a day:mad:all i can say,its going to be a long 2 weeks.I bet ,i lose more then 30lbs:smile2:Thanksgiving for me is very simple ,I just pick my favorite shake and enjoy.HAHA.Buy Christmas ILL BE UP TO COTTAGE CHEESE:smile:.ANY WAY SO MUCH for my problems Kerry

The only preop test I know of is the Upper GI that I am doing that morning. I have 2 appts with the dr. after that. I will post what those will entail. I am so excited!!!:Dancing_wub:

Reshma,count your blessing,most of us have :) a lot more to go threw .I to had a upper GI,i HAD TO MEET WITH the Dietitian.Two apps.with a shrink.and Wednesday i had a DSE test for a cardiology clearance .I AM HAPPY TO SAY I PAST all my test ,so surgery is set for the 8th.Kerry:regular_smile:

Hi Vickie from Alaska,Palin turf.You know the diet thing,it is so different for everyone.I was told to lose 30lbs to get my BMI BELOW 50.MY surgery date is on the 8th,and now is the time for me to be having alllllllll my favorite foods and I'm told to lose 30lbs:angry:I must say i did not see that one coming:sad_smile:I still have 8lbs to go,not bad for me in one month .So Vickie you can bake and eat----enjoy .Also two weeks before my surgery i have to live on Protein Shakes and Jello that's 800 to 1ooo calories a day:mad:all i can say,its going to be a long 2 weeks.I bet ,i lose more then 30lbs:smile2:Thanksgiving for me is very simple ,I just pick my favorite shake and enjoy.HAHA.Buy Christmas ILL BE UP TO COTTAGE CHEESE:smile:.ANY WAY SO MUCH for my problems Kerry

Kerry and anyone interested this is my Post Operation Diet and it seems we're not suppose to expect to lose weight until we have had a "Fill". This diet is for healing purposes and the hardest thing for me will be no SODA ever.

The following slow progression back to regular foods is essential to allow the band and its sutures to heal securely in place. You may feel physically *able* to swallow foods much sooner than allowed below, but eating solids too soon will make the stomach contract and move to digest the food (even if you cannot feel the movement), and any movement will disrupt the essential healing process.

The life of your band depends on this early healing, so PLEASE follow the post-op diet exactly to minimize later problems!

DAY 0: (Day of Surgery)

Sips of Water and tea, sips of half-strength apple juice, small bites of jello.

Days 1-3:

CLEAR liquids only.

Start with only 1 teaspoon every 5 minutes. No limit as to how much you may drink during the day, as long as you drink only 1-2 ounces at a time, in small sips.

No chugging or big gulps!

CLEAR LIQUIDS are liquids that you can SEE THROUGH, if held up to a light. Please drink in a minimum of 48 oz a day, and more is better. If you have trouble swallowing, try WARM fluids, even only 1 teaspoon at a time, and put a warm heating pad on your chest to relax the stomach and stoma.

If you CANNOT get in at least 48 ounces of clear Fluid a day, please call our Doctors.

Dehydration will make recovery more difficult. If you are bothered by nausea, you may ask the hospital nurses (if you are still in the hospital) for anti-nausea medication. If you are home, you may ask your family doctor to prescribe some anti-nausea suppositories. These are safer than oral tablets, as putting anything into your stomach when you are already nauseated can make you vomit.

Vomiting must be avoided with the band, especially during this healing phase.

Days 4-14:

FULL LIQUIDS – any food that is pureed to a TOTALLY SMOOTH consistency (no lumps or bits of anything) and then THINNED enough to get through a straw. You need not actually USE a straw, but the food *MUST* be this thin! To thin purees, add the appropriate liquid: water, juice, non-fat milk product, or broth.

Days 15-29:

Soft Foods – any food that you could eat if you had no teeth.

Days 30 forward: Regular foods

Definitions:

Clear Liquids

Water, herbal teas (hot or cool), regular tea or coffee (if you must), crystal light, popsicles of any flavor (no need for sugar-free), clear juices diluted in half by water (apple juice, cranberry juice, white grape juice) , clear Isopure Protein Drinks from GNC or similar CLEAR drinks like the “Nectar” Protein drinks available online. chicken, vegetable, or beef broth (low-sodium). AVOID bouillon, as it is extremely high in salt. Any flavor Jello – no need for sugar-free, although some may be. Jello water. Any of the many flavored, NON-carbonated waters. No sodas or carbonation of any kind with the band, please. If you make your own juices at home, they must be strained to remove all bits of fruit.

Full Liquids

Nonfat milk, “drinkable” yogurt as long as it has no bits of fruit, any full-strength juice (vegetable juices are preferred over fruit juices, which are mostly sugar), any of the lower-calorie protein drinks. ANY purees thinned to liquid consistency: pureed meats, canned or cooked veggies or fruit. Low-fat ice cream, puddings with non-fat milk, lower-calorie smoothies. Thinned cream of wheat or mashed potatoes with no lumps. ANY Soup, as long as it is blended to puree and smooth any noodles, meat, or veggies in it. Smooth applesauce. Frozen juice bars, lowfat fudgesickles. Pureed and thinned refried Beans.

