Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Start with a BMI of 50+?

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and just had my first surgical consult yesterday. My Dr. was very sceptical of me having the surgery with a BMI of 49. She wants me to go the RNY route, but I just don't want to have it done for many reasons. I am kind of down and confused after the consult and was wondering if anyone out there had higher BMI success stories they could share.

Thanks!

Hello - I'm here to help and support you on getting a band!! I was over BMI 64 when I was banded in Dec/07. I'm now down 70 as of 8/26/08. I don't weigh myself I wait until I see my doctor every 6-8 weeks. My next appointment is 10/28/08 and I know I'm down atleast 20 lbs or more down from 8/26/08. I can tell you that this does work for us bigger bandsters. It's going to be much slower loss than RNY but I like that since my skin is shrinking right along with me. I know I'll need some work as far as the extra skin since I've been a very huge girl since high school. But starting at 411 at the time of banding. I'm here to say fight for your choice!! I love my band and would never turn around for not one moment!! Truth be told a lot of friends of mine who were very large and had the RNY (over 3 years) are now gaining weight back...... They wish they had something they could adjust like my band. You know your body and you know you want to lose the weight..... If you want the band I say make it clear that's what you need!!

I started out with a bmi of 61.9. My doctor never once told me I needed to go the bypass route. I am down to a BMI of 58 now and I am getting banded in November. Don't give up...high BMIers get the band all the time.

Hey! Let your dr know about your concerns and my BMI was 53 - I was banded on September 24th 2008 - yes just about a week ago - my doctor did suggest that I go on the Full liquid diet before hand which I did 9 days out from my surgery date - and I lost 17 lbs just doing that and drinking Water. I like you had looked into the other - but I am soooooooooo glad I got banded. It could be you need to see another Dr. that does not feel the same way.

I did great - I did not have any pain medication after the surgery or anything for pain while in the hosptial for 23 hours. I was like wow something is wrong here! lol But all is well - still following my full liquid diet program and go for my check up this Thursday - so I'm on a roll.

Good luck!:thumbdown:

There's a whole thread on the forum dedicated to higher BMI bandsters. You'll find a lot of support and info there.

Thanks so much everyone!!:thumbdown:

I know the Dr. was just trying to be tough with me to give me realistic expectations, but it did throw me for a loop.

I will definately check out the forum for high BMIer's.

I really did just need a pep talk!

Thanks again,

Linda

Thank you for posting this, I too was told in my first consultation (in July 08) that I need the RNY, and believed it for awhile. Since then I attended several support group sessions with RNY folks and Lap Band folks to learn more, and have come full circle to the band. I wasn't totally opposed to RNY if it truly was a better choice for me (or only choice)...but have since come around to the reasons that I decided on the band in the first place.

I appreciate hearing from the others who are already banded, I'm hoping to get a December or January surgery date.

Nancy

Nancy,

Good to hear from you. I'm am hoping for a January date also(fingers crossed), so hopefully we can keep in touch.

This site has been great.

Hello I am new to the site and I just wanted to say Hi! I was banded on September 15th just over 2 weeks ago and my Dr. had me on high Protein and low carbs 2 weeks prior to surgery and in the 2 weeks prior to and the 2 weeks after surgery I have lost 35lbs and I could not be more excited. I started with a BMI of 54 and my Dr. is totally against RNY and at no time ever did he discourage me from the band.

Good luck to you two and I hope you can find a surgeon who will do banding on you. :thumbdown: -hugs-

Hi Linda,

Just as with anything else, sometimes you just need a second opinion from another doctor. If you return and the doctor is still against your choice, I would suggest finding another surgeon in your area and getting their opinion.

Good luck and don't let one person get you discouraged or cause you to lose your momentum, ok!

Inspirations and blessings,

Nat

Edited by Nat0526

Hi, I was 66.3 when banded 07/20/07 and I am now 42.6, I have lost so far 195 pounds, I was like you, did not wanted major surgery. Now I am very happy that I went the route I wanted. I ended having mine in Tijuana MX, because doctors in USA did not wanted to operate on me.

Good luck.

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and just had my first surgical consult yesterday. My Dr. was very sceptical of me having the surgery with a BMI of 49. She wants me to go the RNY route, but I just don't want to have it done for many reasons. I am kind of down and confused after the consult and was wondering if anyone out there had higher BMI success stories they could share.

Thanks!

My surgeon specializes in WLS for the super morbidly obese. I was the smallest person he saw that day, and I need to loose nearly 200 pounds! He told me that the Gastric bypass is archaic and outdated, with too many long term negative effects and too little longterm benefit, since most start gaining the weight back. He does Gastric Banding, Lap Band and Realize both, on people over 700 pounds, some even into the 800's. He said the highest BMI he's done was about 175, and 4 years later the person is down over 400 pounds, and is still losing. If your dr doesn't want to do the surgery, find another one! There are plenty of docs across the country who will perform the surgery you are comfortable with.

I would also recomend going to the high BMI group, they can answer a lot of questions, and offer support. Somebody over there started out with a BMI of 105 I think, and is down to about 40, if memory serves.

Lindas0809.. I am starting out with a high BMI as well and like others stated my surgeon did not once try to discourage me from the band. Infact he liked to steer people in that direction. He does both procedures but he says he sees more long term good effects with the band and that the RNY is just to invasive .. I am sure there are people who make good candidates for that surgery, but I am glad I had done my research. I have been looking into both procedures for over 7 years and it just took me so long because I was nervous, but now I was banded on OCT 1st and every pound I drop off makes me smile and know I made the right decision for me. I am less then 48 hours post op and feel pretty darn good.. I cant wait to feel 100 % and be able to exercise more.. I did walk one mile tonight and will try to go a little longer tomorrow night. I just get tired really quick from the pain meds so it is hard to walk for to long, but I am also trying to slowly avoid using them.. I try to only take them before laying down so when i wake up I wont be as sore.. Anyways, good luck to you and if you have questions just ask.. this website ha been a very inspiring guide to me during this journey. I am thankful to everyone and their fantastic advice and tips..