Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else Overly Emotional???

Oh my goodness. I was pretty emotional before my surgery while I was on the pre-op diet, but was hoping that would go away after my surgery. I'm not crabby now.... I just seem to cry so easily. I come from a crybaby family anyway, but.... now... OMG! After I cry, I think how goofy it was, but..... Anyone else experiencing this??? Will it pass or will I just be a much healthier crier?? :confused:

I don't kno since I've lost some weight my periods are all over the place and and I'm so manic depressive...ups and downs are terrible I hope it gets better.

Thank you for your reply. Maybe we could send each other tissues. I feel lucky that I don't have periods anymore - I'm sure I would be an emotional mess. Our bodies will get used to the changes and we will be back to our sweet selves soon. Good luck to you!!! Keep me posted on how you are doing. Becky

wow .. im sorry to hear .. i cried giving blood at my pre op lol .. i made the nurse feel bad lol ..o well .. what are you cryin about ? lets talk.. im in west texas .. im sure you will get better soon , take care

Oh my goodness. I was pretty emotional before my surgery while I was on the pre-op diet, but was hoping that would go away after my surgery. I'm not crabby now.... I just seem to cry so easily. I come from a crybaby family anyway, but.... now... OMG! After I cry, I think how goofy it was, but..... Anyone else experiencing this??? Will it pass or will I just be a much healthier crier?? :smile:

I started crying during my pre-op diet. I feel so goofy saying this, but I cried looking at Deal or No Deal, when the lady lost her money. I have noticed that the slightest thing sets me off. I can only imagine how bad I am going to be in the next few weeks. I can only hope that we all get over it soon (my family hopes so too, lol). :confused:

I'm surprised that more dr's are not talking about the emotional changes we can go through post op. I read about it before the emotional roller coaster actually happened to me. You can ask your dr but I read that the raw emotions can be attributed to the fact that we are actually experiencing emotions vs. using food to stuff them. Whether we're happy, sad or fustrated we know that we can / shouldn't use food so the other stuff begins to "bubble up". Maybe you can visit your dr's support group to talk to others who may be experieincing the same thing) or you can always journal that helps a lot with your thoughts and feelings. I hope this helps. All the best to you.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I think what you are going through is completely normal. Your body is going through some drastic changes. You are eating completely different than what your body is used to. How many calories were you eating before? 2500-3000. I was easily consuming 3000 - then bam - it was cut to 800-1000 (liquids/mushies). That is a HUGE change. I think we kind of go into "shock"...our mind has to play catch up - your metabolism changes - energy level changes...you are losing a lot of weight pretty quickly.

I was a wreck emotionally the first two months. I was happy, I was sad, I was crabby, I was estatic over nothing. Eventually I think my mind caught up with my body and it got better. I'll tell you it does get better. The crying will stop, the emotional roller coaster slows down a bit. Once your weight really starts dropping you may have a mental battle with - "I used to be this big" and "I'm now down 40-50 pounds"...You get used to be a certain way and the change can be overwhelming. It takes some adjustment.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. This too shall pass! ((hugs))

Wow!!! I'm feeling better already. How nice of you all to respond, and it feels good to know I'm not the only one. I'm sure it is true that I used to use food to help me deal with life's ups and downs. And our bodies ARE going through lots of changes. I cried like a baby when I got off the plane and saw my granddaughter after my surgery. Being in Houston for my surgery when Hurrican Ike struck was very emotional, and our 4 day trip that turned into a 2 week journey took a lot out of me too. Thank you guys so much for making me feel like I'm not a freak. Because lapband surgery is not done here in Albuquerque, there are no support groups. But I've got you all - you ARE my support group. Thanks again. Becky

I was the same way..I cried for weeks after my surgery..I thought I was going crazy..I agree with everyone else...it is a trauma and such a change that our body goes through.. hang in there....There are people out here going through the same thing and you are not alone. The emotional roller coaster goes on indefinately...You can do it...the toughest part is over...now you are healing and getting healthy...YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I am not emotional in the crying sense, what I am is crabby. I have been just down right nasty to my husband. I don't know why but for the last 2 days he can just walk in the room and I am mad! Poor guy! I feel bad for him but I swear I just can't help it! I am not that way with my kids just him! What he is wanting to know is how much longer will I be this way! I want to know too! Any ideas!

Is this normal? I am the same way...I am just hateful to others and my patience feels like it is GONE!! I thought I was alone, but obviously others are experiencing the same...The crying is bad enough, but the uncontrollable anger is hard..You know that person hasn't done anything, yet you are ready to just lash out..Thanks for letting me know I am not alone...

7 months???????????? YIKES. We might all have to get together and live in a commune... cause nobody else will wanna live with us. I am not crabby.... just crying. I'm sure it is because we know longer have our coping friend...(food). These are the times we would eat, and now we don't. We just let it all out. I'm sure in time, we will learn to cope without food.... at least I hope so. 7 months????? :)Becky

Oh my goodness. I was pretty emotional before my surgery while I was on the pre-op diet, but was hoping that would go away after my surgery. I'm not crabby now.... I just seem to cry so easily. I come from a crybaby family anyway, but.... now... OMG! After I cry, I think how goofy it was, but..... Anyone else experiencing this??? Will it pass or will I just be a much healthier crier?? :thumbup:

Hi,

I went threw the same thing. Since I did mine in Mexico I did not realy understand any of the pre op or post op information. BUT one thing I did not understand was my incredible depression after. It was not till about a month later I relized that OMG I have just lost the one thing I have had all of my life, My relationship to food. It was the one thing all of my life that was always there for me, In good time and in Bad, I always had my best friend food and now it was gone. As soon as I relized this the depression was gone.

If we have gotten to a point where we have had the surgery then it was way out of controll. No one tells us about the seperation issues we would have with our one great love....FOOD

I was a cranky cry baby. I didn't know what the heck I had gotten myself into. but now, I think my frustrations were due to not be able to eat what I want and how much I wanted. I had a difficult time while I was on the pre-op diet and then two weeks of liquids and two weeks of mooshies after surgery. I felt deprived from the temporary comfort I received from food. I am getting used to the idea now, after six months, but I still want to go back to old habits and eat the wrong foods and eat way too fast; and that is when I get extremely frustrated and cranky. Just hang in there and it does get better, however you will have your day too.