Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many fills or did you not need one at all?

How may fills 'till your sweet spot?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How may fills 'till your sweet spot?

• No Fill needed
    • 1-2 Fills
    • 2-3 Fills
    • 4-5 Fills
    • 6-7 Fills
    • 8-9 Fills
    • 10+
    • Other (please explain)
    • Still working on getting there

I am curious.. I see some people don’t even need a fill to get restriction. Others need several. Did you need a fill? How many have you had? Are you at your sweet spot or still trying to get there?

Another question.. If you have restriction without any fill what happens when/if you get pregnant. I thought the procedure was to remove fill so you can eat with greater ease during pregnancy. If you don’t have a fill will your lapband become detrimental to your pregnancy?

Edited by Minxz

I think you may be misinterpreting things. In all my time on this board - 3 years plus - I've only known of a couple of people who lost all their weight without any fill.

PLENTY of people have great restriction for a period of weeks or months after their surgery though. I know I did. That's because of post op swelling and healing up, it can take quite a while for your stomach to return to normal and for you to need a fill. I lost absolutely tons of weight in that time, it simply fell off. But eventually I healed up and I turned out to be one that needed a lot of fill because even at 2.8ml in a 4ml band I can eat an entire sandwich.

Lots of people get great restriction on very little fill though, some people are just more sensitive to it than others.

As for pregnancy, well many people find they get tight with their monthly cycles, with stress etc and pregnancy most definitely can affect your body in the same way. With my third pregnancy, it was exactly like being banded (only it worked better for me than a band does) because my daughter was breech and high up and I could barely eat more than a mouthful at a time if I wanted to keep it down. Lost a lot of weight during that one! I also had wretched reflux the whole time and couldnt bend over without throwing up - and I've never had heartburn or reflux in my life at any other time.

You really wont be able to tell until you are pregnant how it will be. But I've not heard of any emergency band removals due to pregnancy - you can get a lot of nutrition and calories in on liquids if you have to!

Anyway, people WAY overestimate what eating for two means. Your baby needs nutrition, not calories. You dont need to eat loads more as long as you're eating nutritiously. You dont need any extra at all for most of the pregnancy and then about 2 to 300 calories extra during the third trimester.

Jachut Thank you for explaining about the fills. I had seen several people talking about restriction with no fills and did not realize that would most likely change as the stomach heals.

I need help with a fill question also. Okay, I got a small fill last week before going to NY - I threw up several times because food got stuck but then yesterday was able to eat too much - had two Protein Shakes today and I feel like I can eat anything at all - why is it that sometimes you feel very tight and can't swallow and other times you can eat anything - it is frustrating because you never know if you need a fill or not at this rate. Thanks.

Dont know, its very frustrating isnt it?

I was at 3.1 in my 4cc band. It was great, I was losing that last little bit of weight. Then about eight weeks later, it was period time and I had a plane flight too and I could barely eat a thing. Everything hurt a bit and although there were no pb's or incidents, it really stood out to everyone I was away with that I wasnt eating. It continued after I came home, and I lost no weight either, because I was starting to eat crap just to get food down.

So I had .2 ml taken out and instant relief. Trouble is now, eight or nine weeks later I am having to work so HARD to maintain my weight. I stay level if I actively "diet" but if I just eat according to appetite (healthy foods) I gain about 5lb which I have to then lose again. I'm up down and all over the darn shop and its beginning to give me the irrits.

So I think I'll get half of that .2 back in again and just see if it helps. There's no doubt about it it, even three years down the track, retrained to eat better foods, with a much healthier outlook on food and running daily, I *still* need that help from my band. I dont eat a lot of junk but my body sure doesnt need 2000 calories or more (like the charts say it does) to maintain my weight. And my natural appetite directs me to eat that much, I need my band to keep it down at 1500 or so.

This band really is a miracle.

I've only been able to have one fill. I had 2 cc's in August (the 13th). I've had episodes of vomiting and the doctor advised me against another fill which should have been done by the end of August. Here it is October, and I still have not had another fill. I just can't see it happening. I feel so much restriction with what I already have. Plus, I'm 100% more disciplined than I've ever been in my whole dieting life! So, maybe this tool, with very little "lubricating" is all that I need!

Hi

I am almost 11 months out and have not had a fill as of yet. I feel I have been doing good weight loss wise so im not really pushing to get one yet. Maybe my weight loss would be greater if I did get a fill but right now im happy with the pace that I am on so I will wait until I really need it. I can only assume what I feel at times is restriction. I probably eat more then the "normal" bandster but I sure as hell eat a lot less then I did 11 months ago!!