Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you experienced hair loss?

Did you lose hair?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did you lose hair?

• No hair loss
    • Very little hair loss, unnoticible
    • Some hair loss but it's not very obvious
    • A signifigant/very noticible amount of hair loss

I'm kinda scared of losing my hair. I hadn't heard any mention of it until recently. I had no idea this was a side effect. I'd like to see how many people have experienced it and to what degree.

Is there a way to prevent it? supplements for hair/skin/nails?

hair loss is usually due to lack of Protien and occasionally lack of Vitamins. Get enough of both and you don't have to worry. Protein shales are your friend. I like good old fashioned Slim Fast High Protein (getting harder to find as they are pushing their Optima shakes - YUCK!). There are many many brands out there.

This is much more of a problem with Bypass patients than with band patients.

I didn't think I would experience any hairloss. My Protein was always good, I take Vitamins daily and even took Biotin supplements. I thought I was good until I reached about 7 months and noticed as I run my fingers through my hair or wash it, several strands of hair was always coming out in my hands. I have lost a little thickness but no one has noticed it other than me.

I also had some "shedding" when I was pregnant as well. It could be that even with working so hard to avoid it, I am just more susceptible than some.

I already notice that less is coming out now than a month ago and I think I will be relatively fine. One unfortunate side affect is that I had to start wearing my hair pulled back in the kitchen. I was noticing an occasional stray hair in inappropriate places that was grossing me out.

One more comment . . . I have been reading threads for a very long time. It seemed to me in my readings that those who followed the basic bandster rules regarding Protein and Vitamin intake along with a healthy diet did not have a significant problem in this area. It should not be so much of an issue if you meet your bodies nutritional needs.

Hey!

I disagree. From what I've noticed, I think it's an individual thing.

About 3-4 months out I lost a ton of hair and was really really worried about it. Which I'm sure was because I ate very little Protein. Since that time, I eat cottage cheese for lunch nearly everyday and ALWAYS have meat at meals and my hair just isn't the same as it was before surgery. I mean it's become a lot better, but it's still not the same hair it was. :mellow:

Oh well, my body is becoming smokin, so I guess it's a trade off. hehe

FYI, maybe if I did gag those Protein drinks down it would look better, but I'd rather use my extra calories on stuff I like. HAHA I do have Atkin Protein Bars to snack on, but those shakes :cry_smile: hehe

That's my take on it, best of luck!! :cool2:

I hear people say that if your Protein intake is high enough it won't happen, but the surgeon that posts on the forum said it can happen anyway, but his patients normally have their hair return like it previously was. I tend to agree with him, because when I was on Atkins my protein intake was obviously high, yet I still lost some hair around the 3 month mark. My hair did grow back, so all is good. I noticed a little falling out this morning, so here I go again.:redface:

I started having Hair loss about 3 or 4 months after surgery. Fortunately, I have very thick hair, but it still freaked me out! I spoke with my surgeon, and his first response was that I wasn't getting enough Protein. I told him that I was averaging 60 to 80 grams a day (usually on the higher end), and he took back his words. He then said that just losing weight quickly can cause it to happen b/c the body is under stress from the weight loss. He assured me it would come back in. It seems like the loss has slowed down, and I have noticed quite a bit of new growth. I also take Biotin, but haven't noticed it does much to keep the hair from coming out...but, my hair is very healthy from it!

I didnt lose my hair, and I dont know anyone around me personally who did either, I've only ever read about it on here.

This wont be popular at all, lol, but I actually suspect its often the high Protein diet that causes it, that lots of Protein does NOT prevent Hair loss. Its only ever people on severe diets that you hear about losing their hair (outside of a WLS forum). I think an "almost no carb" approach is too extreme and not complete nourishment. I also think that the calorie intakes many people have after surgery are way way too low for nourishment. If you eat 600 calories a day you're going to suffer side effects.

Protein is not the only thing you need! All this focus on it, people forget that you can lose hair if you dont get enough zinc or Iron too, and that there's other bad effects to your health with lack of B Vitamins or C etc etc. You need a balance. Cramming as much protein into you as you can without thinking about everything else might help you get thin but it wont make you super healthy.

Slower more moderate weight loss on a more varied diet seems to not result in hair loss. I was quite happy to take over 2 years to lose my 100lb and not have any side effecs like hair loss.

I've never heard of anyone who didnt recover though. Everyone's hair seems to grow back, and nobody goes completely bald. Its just thinning, a pretty good sign you're not getting all you need in your diet.

Edited by Jachut

I didnt lose my hair, and I dont know anyone around me personally who did either, I've only ever read about it on here.

This wont be popular at all, lol, but I actually suspect its often the high Protein diet that causes it, that lots of Protein does NOT prevent Hair loss. Its only ever people on severe diets that you hear about losing their hair (outside of a WLS forum). I think an "almost no carb" approach is too extreme and not complete nourishment. I also think that the calorie intakes many people have after surgery are way way too low for nourishment. If you eat 600 calories a day you're going to suffer side effects.

Protein is not the only thing you need! All this focus on it, people forget that you can lose hair if you dont get enough zinc or Iron too, and that there's other bad effects to your health with lack of B Vitamins or C etc etc. You need a balance. Cramming as much protein into you as you can without thinking about everything else might help you get thin but it wont make you super healthy.

Slower more moderate weight loss on a more varied diet seems to not result in hair loss. I was quite happy to take over 2 years to lose my 100lb and not have any side effecs like hair loss.

I've never heard of anyone who didnt recover though. Everyone's hair seems to grow back, and nobody goes completely bald. Its just thinning, a pretty good sign you're not getting all you need in your diet.

Jachut definitely has a point.

I have been really strict about protein intake, yet I have hair loss. I take Vitamins daily as well, eat lots of fresh veggies but almost no other carbs unless they are from a natural unprocessed source. I followed all of the rules and still have hair loss so protein can not be the answer in my case. Perhaps it is the very low calories for such an extended period.

I am fairly sure that if I did not try to maintain a healthy diet and take my vitamins regularly, that what has been minor hair loss would probably have been major hairloss.

I was just about to ask the same questions kaytiebugs, hairloss and excess skin are a big worry for me, the food part of it I am sure I can live with, but a bald head(slight exaggeration) and loads of sagging skin I'm not so sure about!

I began my research on the Lapband two years ago and now i am finally ready to have it done, I sooo want to give myself the best chance possible of making the band work for me, after reading literally hundreds of posts about nutrition for bandsters, I have to say that I'm with Jachut. We need to eat a BALANCED diet, which will result in us getting all the nutrients we need.

Katie x

I was on a modified south beach once so I had high Protein and very low carbs and lost hair ...hair loss more than I am having now.... around 3 months out around 30 pounds.

I am not so high protien now and still do carbs (more than south beach) and I do have some thining noticable in my brush but when I was on the high Protein diet I would just run my fingers through my hair and some would fall out.

I am worried to color my hair though.......gee why can't it be the gray hairs that fall out??