Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depo and Lap Band.

Hello all!

I was banded August 7th and have been very happy thus far.

My question is this. I've been on the Depo shot for almost 4 years now. And I have rarely had spotting or any problems. ( I know there are tons of negative stories about Depo, but so far, it's been the only thing that my OB/GYN has prescribed that controls my bleeding.)

Three days after surgery, I started bleeding...not just spotting, almost like a light period. I haven't stopped and it's been almost a month.

I haven't really worried because I keep thinking it will stop and it might just be a side effect from the surgery or something, but now that it hasn't stopped, I'm starting to get curious.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this?

Thank you!! :tt2:

I just started on Depo and had my first shot the first part of July. I go in the middle of the month for my next shot. I "started" the Thursday before my surgery (08/25) and am just now slowing down to an almost stop. That's 2 weeks for me.

From what I hear, when you lose weight quickly, you tend to do some breakthrough bleeding. Sometimes it takes a long time for it to "right" itself and sometimes not. I have no idea what's going to happen with me. Just when I think it's stopped, I start a little again. I've taken to wearing panty liners daily just to make sure I'm okay. I've heard it's b/c fat stores Estrogen and that b/c we are losing quickly it's released into our systems too fast and that throws us off, pills, shots or whatever to no avail.

I think if it stays much longer (did you say a month?) and doesn't let up at all, I'd put a call into your Gyno soon. He/She may want to have you do an Iron test too to see where you stand on that. You could be low and that would affect your daily life (unusual fatigue for one).

Take care and let me know how you do. I hope your system rights itself soon!

I don't have depo but have been on the pill for years. I would have a very light 2 day period like clockwork before banding. After banding from months 2-6 (when I was losing a lot of weight) my periods became 10 times worse and lasted at least a week.

The rapid weightloss did a number on my cycle. Even though I am not on depo, steady birth control puts us in the same general category. It has finally evened out and life has become semi normal once again.

I also wonder if it has to do with blood thinners?

My doctor gave me a shot of some blood thinner right before surgery (which made my already bad bleeding even worse).

Hello all!

My question is this. I've been on the Depo shot for almost 4 years now. And I have rarely had spotting or any problems. ( I know there are tons of negative stories about Depo, but so far, it's been the only thing that my OB/GYN has prescribed that controls my bleeding.)

Three days after surgery, I started bleeding...not just spotting, almost like a light period. I haven't stopped and it's been almost a month.

I haven't really worried because I keep thinking it will stop and it might just be a side effect from the surgery or something, but now that it hasn't stopped, I'm starting to get curious.

Thank you!! :)

I haven't had surgery yet, but when I did Depo shots, my period started and kept going for 3 months. My GYN actually ended up making me take BC pills after my second shot. I told her that if I was going to have to take BC pills, it was a waste to get the shot. It could be that after your weight loss, it might not be the birth contol method for you any more. I would definitely talk to my GYN about it.

ive been on the depo for 8 years, and got banded 2 months ago, during that time, no bleeding, spotting, cramps, anything, the weight loss is from the junk ive eaten!!!

you shouldnt be bleeding at all, can you get the pill, implion? just think of all the money you have to waste on tampons!

talk to your doc!!!

sus

i was on depo and have been for 7 years now. initally when i started the shot i had an intense nasty period which faded away as the months wore on to nothing now. the only negative side affects that i still suffer from are severe nightmares 2 weeks prior to the shot and also 2 weeks post shot. keep in mind that the hormones in depo are enough to make a woman batty and throw the mix of surgery into it, your hormones are off the chart. i think i would approach my surgeon and my gyno and see what their thoughts on the matter were though.

as an aside, i have to say, i just went to see my gyno for my yearly, and she advised to get off the depo. she said she had a patient who had been on it for years and gained 100+ pounds, so now i'm switching to a non-hormone iud.

i've heard this before but never had a doctor actually say it to me, and while i type this, i'm in no way trying to say my birth control was the sole reason for my weight gain. but i do have to say i honestly feel as if it helped to attribute to the whole thing. so the switch for me is just me doing everything i can possibly do to help keep this weight of as i fight the battle to loose more. :bored:

I have been on the depo for 11 yrs.. I was banded feb. 09.. I haven't had any problems with spotting or bleeding. Check with your doctor..

Hello all!

Thank you!! :thumbup:

Did you know that depo provera is an abortifacient? When the sperm meets the egg, and the human being starts its life, the drug kills it. If you are against abortion, you should not take this form of birth control. (actually, no one should take it, for who knows how many lives they may be destroying if they do.) Please reconsider this choice. Thanks

Did you know that depo provera is an abortifacient? When the sperm meets the egg, and the human being starts its life, the drug kills it. If you are against abortion, you should not take this form of birth control. (actually, no one should take it, for who knows how many lives they may be destroying if they do.) Please reconsider this choice. Thanks

Ummm, okay. If you're not cycling, and that's what the Depo does, STOPS the cycle, then there is no egg dropped to even think about meeting any sperm it may or may not come in contact with.

smsmithart, I'm thinking it does the same to me too. Tho I'm still having breakthru after being on it for over a year and at the highest dose you can get. I'm thinking it's time for more drastic measures. My stuff don't work anyway, might as well get rid of it. Would take care of ALL of my problems then!

hey to each their own. i'm pro choice and i vote and i figure if i stay on birth control i'm not faced with the decision of what to do with a pregnancy that's not wanted at this time in my life.

and i agree, it makes me completely evil around shot time. i'm switching to mirena on tuesday.

From what I hear, when you lose weight quickly, you tend to do some breakthrough bleeding. Sometimes it takes a long time for it to "right" itself and sometimes not. I have no idea what's going to happen with me. Just when I think it's stopped, I start a little again. I've taken to wearing panty liners daily just to make sure I'm okay. I've heard it's b/c fat stores Estrogen and that b/c we are losing quickly it's released into our systems too fast and that throws us off, pills, shots or whatever to no avail.

I'm on my third week of pre-op diet and I'm already having this problem, though I'm on the pill rather than depo. Should make the next few months a true joy :sad: Come to think of it, when I lost a chunk of weight when I was a teenager, the exact same thing happened.

This shot made me completely insane, was on it years ago for 2-3 year period. No one has commented on weight gain with it, so I must!! I gained 50-60lbs on this stuff...it is nasty and unlike pills, u are stuck with if for 3 months even if you want off of it.....to each his own, finally had tubal ligation after last son was born.

Not to scare anyone, just check it out thoroughtly before trying.

Depo affects everyone differently just like any other form of BC. Some ppl gain weight with it and some lose weight with it. Some have break through bleeding some don't. Most ppl must be on Depo 3 - 12 months before their cycles completely stop and once you are off it can take up to a year for cycles to start back and become normal again. I would think that the bleeding following a surgery could be from the antibiotics (and blood thinners for some) 'confusing' your body and weakening the Depo much like it does birth control pills. Meaning... that there might be an increased chance of becoming preggers. If it were me, I'd probably use a back-up method of birth control until my next shot.