Remember, all Full Liquids must be thin enough to get through a straw.

Soft Foods

Canned tuna, canned chicken, canned ham or beef with lots of lowfat mayo (try nonfat Miracle Whip!). Soft white fish like Talapia. Mashed cottage cheese. Soft cheeses, like string cheese (small bites and chew well). A mashed, soft-boiled egg, or a VERY moist scrambled egg. A mashed, hard-boiled egg with lowfat mayo. (Dry foods can “stick”) Any yogurt, but chew the pieces of fruit well. Very soft cooked stew meat or veggies. Soft casseroles. Any soft canned or cooked and mashed veggies or fruit. Canned Vienna Sausage, canned “potted” meat. Spaghetti or other noodles with sauce. Soft meat loaf of good quality meat with no gristle. oatmeal, cooked grits, Fiber Cereal with milk. Any soup, like “Chunky”, with soft meats and vegetables.

**Eat only a few bites per meal when you first start soft foods.

STOP with any pain or discomfort.

Bandster Eating Rules:

Please remember these rules as you progress through the post-op phases:

1. TAKE ONLY TINY bites, the size of a kernel of corn. Extremely important!

2. Chew VERY thoroughly – at least 10-15 times. Also extremely important!

3. Eat very slowly – listen to your body to see how it is doing after EACH bite. STOP eating with any sign of pain, fullness, nausea, pressure.

4. Starting with SOFT foods – no fluids with meals, or for 1-2 hours after meals. Drink all fluids BETWEEN meals. Drink frequently rather than trying to get in large quantities at a time. Drink a glass of water right before a meal, so your mouth and throat will stay moist.

5. All foods should be moist, as dry foods often stick.

6. Get in a minimum of 64-100 oz of fluids a day. In the immediate post-op period, you may be not be able to swallow this much –but at least 48 oz is needed. You may need to sip all day to do this. Many Bandsters carry a drink bottle with them. When you are exercising and when the weather is hot, you will need even more fluids to remain well-hydrated. Your kidneys are working very hard to excrete the broken-down fat, and need plenty of fluids to help.

7. NO CARBONATION at any time after banding, as it is believed to cause pouch dilation.

8. Starting with soft foods – no liquid calories. Drink only fluids that are no-calorie, or VERY low calorie like crystal light or tomato/V-8 juice. Remember, calories do count! . Fruit juices are no more than sugar water, so are to be avoided. Protein drinks are no longer needed, and should be avoided, as they too are “liquid calories”. Get your protein from real foods that will make the band work.

One exception to this rule is MILK. You may have 2 glasses of nonfat milk or dairy daily to help meet your Calcium needs (as below)

9. Aim for 3 meals a day at regular intervals. 1-2 small protein Snacks are allowed, if needed.

General Information about the Post-op Phases:

1. Some people may have no hunger for several days or even weeks after surgery. Others may feel hunger again soon. Both are normal. The band is not working for most people until you get to a good fill level, which is usually only after an adequate fill. Your initial fill can start as early as 6-8 weeks after your surgery (NO Exceptions); however you don’t always need a fill at this time. Some patients experience restriction, even without getting a fill.

2. AVOID vomiting, as this can dislodge the band. If you are vomiting, please contact the Doctor for help.

3. If you have trouble with a new food phase, return to the old phase for a few more days, then try again slowly. There is no rush to progress.

4. When you begin soft and regular foods, you may find you are able to eat more than you expected. Remember, your band is not really working yet (for most people), so don’t be alarmed! Choose good, nutritious foods and avoid high-calorie ones, sweets, and junk food, and you may be able to lose some weight during this phase. Try to limit your intake to a reasonable amount each day. Some lose weight on the fluid phases, but may regain when they start soft and regular foods. This is normal. Any weight loss you have in these phases before the band is filled is a bonus!

5. Start to learn a lot about better nutrition. Learn what foods contain the protein, fiber, and calcium Bandsters need to assist good weight loss. When you start soft foods, aim for 50-60 grams of protein a day for women (60-70 a day for men.). 25 grams of fiber, and 1500 mg of calcium (1200 for women younger than 50). These are all very important to support good weight loss, as well as for regaining your health. These are things you will need to aim for forever, to maintain your lost weight.

6. FitDay.com is a good internet site to help you track your intake and learn what foods contain the nutrients Bandsters need.

7. Avoid sweets, junk, and poor-nutrition foods. Starting with the regular food phase, avoid Pasta, potatoes, rice, and breads – these are all poor nutrition and mostly empty calories. They will often also plug up the stoma later, when you have fills. Choose healthy, lower-cal foods, and you can lose some weight even before you have a good fill.

