Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Like I'm being scammed. Does this sound right???

I'm set up for my surgery this Oct 8th. As far as I knew everything was good to go. When I had my initial visit with my surgeon Dr.Daly in Atlanta, GA he told me about a "program" he had. The customer pays a set fee of 2,000 which covers all post-op visits in his office. This would include all the fills your little heart desires for one whole year along with a membership to his support group. I told him I wasn't interested 1) because i'm never home so I wouldn't be able to attend his support group and 2) I'm a federal employee and have my own medical fund I can dip into for my fills as I see fit. I know for a fact it won't cost me 2K for the amount of fills I'll need. Tops I'm thinking 1K. So I spoke with his receptionist today and she told me that I'd need to bring my 2K friday when I come in to talk to the surgeon before my surgery. I told her that I wasn't interested and told the surgeon that. She started freaking out and said that she'd have to talk to him about it because for as long as she worked with him she has never had someone decline it. I told her that it shouldn't effect me having surgery one way or another. My insurance will actually cover a few fills and my post op visit and I just wasn't interested. Does this sound right to anyone. I feel like I'm being screwed over. The surgeon was very pushy at the time when I first met him and he just wouldn't take no for an answer. But he told me it was optional. What the heck?????? someone help me. :smile:

That doesn't sound right to me at all. I am a self pay patient and my fills have only added up to $750 for this first year. I would definitely not do that. You might want to consider finding a different surgeon.

I don't think that sounds right. You should be able to do what you need to do. I wouldn't pay that Dr. anything further, until you discuss it directly with him. When you start feeling unnecessary pressure like that, there's something wrong.

I once had a Dr. tell me that he was going to put me on Phentermine, and that my "insurance won't cover it", so he'd charge me $60/office visit (instead of the $20 co-pay w/ BCBS), and that he would supply me with the Rx instead of Walgreens, because Caremark wouldn't cover it either. Needless to say, I never went back to see that Dr., and proceeded to look into getting the lap-band surgery. I have now had 4 fills, and am losing 2+ pounds per week. I have never felt pressured, one way or the other, from my surgeon, or anyone in the office. I was charged a flat fee, and I have not been asked to pay any more.

Best of luck to you!

-Sarah H.

That sounds like a load of bull, seeing as your ins. pays for much of what is included in that $2000 fee. I would tell him no way.

If he offers some "program" for his patients, good luck to him. Your paying him for the surgery, final. I've heard of surgeons doing this and when they contract their rate with a particular insurance group, they agree not to charge the patient additional out of pocket, outside of the normal deductables or coinsurances. THe first year, most people do NOT need $2,000 of fills! Come on! The support classes may be beneficial, but NOT for that price. That racketeering! WHat is this doctors name? I'd post it all over the place and send him a copy of the posting! What a flake.

Thanks for the information. I feel like you're completely right. His Name is Dr.Daly and he's one of the pushiest people I've ever met. He actually thought he was talking to a dumby when he tried to explain his fees. I told him that I know all about money especially since I'm the one with an M.B.A. It didn't feel right but I kinda blew it off. I'm super upset because I "thought" i was all set for my surgery. I really wanted it done on Oct 8th and now I know that'll probably never happen. What a jerk!!!

Anyone else feel like they were scammed by Dr. Dalyand his "program fees"? Anyone used his services? Are they worth the extra $2K?

I am a federal employee also. I just had a lap band put on by DrTitus Duncan in Atlanta. You might want to check w/his office. Peachtree Bariactrics. I have never heard of this fee. My insurance paid for the surgery and includes fills for 90 days. Who is your insurance with.

one more thing - support groups are usually free!!!! They are in my area any way (Pacific Northwest). I have two different groups that I go to and know of three others- all free!!! Don't pay for one.

I go through BCBS Federal Employee Program. How long did it take you to get your appointment and have your surgery. I'm completely bummed because I've done everything necessary to do my surgery and then this happens.

My surgeon has a program fee too for insurance people. It's not that uncommon but the amount really varies from practice to pratice.

It covers unlimited access to their nutritionist and counselor and fills for a set period of time (2 years?) and a bunch of other stuff. Personally, I think it's a bit pricey (several thousand) but I'm self-pay so it doesn't impact me.

I think for some people having access to a registered dietician and a licensed counselor as much as you want would be worth it but I don't think I'll use them that much so I'm glad I don't have to deal with this.

the perks of having insurance at least mine is that i'm provided all those services free of charge. i'm not interested in paying for additional things when I know my insurance will do it. I ended up cancelling my surgery with Dr.Daly this evening and now I'm back on the search. Can anyone recommend a doc in the area that doesn't take long to get scheduled especially since I'm pre approved. How frustrating! Thanks again for everyones input you have all been so helpful.

Wow! That doctor sounds like a scammer! I know you want to have your surgery done and over with, but I think you would be so much happier in the long run with another doctor! My surgeon provides support groups and access to the nutritionist/nurse and himself via cell phone ANYTIME free of charge! It's a part of the whole program... that doesn't cost "extra". Good luck! I hope you find a doctor that will really support you and not try to milk all of the money out of you! :smile2:

Edited by ColoradoCrazy

Wow! That doctor sounds like a scammer! I know you want to have your surgery done and over with, but I think you would be so much happier in the long run with another doctor! My surgeon provides support groups and access to the nutritionist/nurse and himself via cell phone ANYTIME free of charge! It's a part of the whole program... that doesn't cost "extra". Good luck! I hope you find a doctor that will really support you and not try to milk all of the money out of you! :smile2:

Wow Colorado Crazy, for all that you ripped on Dr.K, your docs program sure sounds JUST like his!! And the day you can reach a surgeon ANYTIME will be the day pigs fly!! I am an ICU nurse so I am well aquainted with how well you can reach doctors...

(For anyone wondering about the hostility of my post, it is because this one likes to visit the thread about my doc and openly bash him. We love our surgeon and don't really appreciate her opinion so much...)

the perks of having insurance at least mine is that i'm provided all those services free of charge. i'm not interested in paying for additional things when I know my insurance will do it. I ended up cancelling my surgery with Dr.Daly this evening and now I'm back on the search. Can anyone recommend a doc in the area that doesn't take long to get scheduled especially since I'm pre approved. How frustrating! Thanks again for everyones input you have all been so helpful.

I am glad you cancelled your surgery since you didn't feel comfortable, but I wanted to tell you that I have needed approximately $1800 worth of fills/unfills in the first year. So it is not unheard of. My fill doc initially charged $335 a fill when he was in another practice, so that added up pretty quickly.