Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greek Yogurt???

I see a lot of people talking about this greek yogurt. What is making it so popular? Is it lower in fat/calories? Taste better? What is the difference?

kat,

i buy the oikos honey greek yogurt 5oz cups (usually throw in some granola for crunch) - but here's the breakdown:

5oz - 120calories - 13g Protein

compared to danon light - peach (in my fridge also):

3oz - 110calories - 2g protein

i like the taste & it keeps me full longer than regular yogurt...

I found it tastes good, but the consistancy is so thick, creamy and gloppy, it kind of gags me. Is there a low fat version? I haven't seen it, but I have to beleive it exists somewhere.....

Hi:

Make sure you buy only one when you first try it. It made me gag it was so awful and I had bought a half dozen of them. I hate wasting, but I don't dislike anyone enough to give them away! But then, different strokes for different folks.

Enjoy.

Sue

I'm not a big fan of yogurt but I love the greek stuff, much better tasting imo. It also has much more protien while still being low calorie.

I have a used spice sprinkler that I filled with a blend of Splenda and cinnamon. No calories in it. I sprinkle a bit on the greek yogurt and really enjoy it.

Fage is the name of the zero fat greek yogurt I ate for many months. I'm on a break, you know, sometimes you've just got to eat something else...

Anyway, it has super Protein. I added my own fake sweetner, granola and or fruit cut tiny.

Give it a shot. It is thick, it needs to be stirred, but I think it's GREAT.

I love it, its pretty much the only yogurt I eat. Its thick and creamy (I eat the full fat version). I dont like artificually sweetened yogurts and all those diet ones are runny and thin and have a fake aftertaste. I'd rather treat yogurt as a bit of a treat food, and use it as a condiment and have good stuff rather than processed crap. Plus I like yogurt that is tart, not overly sweet.

It also fills me like a real food, whereas fake yogurt doesnt. So I can take one of those gourmet ones, with the pureed fruit and thick greek yogurt and yes, it may be 350 calories for the container, but that with an apple is lunch. Unlike those little 80 calorie pots that feel like you've eaten nothing.

Its not an uncommon food here, certainly not something you have to shop around to find, its in every supermarket.

I'm also one who can hardly stand regular yogurt. It's a texture/consistency thing. I can do a few bites but then start having trouble with it (nothing to do with band, I have food issues!). I can't eat cottage cheese either, unless it's in something like tuna or lasagna!

I have discovered that I really LIKE greek yogurt! It's thicker and you need to stir well but it's tangy and just really good! You can buy it at any grocery store. Raley's, where I shop most of the time (in my little town), only has a small variety of one brand but I just bought some flavored ones at Trader Joe's today when I was in the city (an hour from home). I went ahead and bought one of each flavor. I have to go back to the city next week for more appts. so I'll buy more of what I like next week.

Try it, you might like it! And Sue, if we lived closer I'd have taken those off your hands for you! LOL!!

It tastes better than regular yogurt and is thicker in consistency, try it it is very good and is full of Protein. Check with a local health food store that carries it, they will tell you about it or just google it for more info.

I didn't enjoy it the first few times, however, as I refuse to throw out good food, I started using it as a condiment (using it as a substitute for mayo in a salad, or veg dip, etc) rather than a meal. It did take some time, but now, I quite enjoy it. But I also enjoy the fruity-traditional ones too. So, both are in my fridge, and both are enjoyed.

well i can tell u this im greek and i luv fage it tastes awesome...shoprite sells mixed with strawberrys or honey and others i luv it u should try it i prefer that over oikos

Here in Canada it is sometimes called Mediterranean Yogurt. It is nice and thick and full of fat and protien.

I find low and no fat yogourts taste horrid, due to the thicken agents used in place of the fat.

If you are not a fan of the low fat, aspartame fruity fake stuff, you will likely adore the plain, full fat greek or mediterranean yogourt.

I sometimes buy goats milk or sheeps milk full fat yogourt. It is more expensive, but very rich and tasty.

Ok, my husband is a yogurt fanatic, but I do the grocery shopping, so here's what I have learned. Largely from talking with the owners of our local Mediterranean market (my husband has spent time in Greece and wanted me to pick him up Greek yogurt). No promise that my information is correct. :) There is "Greek yogurt" and there is "Greek style yogurt." Two different things. Most of what we have in our grocery stores in America is actually "Greek style" yogurt (basically a thicker version of everything else on the shelves). True Greek yogurt is made with goat's milk, not cow. That gives it a different taste and setup from the beginning. It (and other Mediterranean-originating yogurts) are also made differently. They are strained to remove the whey, resulting in a much denser, "concentrated" yogurt. Some are also boiled to remove additional Water content. Nutritional values are different, as already discused. "Greek style" yogurt is usually cow yogurt made the traditional American way (water content intact) that has been artificially thickened to try and simulate the consistency of true Greek yogurt. BTW, if you don't mind the fat, my husband swears by Stonyfield Farm's whole milk, plain, cream on top variety. Per serving (1 cup) it has 180 cal, 9g fat, 16g carb, 9g Protein. Of course, his serving is closer to 4 cups and he mixes dry Cereal into it.