Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know they say there are no dumb questions, but this one really is. However I would appreciate an answer (feel free to snicker if you want LOL)

They told me I could have sugar free Jello my first week post op when I am to have only Clear Liquids and broth. Does this mean liquid jello, or can I let it set and then chew and swallow?

I assumed they meant to just drink it, but now, I am wondering if I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks!

Hi. I was banded August 27th. I have been eating the sugar free Jello that comes pre-packaged in little cups. It is not in liquid form, and I have done well with it. I will be so happy to move on to mushies!

Thank you both! No wonder I've been so starved I could've chewed off my chair arm! Going to the grocer's NOW! :smile:

I don't think Jell-o was meant to be drunk, but that's my opinion. Nope, I ate it from the cup also. No problems.

Also, I got a tip for all liquid people...

Do you like refried Beans?

Did you know in Mexico they have a Bean Soup (Sopa de Frijol)?

Yep, blend your beans with some of the bean Water if you are making them home made, if not you can add chicken broth or just plain water, or skim milk or even evaporated milk. You can add salt and granulated garlic (or whatever spices you want). You might want to water it down a bit more than you normally would for the 'straw theory', just to be on the safe side. (heating all this up in a pot, not to eat cold! LOL!)

You get lots of Protein and something enjoyable and filling.:smile:

Edited by themis
forgot cooking directions

Week 1 we don't get anything but broth, Jello and Water. That's it. no Protein Shakes no nothing else. So no bean Soup for this chickie (I learned my lesson during my preop fiasco) but once I hit mushie land refried Beans and some melted cheese are my 1st meal!

So no Beans the first week, what about just the broth strained of course, from your own homemade beans (or a resturants)?

Yes the Bean Soup is not for 'clear liquids only' people, but for 'full liquids' and more people.

Actually the soup is meant to be topped off with fried tortilla strips, a dallop of sour cream and shredded white cheese, but that'll have to wait until later.

LOL at themis...tortilla strips...sigh

I'm not going to "loosely" interpret my doc's directions because I messed up on my preop diet. That made a straight line believe out of me. It's not worth it when in a few days or so I'll be able to have more. I am doing fine with broth and Water and really am going to buy some sf Jello. They also said we could have SF popsicles so I may buy a box of those too....although what I want isn't SWEET stuff, it's food!

But I can make it. My appt is weds and I'll see then if I can expand a bit into something with more sustenance (besides those sweet EAS shakes)

During the first week, it is 'clear liquids' or broth. You might want to check with your doctor or nutritionist to be sure. I guess it depends on how 'clear' your broth is... the longer you cook, the thicker the broth. I personally waited until stage 2 of liquids. Although I did drink half an Atkins Protein Shake a couple of days early, which I had no problem with and have no regrets. But as my band buddy informed me, no cheating on stage 2 liquids. No mushy foods early unless doc says okay.

Oh don't worry I'm going to ask about a million questions on Weds. For one thing, in the handy manual they gave us, one place says we can have yogurt and eggs and Beans starting week 2, but another place it says not till week 3. (Am I the only one who READS this stuff? LOL) but until then, I'm hanging. I got some jello; I'll make it

The Popsicles did more for me than the Jello. The first 2 were okay, but after that.. eh. Maybe we're just excited to have something new! LOL!

Well, I briefly read the mushy stage before, and of course the closer you get the more info you read...

There are 2 stages to mushies, just like 2 stages of liquids (at least for those of us with those instructions).

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe it is soft mushy food first stage (oatmeal, SF pudding, cottage cheese, refried Beans, baby food, guacamole - no chunks!, etc.), then pureed/mushies second stage.

I'm going to find out for sure what my doc wants on weds. I think preop I was just so oriented to following that diet, shrinking my liver, and getting the band (finally) that I didn't sweat post op. I figured it would be in my manual. NOT! THanks for your help though; I now have some Jello "chillin". It's not food, but it's better than nothing!

Week 1 we don't get anything but broth, Jello and Water. That's it. no Protein shakes no nothing else. So no bean Soup for this chickie (I learned my lesson during my preop fiasco) but once I hit mushie land refried Beans and some melted cheese are my 1st meal!

Hey Restless... don't forget that you can have sugarfree popcicles too! Love 'em!

Best,

Barbara