Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone cheated on their post surgery diet?

People do it all the time. Some have complications, some do not. Most I know personally who have cheated have regretted it for some reason or another. From guilt to band removal, and everything in between.

I did twice. I had to do a 2 week all liquid diet. The first 9 days were good. Then I went to a late 4th of July party. They were cooking brats and burgers, baked Beans cake,chips, dip, Desserts, tons of food. I had some Pasta salad, watermelon and a handful of chips. I figured it was better that a burger or something huge. And my portions were moderatly small. One other time about day 12, I went with a friend to the Olive Garden, I had salad. I didn't have any complications, and my surgery still went as scheduled. (of course this is not to say you shouldn't follow your doctors orders) Susan:cool2:

i let a couple cheese curls melt in my mouth...it scared me so bad (altho i feel fine) that i'm gonna get back on it and not cheat..i just wanted to know others experinces b/c i know i couldnt be the only one with post op weak moments

I kept to liquids, but the liquids I drank were not exactly on the list. I ended up having a lot of Soup broth (instead of clear chicken broth, broth from chunky chicken soup- and no I was not straining it) and I drank Odwalla Juices. I was told not juice or drinks with calories, but I was hardly getting in enough calories anyway, and the 300 calories from the juice made me more normal (up to a whopping 600 calories!)

Im a little over a week after surgery and I dont stop cheating. Im starving all day. Just like I had no control before surgery I have no control now either. If im hungry I eat.

Yes, I have. I did great my first liquid week, the second liquid week I made my own Soups and they were really thick, maybe a bit more mushie than liquid.

I am now on mushies and have to admit I have had some pita bread and houmus also I made home made burgers with lean mince and had a small one myself. Thing is, I am absolutely STARVING. I have absolutely no restriction what so ever and am still so hungry after my little half cup of food. I was even begining to wonder if there was a band there at all, but I know its there cause I have had terrible heartburn since the surgery.

I AM STARVING :-(

I did the same thing u all did on the preop i had my shakes Breakfast and lunch but come to dinner i ate..not a lot but i ate salad chicken etc...i got banded 9/8 and i do find myself being hungry every 2hrs since there is no restriction yet im ok for breakfast i have fage yogurt with strawberry preserves blended of course but after that im starvin i try to be good at work the problem i have is when i get home i cheat not a lot but i do...im on a 3 week full liquid diet which ends 9/28 one more week and then to mushies which hoepfully ill do good on...good luck to all of u

I quess I did, went off my clear liquid a day early, have had no issues from doing so.

This being said i blended the you know what out of the stuff I had that day early :crying: I did not start solid foods until the 3rd week.

I must have the best of Doctors (I already knew that) because I did not have to do liquids pre-surgery, only no carbs or sugars. I could have all the salad and meat I wanted, but no potatoes, pastas, or baked goods. After surgery, I only have Clear Liquids for 48 hours and then to full liquids for the rest of the week. Today is day 3 and I plan on having Cream of Wheat thinned with milk for breakfast. Even though this is my second band (first removed due to slippage), the nurse in Dr. Smith's office was also banded 2 times and told me that just because you could tolerate something the first time you might not the second time. So, that said, I am going very slow, but I am not on clear liquids. WOO-HOO!!!:crying:

I was banded on the 8th, and when I went in for my post op appointment Friday, my doctor said I could eat anything, as long as it could theoretically fit through a straw (no straws!!) ... so I went to town with my magic bullet, and I've had pureed Soup of every flavor, along with my Protein Shakes.< /p>

I think I took it a little far when I bought a spicy tuna handroll, put the spicy tuna (w/o the rice and nori) in the magic bullet and added some ponzu sauce to thin it out. It definitely stayed in and I didn't experience any side effects, but I hope I didn't hurt myself.

I can start "mushies" on the 28th, and I'm looking forward to mashed sweet potatoes! And maybe more spicy tuna ...

[update] I did something silly and tried to eat actual scrambled eggs ... it was extremely uncomfortable because I didn't chew well enough and shouldn't have had it at ALL ... oh well.

Edited by incipientesquire
Added new info

Hi!

I was banded the day before you! I also cheated a little, but not as much as some people. I healed well, so I started some pureed foods a few days early, and soft foods almost a week early. So far I tolerate EVERYTHING!

Looking forward to my first fill so that I feel as if this band is really there & working.

Cheers to everyone for their courage. This is NOT for the faint hearted, is it?

I have cheated a few times. I had my surgery on 9/12 and go back for my appt on 9/25. I have been extremely hungry since about the 4th day out of surgery. The few times I have eaten, I had sugar f ree pudding or mashed potatoes; but I added fat free skim milk to make them very loose. It helped me a lot. I've only done this a few times and ate very little when I did; maybe 3 times since surgery, and no more than 2 oz. I'm just counting the days until the 25th. As of 9/12 I have lot 11.5 pounds.

It is so important that you follow your doctor's orders when it comes to the post-op diet. It is not there to make you miserable, it is there so you can heal and your band can form the necessary scar tissue to keep it in place. By eating too early, you are making your stomach work harder to digest your food, and that is not good. Many of you say that you had no bad side effects from eating early, please come back and post in six months to a year from now and let us know if that still holds true. Reason being, you may not see the effects from eating too soon today, tomorrow or even next week. But, the long-term effects are pretty darn scary. Is it really worth losing your band over?

If you really feel you must eat something, please don't come to a message board looking for validation to do so. Instead, contact your doctor and tell them how you are feeling. They know what is best for you and will offer you suggestions on what you may or may not change in your post-op diet.