Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking I Might Back Out??!!

Lisa - If I didn't know better, I swear you were talking about me. Self pay, 5'3", sedentary lifestyle.... and I've been freaking out too. I'm just over a week away from my surgery and have been all over the net reading, researching, trying to find someone or someplace that said they HATED the band, it's the worst thing ever. But I couldn't find ONE not even ONE person that regretted it or was dissatisfied in anyway. Vinesqueen (Crystal - I think) THANK YOU so much for your response. It's true that I WANT to believe that band is going to FIX ALL MY PROBLEMS...I won't have grey hair anymore, my stretch marks will magically disappear, no more zits, and there will be peace on earth. WOW that sounds great don't it. Vinesqueen - Thank you so much for actually putting everything into perspective. (Although, I am hoping to be prettier.)

Guest kittykkray

I went through what you are going through. I am also a self pay. I really have lost 50 pounds many times. I finally decided to get my band for just that reason. I do not have trouble dieting and losing weight, but it always creeps back up. This is the highest weight I have been and have found it almost impossible to lose any significant amount during the past five years. My husband has had a band for over two years and loves it. We still eat in great restaurants but now we take the doggy bag home and get at least one more meal out of the leftovers. We still order dessert but usually don't finish it. I had my band placed this past Wednesday and I am a happy camper. I am looking forward to my first fill. My doctor seems very supportive and I feel that he will work with me on making the band work. The band is a little like a dance you do with your doctor. It takes two to tango. My husband had about four adjustments before he got to the right spot. Now he says he doesn't even think about it. Hope this info helps. Email me if you have any other questions. Kitty Ray

Guest Jodi

I am your height and weight and sometimes I feel that if I could just take off 50 lbs. I would feel healthier and look better. I get really mad at myself for not just doing it. There is not one day that goes by that I don't think about myself in a negative way because of my weight. I am happy and satisfide in my life except for this problem I have had my whole life (WEIGHT). All the time you see people that are even bigger than me and have changed their eating habit and have lost the weight and look fabulous. I am now 40 yrs. old and I feel that my life is passing my by with the same problem that I can't seem to get a hold on. My first appointment for the band is Aug. 2. I am thinking of cancelling it. I just feel that if something would happen to me in the operating room or afterwards, that this would not be fair to my loving husband and my four daughters. Because this is something I could have accomplished on my own without surgery. Now, if I was extremely over weight there is no doubt that I would do this. I have no health problems. Actually, I am in excellent health other than the weight. Its just so hard to know what to do. I wish I had a crystal ball. Jodi

Guest kittykkray

I guess we will never know.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous at how fast the process was for her....I mean I went to my seminar in May, but that was after doing months of research on my own first. I've already had all my test done except psych which will be August 1st....but that isn't whats going to hold up my surgery. I had the h pylori bacteria that is known to cause ulcers. I don't have any ulcers, but the bacteria. I am on a regimin of anitbiotics for two weeks, then I have to wait 4-6 weeks to be retested to make sure the bacteria is gone before my dr, will okay me for surgery and his office will send off for insurance approval. I'm glad they found the bacteria, and prevented me from developing an ulcer. And it does make me feel really safe in my surgeon that he is so paticular. It is a bit dishearting though to feel like the carrot is always just out of reach. I did have a friend ask me this weekend why they can't go ahead and get insurance approval in the meantime, since there is only a 10% chance of not knocking out the bacteria. I think I will call and ask one of the office gals this next week, or maybe I'll just wait till after my Psych appointment and see if they can go ahead and file insurance then. I've decided this surgery will happen for me, its just a matter of when now. Being a detail, scheduled freak though that I am the unknown drives me a bit nuts. I'm not so good with going with the flow :).

Melissa

I have struggled with weight my whole life. The last time I weighed 180 was 25 years ago when my son was born. I have been on every diet known to mankind, starting with Liquid Protein in the 80's, Weight Watchers so many times I outta have a plaque with my name on it, Jenny Craig, meet with the doctor Diet, etc. For over 30 years I have been losing the 50 lbs, but the dream never comes true. I think with the band as a tool, and me being ready, I will finally be able to conquer my demons of sugar, fat, and eating when I feel like it. I found the band by accident while looking at surgical weight loss. It made more sense to me. I have been trying to get the band since May, due to slow response from doctors sending their reports to my surgeon. Finally I will be banded August 1.... am I scared Yep! Second thoughts.... everyday Yesterday I found a magnet in my drawer that said "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" Well finally I really want to find out , I don't really want to be "thin" I want to be "normal" I don't want to catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and think "how gross" I don't want my heart to wear out before it's time because of my indulgences all the time. I want to buy clothes in a regular store.

I want to stop taking five medications a day related to my obeisty. I want what I think I look like to be what I really look like! So Band, here I come, it is my choice and my chance.