8. Start some daily, gentle exercise within a day or two of surgery. Even a 15-minute daily walk is a good start. Try to increase a bit every week. Exercise is essential to build up your muscles and strength, and make your body burn fat more efficiently – which will greatly assist your weight –loss efforts, as well as improve cardio health. If you have special medical problems, consult your family doctor before starting an exercise regimen. No intense exercise or lifting more than 10 # for the 6-week healing period, please. We encourage women to join a gentle, formal exercise programs like “Curves” which is ideal for Bandster women.

9. Start to learn about and choose lower-calorie and lowfat foods most of the time.

10. Add a chewable, adult daily Multi-Vitamin when you begin the full liquid phase (as all U.S. adults are advised). Other supplements are not needed, unless prescribed by your family doctor for a specific condition.

11. Expect some extra gas, belching, and stomach sounds until you heal further, and until your stomach gets used to the band. If the abdominal gas is excessive, you may use some Gas-X.

12. It is normal to have looser stools when you are on liquids. If they become excessive, you may use some Immodium AD with your family doctor’s permission.

13. We urge you to become active in an online support and education board, if you are not yet, where experienced Bandsters will answer questions, explain things, and guide you through the healing and weight-loss Banding phases. ObesityHelp is a good place to start: www.obesityhelp.com

14. We also urge you to become active in local support groups and other Band activities. We find those that do well are frequently those who make the Band and their weight-loss journey a priority in their lives.

Hope this isn't too much information.

Vickie I must say yours is a lot different then mine.First my ban will have a fill the day of my surgery.And my popsicles and Jello has to be sugar free and we are told we must take special supplements for people that have the ban,I am getting the Building Blocks essential bariatric supplement,and we are told to use a bariatric supplement for the rest of our lives.I do like the idea of a heating pad,I saw some one on line say they used one to help with after surgery gas pains.Vickie don't you have to follow a diet before surgery?I and everybody this Dr. does bariatric surgery MUST do the Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids FOR 2 WEEKS before surgery Kerry

I finally got my date!!! It's December 1st!!! I'm so happy I just made the cutoff to be a December bandster!!!!!!:Dancing_sorry:

Hello everyone. I finally got approved (after 9 months):) and my date is Dec3 or Dec4. I am so excited:biggrin::Dancing_sorry:!!! Yes, a bummer because of the holidays, but oh well, this time next year we are going to be lookin' good. Did someone say they had a protien shake reciepe for eggnog? Please, give it to us. YUMMMM!! Goosefraba where did you get that cute "Holiday Hottie" sign and how do you get it on your post? GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!:Dancing_wub:

Welcome Babyfever! My date is Dec 4th and I am excited, too. 20 days! Not worried about the holidays - I plan to be lookin' good next Christmas, so I can say no to the goodies this year. There was an eggnog shake recipe on one of the earlier pages. There is also a thread under December 2008 that has many recipes for shakes of all kinds - look for "Holiday Liquid and Shake Recipes." I printed it off and am buying the supplies for some of them - they really look good.

Also check the poll for our December group name (finalists). Please vote for your favorite. The poll closes on Nov 24th, and we would like to have input from all the December bandsters.

Good luck!

Good for you, Trina! And you are #1!!!! You will start off the week AND the month for us. 16 days for you, girl!

I got the call today at work and it just seems unreal! I am a whirlwind mix of excited and nervous! It seems so close now! I'm starting my pre-op diet, which is mostly Protein drinks (small dinner) on Monday!!!

Hello fellow December bandsters. I got my date today, I will be banded on the 2nd. I'll start my 10 day pre-op diet next Sat. I'll be able to have a very small thanksgiving dinner but I'm ok with that. I love to cook for others and I'll have lots of time for visiting with family. My hubby leaves for Iraq the week after my banding, I was so hoping to have it done before he leaves for his peace of mind so all is good.

Teresa

So, from catching up on the reading of the forum apparently just about everyone has a pre-op diet and a very long post-op "healing" diet. I am one of those that has no pre-op diet except for the colon cleanse on the day before. Otherwise I stick with clear liquids till the 2 day post-op and can then move to mushy foods and stay on them for like 2 wks or something. I'm trying not to look too closely at the details just yet, because I know I'll get more and more excited! I'm fairly sure that come dec. 19 I will have driven all of my family and friends crazy from talk about the band! I don't think anyone other than you all, who are also having this done can possibly understand what this means and how excited I truly am. I have 1 wk of classes, 1 wk off for thanksgiving, 2 weeks of classes, and then 2 exams and I'm done, with college, and the old fat me! I know the time is going to fly, but I really wish it'd go by faster! I feel like time is crawling!

Is anyone else having their surgery as late in the month as me or later?