Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating to soon after surgery ???

My Doctor (very conservative) wants me on a liquid diet (clear) for 4 weeks post-op. I was on one for 2 weeks pre-op and lost 20pds. I'm 9 days post-op and Starving !!! I'm breastfeeding a baby still and am struggling with this clear liquid diet now going on 4 weeks and suppose to be for 2 more weeks. I have started eating a few days ago, soft food, chewing very very well but am SO WORRIED I'm going stretch the pouch out or do something bad because I'm eating so soon. I have not had a fill yet (will in 3 more weeks) so once everything is down it's as if I don't have the band. Can drink/eat at the same time etc. I just don't want to be sabotoshing myself so soon. Any advice/suggestion's ??????? Thanks in advance !

I was told by my surgeon that basically after the band is on, it is filled a little bit already. She doesnt think I will need a fill, but I most likely will get one.

My surgeon had me eating yogurt without seeds, and Tomato Soup, and Protein Shakes the morning after surgery, because she needed to make sure that I could swallow and what not.

I would say, if your hungry, eat a cracker, and make it really musy, or even eat an egg. I know its hard, but remember, its a short period of time before its too late, and express to your surgeon that look, your breastfeeding, and it takes a lot of energy for you to do so. Tell him or her that your feeling lightheaded or something to express the fact that this is really hard for you. I told my surgeon it was hard for me to be on a skim milk diet for 3 weeks prior to surgery, and she told me to eat a yogurt, or a cracker when I took my pills, I did and I still lost 19 pounds. So, hang in there, and were all here to support you.

My Doctor (very conservative) wants me on a liquid diet (clear) for 4 weeks post-op. I was on one for 2 weeks pre-op and lost 20pds. I'm 9 days post-op and Starving !!! I'm breastfeeding a baby still and am struggling with this clear liquid diet now going on 4 weeks and suppose to be for 2 more weeks. I have started eating a few days ago, soft food, chewing very very well but am SO WORRIED I'm going stretch the pouch out or do something bad because I'm eating so soon. I have not had a fill yet (will in 3 more weeks) so once everything is down it's as if I don't have the band. Can drink/eat at the same time etc. I just don't want to be sabotoshing myself so soon. Any advice/suggestion's ??????? Thanks in advance !

Your Doctor has you on a clear liquid diet for that long? OMG!!! I thought 2 weeks was bad! But 4 weeks? Are you drinking Protein shakes? I would call your Dr. My plan was 1 week Clear liquids, 1 week full liquids, 2 weeks mushie easy foods and 5-6 week soft foods, I am on the easy mushie foods, altho I have cheated a couple of times lol.. But still here and didnt eat more then 6oz. My Dr. said at each meal he wants me to get 6-8oz of food. 3 x a day...And of course lots of Water.. CALL your Dr.. you are breast feeding you need more.. Good luck!

Each doctor is different, but I should say do what your doctor said to avoid problems.

That being said. . . my doctor allowed a test meal (scrambled egg) on day 8. If you can eat it and keep it down, you move on to mushies. I did it, and I am doing just fine. Around day 21 I began eating whatever I could chew to mush. I stay very careful and haven't been sick yet. When you do move on to foods, stay away from problematic foods like bread, rice, Pasta and lettuce. Once I started mushie foods, I ate scrambled eggs, refried Beans with cheddar and fat free sour cream, and I made tuna and chicken salad by putting the meat through the food processor.

Edited by crzytchr

Each doctor is different, but I should say do what your doctor said to avoid problems.

That being said. . . my doctor allowed a test meal (scrambled egg) on day 8. If you can eat it and keep it down, you move on to mushies. I did it, and I am doing just fine. Around day 21 I began eating whatever I could chew to mush. I stay very careful and haven't been sick yet. When you do move on to foods, stay away from problematic foods like bread, rice, Pasta and lettuce. Once I started mushie foods, I ate scrambled eggs, refried Beans with cheddar and fat free sour cream, and I made tuna and chicken salad by putting the meat through the food processor.

What makes bread and rice, Pasta and lettuce problem foods. Please explain.

Thanks

Are you exclusively breastfeeding? I've not been banded but know you shouldn't diet while breastfeeding. If the baby is receiving most of his/her nutrition in another way, I'm sure it's fine though.

There is NO way I could stay on Clear Liquids that long! Good luck!

~~anne

I had posted on another place that I thought my doctor was the strictest in the world until I read your post. My clear liquid diet is for 2 weeks - then the full liquid. But you need to discuss your breastfeeding with your doctor because you need 500 extra calories a day for breastfeeding. You don't want to jeopardize your baby's health.

Does he know you are breastfeeding? Maybe he would at least allow you Protein Shakes, neither you nor the baby is getting enough nutrition on clear liquids, I'd call him and discuss it with him. If he insists you stay on clear liquids the baby will need formula until you are able to eat again. Think about yourself also, if you aren't taking in enough Calcium your bodies leeches it from your bones to make breast milk and every bit of protein/nutrition you are taking in will be going to the milk.

bread, rice, Pasta, and lettuce are problematic for many people and tend to stick. You don't want that. I can eat whole wheat Pasta, and whole wheat toast. I have not tried lettuce or rice at all. My friend gets sick any time she eats rice or bread.

Another reason to not eat them is since we take in less amounts of food, we should eat more nutritious foods. That gets rid of the starches, and lettuce takes up space, but doesn't have enough calories to help.

I would contact the doctor and explain that you need more nutrition. If he insists on you staying on liquids, definitely try to increase your liquid Protein drinks. I HATE them, but you may try the chocolate banana vivannos from starbucks. They are pretty good. Also, drinking skim milk can get your calorie count up and help you get more nutrition in.

If you decide to move on to foods anyway, then be careful. I was fine, but I did follow the eating guidelines established during my first 4 weeks regarding the soft foods (used the processor for all meats).

Also, I didn't make it clear in my earlier post. From day 8 on, I ate mushies like I listed in the post. Mostly the refried Beans and chicken and tuna salad.

Edited by crzytchr