Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post-op: my experience

I had my surgery on Monday, the 22nd. There was more pain than I had anticipated. Especially where the port is. I thought the port was down by your abdomen. Mine is under my right breast. I had to stay an extra day in the hosptial because I had trouble urinating when they took the catheter out. My last pain meds were 11 PM Monday night because earlier that night I had dry heaves - not pleasant.:smile2: So I decided no more pain meds because they also can affect ability to urinate. But I don't really need them. I took some liquid tylenol at home yesterday. I also have pain in my left shoulder. It's better today. I am on the clear liquid only phase until I see my doctor on Oct. 7th. The next phase is liquids only but they don't have to be clear. I am troubled by the posts about Hair loss. My surgeon told me that isn't usually a problem with banded patients. Apparently he's wrong.:bored: I'm not hungry but I am trying to drink as much as they say. Stay hydrated!! Any suggested from the veterans about anything?:sad:

hi just take it slow,give your body time to heal sorry about your pain,wishing you a speedy recovery.take care.

I hope your recovery gets easier for you and sorry for your side effects. I had my surgery on Tuesday so we are only one day apart but I have been very lucky. Like I said before, I hope it gets easier for you and you lose all the weight you are expecting to.

Oh I forgot, my nutritionist has me drinking from a 1 oz cup and said to drink 1 oz. every 5 minutes so you do not get too much at one time, but are constantly hydrating yourself. Maybe that would be something you could try.

Hi,

I just had my sugery on Wed. 9/24. I was allowed to come home this afternoon. I'm in terrible pain and had a difficult experience at the hospital. First of all, I sat in recovery for 3 hours because they didn't have a room available. Recovery was very loud and uncomfortable. When I got to my room I asked for something for my cotton mouth, an ice chip, Water...and they said "no" I was not allowed to brush my teeth or nothing. I sat from 10:00 a.m. yesterday until 10:00 today post op. without so much as a sip of Water. Is this something others have experienced.

Then to top it all off I find out later that during surgery they found a hernia and had extra work to fix it.

My doctor was nice, but very strict. The night nurse was rude and when I asked for help to get to the bathroom she would come and disconnect the compression socks and just leave me by myself. I have 2 incisions and 4 small cuts. They are very painful.

I'm hoping all of this is worth it. I feel I have been though hell the last few days. I too have gas in my shoulder and it's rather painful.

Any words of encouragement? I'm only allowed broth, water, diet snapple, crystal lite, etc for the next 2 weeks. My stomach is growling today.

I was banded on Sept. 4th. I too had very bad port pain. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. My pain lasted for over 2 weeks. I had a burning sensation close to my belly button that really bothered me, besides my port. My doctor assured me that it was all normal and I was healing OK.

I am 3 wk. post op today and I will say my pain is much better. I am not "normal" yet, but much, much better. I still have some pain, but not near as bad.

I didn't expect to hurt as much as I did. I actually hurt more about 6 or 7 days out than I did at the beginning, probably b/c I was trying to do too much.

Anyway ... hang in there, it will get better.

I had mine done on the 22nd. Im achy at the port site.

My biggest thing is shoulder/back pain. Gas X and aleve has really helped me.

As of now Im goin through the mental part. Was this the right decision..blah blah blah.

I have to say I have stayed FULL. I have to make myself eat when its time. My scale is all screwy. Depends where at on the floor I weigh...but I started out at 317...today it read....lowest...300.1.....Or....303.9. LOL So a range from there.

Oh I understand about the lack urinating for sure lol, I was so terrified and could'nt go, they put a catheter in - yay. Finally once they took it back out I could go - this with my husband cheering me on while I was on the john and the Water was running - oh god!

I drank what I could when I could after surgery, I slept a lot, watched tv from my bed and basically just took care of myself the best I could.

I have had some hair loss issues from my last good fill that really gave me restriction, but I upped my Protein and things are improving.

Good luck and welcome to the banded world )

Hi Cleo's Mom, I'm a day behind you...I was banded on Tuesday. I also did not anticipate this amount of discomfort. I had a hard time with the anesthesia and nausea and the vomiting. I think I had more pain from the vomiting than the incisions! My port is right smack in the middle, between my breasts! I was expecting it to be on the side. Very interesting. I'm on the Clear Liquids diet as well and I am starving. Is anyone else on Lovenox injections? I didn't expect those either. Well...at least today I feel better...starving but better!

Hello all,

I had my surgery on the 23 and I am doing ok today. Still very soar but I guess I would describe it more as discomfort than pain. I am also having the gas pains in my back and shoulder. I have been walking around the house and out in the yard and that really seems to help the gas move. I couldn't seem to get to sleep last night because I couldn't get comfortable lying in the bed. Slept on the sofa most of the day propped on pillows and rested pretty good. My mom gave me this abdominal band or wrap like thing. I wrap it around me when I am walking. It gives me support to my midsection and holds things in place which helps with the discomfort. Hang in there. We must remember our ultimate goal.

be patient; it took me a good month to feel totally back to myself. I remember going for a walk two days after surger; I felt like a very old lady. Once you start eating mushy food, you'll feel so much better.

I too was banded on Sept 22nd. The first three days were the hardest but not unbearable. Today I have only had a slight pain on my left side. Not sure what it is because I took a gas X and that didn't seem to touch it. I have eaten very little and not trying to push it. I am able to drink liquids pretty well. I haven't had any problems with that. I've been taking my pain meds every 4 hours but will start weaning myself off of them tomorrow. Other than that I don't feel like I have a band. I hope this continues.

Wishing you all the best on your band journey.

Oddly enough day 1 and 2 wasn't that bad, probably still high on pain meds. LOL Day 3-8 were challenging due to port pain, sore/swollen stomach, horrible gas, unable to sleep comfortably which added to my aggravation.

I'm 10 days post op and I'm feeling almost back to normal. I'm back in school, working full time and most importantly---sleeping COMFY.

I was banded on Sep 24, and the first day and the day after were not too comfortable yet they were ok.

Today is the third day and I cannot push down even a sip of Water. Nothing - since the time I woke up. I called my doctor he said it happens sometimes if the stomach gets irritated and swollen and suggested to wait 4-5 hours and only then try to get a sip of Water again.

If swelling does not go away, he is going to remove some saline.

Sigh... I thought that the first day would be the most difficult one.

-am