Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

which band to get relize band?pr the other?

I saw this on another post, which gives a comparison of the Lap Band and Realize Band. :thumbup:

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

My doc gave me an option because he said both were good. However, he said, he slightly prefers the Realize (which I go) because it was softer and the saline chamber went around the entire circle.

one more thing i got alot to lose so which does everyone think would help me more which band? i just cant make up my mind

I struggled with this as well. I have not been banded yet. I looked at both and I felt one was better than the other. I also asked in terms of surgery which one would be be more efficient. (how long would I be on the table, in the open air, how efficient was the suturing vs, the staples, etc..) That made a difference for me knowing that. You should ask your Dr. those kinds of questions. Also I am in the appeal process. I am getting help from one of the manufacturers with paying for legal fees, so whoever helps me, I am going to get that band. I understand that both bands will eventually have support websites.

I am not saying which one I chose or will choose because I really think it is a decision you and your Dr. should make together.

BTW there is a whole section devoted to this. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/

Edited by MiniBand
to add link

Nazzy, if you have the opportunity, ask your surgeon if (s)he has the bands for you to compare side by side. From the info I had found online, I was leaning toward one brand, but being able to compare them sealed the deal for me. But, just like MiniBand said, what's important to me, may not be important to you. My surgeon has done hundreds (700 - 900, I forget the total now), and he sees no appreciable difference in the weight loss between the bands in his practice and in the published literature. If your doctor sees similar results, then you need to make your decision on other factors.

Good luck on your decision. Get the facts from your surgeon, and then go with your "gut".

I spent time with the nurse this morning and she let us touch and play with the Realize Band and the Lap Band and she stated the difference is the Realize Band comes with a 2-cc fill, so you have your first fill at surgery. The Lap Band does not have a fill, because the manufacture recommends the first fill occur 6-weeks after surgery. Just thought I would share what I learned today.

I have the realize band. (sept 10th) I do not have a fill and will not have one until at least 8 weeks. My dr. told me this up front.

Every doctor and clinic is different. There are so many different messages. Good luck with your journey. I cannot wait to get banded.

which band uses staples?i know i had knee surgery last year and i hate the marks the staples left after.if anyone knows plz lmk thanks

nazzy, staples, glue, steri strips, stitches, are all ways doctor's close incisions. Mine used glue for the outside. I'm pretty sure, like 99.5% sure, that the type of closure used is dependent on what the doctor prefers and your needs and not the brand of band.

You might be getting confused with the the way the port is attached inside. The Realize port has metal "hooks" that keep the port attached, although, I think the doctor can suture it, if (s)he prefers. The Lap Band, unless there's a new attachment technique, is sutured.

When I suggested you research the bands, the port attachment was one tipping point for me. Not the only one, but it was important to me.

well 1 week to go and i still havent decided,lap band or realize.maybe ill flip a coin lol

I went with the Realize...my dr said both are good but he liked the way the port was situated with the Realize. Either way, the damn port incision is killing me@!!

I also had a choice to go with the realize band or the lap band. After doing some research I chose to go with the lap band. If you look at the realize band and then look back at the lap band when it first came out, it is the same. Lap band has came out with different bands over the years, making improvements. The realize band is the same as the first lap band. I liked the fact that the Lap Band Ap has the "pillows" so it won't crease like the realize band when inflated. The Lap Band AP also comes with a low profile port now, which is what I liked about the realize band but ended up getting with my Lap Band. My doctor uses both, and did not recommend one over the other. In the end it has to be your choice cause it is your body.

me to i got the band afterf all was said and done mi got home today,spent the night.glad i did he fixed a samll hernia i had so he wanted me to spend the night,taking my pain meds i have 5 small cuts ,thats it he glued it all to,happy to be home good luck u all,gonna be hard usuallysugar free stuff foir 2 weeks,doing pretty good hurts when i bend tho