Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post-op: my experience

It's Day 4 [banding was Tuesday] and I'm back working on my laptop [in comfy sweats]. Very little gas pains, almost no pain from the incisions and, best of all, the nausea is GONE! Never had a problem drinking or sipping but I am starving. Dr said I could add the Optifast drinks to help with the growling stomach and it does help. So after all of the vomitting and dry heaving, the world is right again. Now if I could just have a latte!

I was in the recovery room for 6 1/2 hours because my surgeon wants all his patients on the 4th floor which is the surgical (most orthopaedic) floor and there wasn't a room available. I got up to walk the first day and my daughter pointed out that I was the only one ambulatory. Ha Ha. But the nurses were all nice. Once they removed the cathether and I had trouble urinating I was getting up myself every 15 minutes and unplugging the IV and going to the bathroom myself. They had to straight cath me a couple of times. I called it like syphoning gas out of the tank.:bolt: But anything else I asked for I got. I got my painful IV changed to a new location - pain free. The old site is now a big bruise and several shades of purple and yellow. I took my last pain meds 11 PM the night of the surgery and didn't need any after that. My chronic back pain is worse than this surgical pain. I am hoping weight loss will improve that. Since my doctor is going to California I have to wait 2 weeks to see him and be on these Clear Liquids only until then. Not fair!

hey all do they usally put saline in the band when u get it?sry about the person first post where the hospital was so mean to you.kinda weird couldnt have ice exc... i havent gotten banded yet but hope mine doesnt go that way.seems u should have been treated better.well if anyone can answer my question thanks

Hi,

I just had my sugery on Wed. 9/24. I was allowed to come home this afternoon. I'm in terrible pain and had a difficult experience at the hospital. First of all, I sat in recovery for 3 hours because they didn't have a room available. Recovery was very loud and uncomfortable. When I got to my room I asked for something for my cotton mouth, an ice chip, Water...and they said "no" I was not allowed to brush my teeth or nothing. I sat from 10:00 a.m. yesterday until 10:00 today post op. without so much as a sip of Water. Is this something others have experienced.

Then to top it all off I find out later that during surgery they found a hernia and had extra work to fix it.

My doctor was nice, but very strict. The night nurse was rude and when I asked for help to get to the bathroom she would come and disconnect the compression socks and just leave me by myself. I have 2 incisions and 4 small cuts. They are very painful.

I'm hoping all of this is worth it. I feel I have been though hell the last few days. I too have gas in my shoulder and it's rather painful.

Any words of encouragement? I'm only allowed broth, water, diet snapple, crystal lite, etc for the next 2 weeks. My stomach is growling today.

I am a nurse and i would like to apoligize for how u were treated. Congrats on your surgery. keep your head up!

Banded on 09/24. In retrospective - I had a pretty nice day on 25th, was able to drink all I wanted, even a vitaminized shake. It all changed on the third day:

Yesterday, the third day after surgery I was able to push down only 300ml (a glass) or Water (stomach was swollen shut most part of the day). Today, over the whole day of efforts I pushed and retained only about 500ml.

My surgeon told me over the phone it will get easier, as long as the stomach is not shut completely - the swelling will be gone and it will re-open, but I am already dehydrated and not feeling well.

I did not have anything to eat over this last two days, but this seems to be so unimportant - I am only thirsty. I did not have my medications either since nothing comes in.

If I cannot drink and hold Water tomorrow morning I am going to the ER.

Guess the doctor wanted to pump too much liquid in during the surgery... Why? What's the hurry? Give me a chance to recover from the surgery before re-enforcing the band.

Best wishes to all of us,

-am

Hi AnatolyM, I'm glad you're feeling better. I guess all surgeons are different. Mine doesn't do any type of a fill until about a month out. As others have said, healing is generally the first priority during the first 4 to 6 weeks. My surgery was the day before yours. I had a miserable time vomitting for about the first 24 hrs but have recovered very well since. I actually started back on the treadmill on Friday [Day3] albeit very slowly, back to the treadmill Saturday and then the mall and this morning I've been to the gym and fly to Chicago this evening. I've got my fingers crossed [and my toes and my eyes!] that the worst is over! Good luck and keep us posted! :teeth_smile: