Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Worried (Dr. Lopez)

Lisa, we were talking about Lopez in the begining of the thread, since she'd used Lopez and had felt stressed out wondering if she'd made a mistake.

She then felt that it wasn't fair that some docs were getting slammed, when it seemed that others got free ride to post all sorts of adverts. She also felt that some of the moderators here worked for particular docs, as is the case on other boards. After talking with Penni, she worked out that that is not the case.

I pointed out that our experience colors our experiences, and then changed the subject to Pleatman, since I found the thread she was taking about. Christina thought she was taking some heat, which she wasn't, Dr. Pleatman wasn't taking any heat.

So to recap, it was Lopez, Prettyone talked to Penni and got the real dope, and appologized. The thread got changed to Pleatman, where we stand now.

On tomorrow's episode, we shall find out if Hope and Luke will ever get back together again after Luke's bout with brain worms and dealing with Hope's Alien Abduction.

On tomorrow's episode, we shall find out if Hope and Luke will ever get back together again after Luke's bout with brain worms and dealing with Hope's Alien Abduction.

ROTFLOL!!!

To Vinesqueen & Alexandra:

Thank you for noticing that I was actually asking for opinions!

V, wasn't it Luke & Laura?

Lisa, we were talking about Lopez in the begining of the thread, since she'd used Lopez and had felt stressed out wondering if she'd made a mistake.

She then felt that it wasn't fair that some docs were getting slammed, when it seemed that others got free ride to post all sorts of adverts. She also felt that some of the moderators here worked for particular docs, as is the case on other boards. After talking with Penni, she worked out that that is not the case.

I pointed out that our experience colors our experiences, and then changed the subject to Pleatman, since I found the thread she was taking about. Christina thought she was taking some heat, which she wasn't, Dr. Pleatman wasn't taking any heat.

So to recap, it was Lopez, Prettyone talked to Penni and got the real dope, and appologized. The thread got changed to Pleatman, where we stand now.

LOL LOL LOL - Just to recap again- I never felt the fires blaze my way but am always in defense of forest fires that may burn out of control. LOL The girlscout in me came out to stand up & take responsiblity & honor my GS Oath- LOL LOL ( On my honor I will try to serve God & his country with liberty & justice for all :) Who would have thought I could have remembered that. :0) So anyway I thought I would say how it really happened & why Dr.P actually posted to begin with. I sure hope we welcome him.

By the way my scale STILL won't move- this is so much harder than I thought. Its been forever! I feel it only fair for all my work that next week awhole 20 pds drops off in one day & stays off forever!!!

Like sands thru the hourglass - so are the days of our lives...

Now, can we let this post die, please? I think it has outlived it's usefulness...

:]

Thank you for asking.

I am very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Lopez. I know that this site seems to be very anti Dr. Lopez. But I have been checked out and I have also been in contact with many other clients of his, and we are all quite happy.

I get the feeling that because a few on this board are extremely verbal about their experiences, that many people are being turned off to the possibility of checking into him as a viable choice.

I hurt for those ladies, but I still can't get around the fact that on this board alone, sooooo many seem to put down just him, and no one others. I have been reading the threads, and those who speak up with some kind of logical thinking are put down for speaking up.

This really does look like a board run by people with an alteriar motive.

I even notice that some doctors are purposefully give threads of advertisement.

prettyone

Hi PrettyOne -

I am so glad everything is going well. I am sorry that you feel this board is anti-Lopez - it is NOT, but there HAVE been a number of people who are members of this board who have had some less than desireable outcomes. It is unfortunate that those who have positive outcomes feel as though they cannot share their experiences (USUALLY it's the other way around!!), but it is SO RARE to find a board that allows people to actually relate their less than positive outcomes, and actually let those posts REMAIN, that it may feel as though positive posts are not welcome.

Nothing could be further from the truth. We ALL care deeply about every banded patient, and we ALL want everyone to have the absolute best outcome, regardless of who they choose for their surgeon, and how their own outcome may have progressed.

I think we all realize that every doctor has their less than successful cases, and ALL doctors are human - eventually there is going to be a mistake made. No one should be made to feel defensive about their choice of doctor, OR the posting of their outcomes, good or bad.

When I was doing my research I asked for people's experiences with the doctor I was considering. I was on the biggest boards, with the most people. I did not get a single negative comment, and lots of raves. I read lots of posts from people who said what a great surgeon my doc was, how they had actually WATCHED him perform surgery, and how impressed they were.

I went with my doctor. BUT - I KNEW that at worst, the people giving me advice (everyone's a stranger, so I have to use my best judgment when evaluating their advice) had something to gain by promoting my doctor, and at best were giving their own personal experience. I'm a relatively intelligent woman, but frankly, I could watch a butcher perform surgery and not know if he were doing a good job or not - so I could only surmise that MOST people would not be able to make any kind of value judgment on the quality of a surgeon, unless they were a surgeon themselves, and actually worked side-by-side with the surgeon they were evaluating. So if nothing else, these people had surgery with the doc and survived.

When I was diagnosed with erosion I considered myself to be a fluke, a part of the 3% erosion cases, the fruition of an unlikely risk that I accepted when I was banded.

Prior to losing my band I personally knew of one other Lopez patient who had to have her band removed due to erosion. SINCE I have had my band removed, I personally know of two more who have lost their bands, and there are several other people on this board that I do NOT know personally who have also lost their bands who were Lopez patients.

Certainly there are WAAAY more Lopez patients that have had postive outcomes than there are who haven't. Because the gathering of factual information from all patients, regardless of surgeon, seems virtually impossible, no one can scientifically speculate on any one surgeon's complication rate. It is certainly possible that it is mere coincidence that a number of people on this board have had negative outcomes - to make accurrate statements one would have to know the sample base size, and a lot of other information that generates reliable statistics.

I can NOT in good conscience recommend or advise against any particular surgeon - I can only relate my own personal experiences and my own personal knowledge, and point people to places where they can gather their own information and make their own decision. I send those people HERE, because this is the ONE board I personally know of that is NOT run by a doctor, or a particular doctor's advocates, and I know that EVERYONE is allowed to post their experiences - good or bad.

If you want to post something good about Lopez, make your own post about your good experience. Just don't confuse your good posting as doing "battle" with those who have posted negative experiences. Your GOOD experience does not negate the negative experiences, and the negative experiences do NOT negate the positive experiences. There is no right or wrong - just our own personal stories.

I always hate to hear anyone say they're leaving the board - I hope you don't, because there are wonderful people here with lots of good info. Yes, there are some very emotional posts, but we are emotional people.

Wishing everyone continued success -

Barb, I second everything you said! In fact I started my own reply and reread yours - I agree with you 100% - especially the credibility statement. I visit other sites, but this is the one site I've come to rely on the get the facts and like you said the "good, bad or ugly". My surgery was 6/7/05 and I'm very pleased and happy with my band even though I've switched doctors for my fills. The switch had nothing to do with my surgeon's skills - the fill scheduling was a nightmare - so, I fixed it by finding another doctor - no big deal:rolleyes:

I go for my first fill on the 26th. Does it hurt. My doctor put my port in the middle of my tummy. Alot of the put them on your side. Is this a good thing.Tell me what to expect, please....Joyce

happyjoy, i had my 1st fill last wk. my dr didnt put anything on the area just stuck tyhe needle in & did the fill it felt like a shot. it didnt hurt like crying hurt but i felt it . it was really quick . good luck . sandie

Guest jnce678

does anyone know of a dr in maine that will do fills when the surgery was done in mexico,i cant find anyone that will do them,any suggestions?