Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pizza? gotta know

Guest paul

Guest paul

Well I was banded on Wednesday and still am on Water and gatorade only. But my son had the most beautiful pepperoni pizza for dinner tonight. I have to ask. Is pizza, once in awhile, just a bit here and there, stilll in my future?

Oh Jack, you are so good! pizza still haunts me. But I CAN eat it! I am 10 weeks post-surgery with no fill. Yummy!

The good news, Paul, is that OH so much LESS pizza does the trick that almost a whole pie (depending on the pie) used to! For example, a few weeks back I ate one slice of pizza with a small salad for dinner and was stuffed! Now that it's fill time and I have less restriction, just the other day I ate 2 slices with a small salad. My meal was equally as satisfying as 3-4 (or more!) slices was pre-band. That is really good news to me. I fully expect not to be able to eat pizza again for weeks after my fill. But that's okay. What I am finding out about banded life is that not many food issues last forever, except that of less food, which satisfies just as much. Hooray!

I have a question and a suggestion....

First I am not banded so my question is, Would just the toppings be ok to eat? We have a place called Papa Murphys, they make the pizza and you take it home and bake it, I LOVE their mexican pizza and the garlic chicken pizza, but am not nuts over bread to begin with. I can take the crust or leave it.

Second my suggestion, I have read that many can have biscuits with no problem. There is a great pampered (sp) recipe that is easy and yummy:

Biscuit Pizza

1 can biscuits (not butter flavored)

1 small jar of pizza sauce (trader joes is best)

1 bag shredded mozz cheese

any meat/veggie toppings you may like

Cut the biscuits in quarters and arrange in a pan to covering the bottom.

Drizzle over sauce, add cheese and toppings. The sauce and cheese will fall between the biscuit pieces, this is ok. Bake according the biscuit directions, adding about 3-5 mins. Check for cheese to be melted and biscuits to be "fluffy"

This is very good and easy to make, and have biscuits instead of true bread, it is kind of like a pull apart pizza and my family loves it. Just thought it might be a bit more band friendly.~Mandy

Eating just the topping off a pizza is a tried-and-true bandster solution to the limited pizza-place menus. But I have to say it's not as appealing without the crust; SO loaded with fat and oil and nothing to sop it up.

I was very cautious about trying pizza after banding, but when I did it was absolutely amazing to see how little it took to fill me up. Like Chinese food, it's no longer one of my favorite foods, because quantity was in part why I liked it. It was cheap, "balanced," and easy to overdo. Now it just doesn't seem like a good choice, and you may find your tastes changing in a similar way over time, Paul. Once in a while a bite goes down wonderfully well, but it's not my choice for a meal.

I love starches - crave them - but hopefully that's behind me. I really do like pizza, but know I can live without them. Quiche sounds yummy! I was banded 6/7 - sick for a week, etc. but Lipton Soup in a box is really good right now! Tuesday will be 14 days. I had a small glass of wine to Celebrate tonight - sooooooo good.

Good luck all!

Dixie from TX

I had egg pizza a few days ago....only they called it 'quiche'.....

HAR!!

I have pretty much simply lost my interest in breads and crusts....I have managed a few muffins (carefully) and I've had toast 3 or 4 times....it's hard to get a WHOLE SLICE down...just isn't that tasty somehow ....and I've LIVED for breads...

it's nice to not have THAT dragon bearing down on me every day....

when I take a good look at the foods I really WANT to eat now, I'm amazed at how my notions have changed....

I can eat pizza if it is that "&**&" St/ Louis style- very thin- I call it the tortilla pizza- maybe two pieces (the corners). WIth any toppings (I am an anchoivy gal)- If I make it-my kids love whole wheat pizza and cheese- I can eat about one square (3") . I usually eat the toppings!

I eat pizza very often! Just small bites!

I usually eat the topping off 1 piece and an entire small slice.

ALSO - we make homemade pizza's. At Walmart we buy the Momma Mary brand Pizza Crust (pre-made, in the refrigerator section) - and fix our our toppings. The crust is thinner (easier to go down) and way more healthier!!!

I live in NJ and am so lucky. You can get every kind of pizza imaginable here - very very think to very thin crust. I used to love thick crust before surgery but now I will have to learn to enjoy the very thin crust.

Laura

I haven't been able to tolerate any bread product since my fill or just eating the toppings off the pizza still makes me sick. But my DH can? WHo knows-He needs another fill!!! HE can eat most foods yet without a problem!