Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I am in hell. My company changed insurance companies. Had to change IPA's. They denied my referral to see my surgeon. Appealed to the insurance company. The new insurance company, Aetna, denied my appeal. They will not allow me to see my Surgeon. "It is not a medical necessity" and the appeal actually said that I did the band for cosmetic reasons and my own personal comfort. Give me a friggin break. I have gained - I am up to 186. I need a fill. I am upset and find myself stress eating. I feel like telling them that since they will not allow me to maintain the band I want it removed. Then I will gain back 100 pounds or more, much more. Then I will become a diabetic again. And in a year or so they can pay for my tripple bypass and my care after my stroke. What is wrong with them. AND - I cannot find a place to get my fills. The Drs I have called tell me that they will not fill bands they didn't put in. I am screwed......;)

Oh no! You must feel awful about this. I hope you can work this out some how. Keep us posted hun. :unsure:

Sept. Samurai's I don't feel like a Samurai anymore I feel like a failure. I have only lost 40 pounds in a year and need at least another 40 to make a dent. Today has been day one on my Liquid Protein diet and intend to do this for 2 weeks like pre-op to get me started. I am in tears already since I can't run to food but I have to start losing again. I am at 9cc's on a 10cc band and I still feel restriction when I accidentally eat too fast or not chew properly - so what gives. I really hope that in two weeks will get my mind back in shape to do this. I didn't go through all this trouble to not lose any more weight. So, if anyone wants to do the liquid diet with me to get back on track. We can check in with each other every day. Let me know - I have to do something - anything!;)

Hi,

You can't say your a failure! If you were on your own w/out your band would you have lost 40 lbs? Would you have kept it of? I would not. Think of it that way hun! :-) We can all do this!!

I have been eating around my band for about 8 months now. I feel like I am back agian. I think it really helps to plan ahead. Make sure you have your protien ON HAND ready to make good choices. Like this week I cooked a bbq meatloaf & chicken ahead & I just take 4-5 oz at each meal w/ veggies. I don't feel deprived at all. I like to use daily plate to keep track of my cals ect... HOPe this helps! :unsure:

I'm doing two things different:

1) i had a fill december 16, and it really seems to ghave been right what i needed. I toally didn't want or need snacking.

2) i'm dating a guy that had RNY. What amazing support you get when you have a fellow WLS person in your immediate face.

teri

For those of you who are struggling I thought I would give a few words of encouragement. I've hit several plateaus in all of this when I've thought I was ok to start eating whatever I felt like eating.

I find if I stick to eating high Protein (mostly high Protein Shakes and yogurt with one food meal a day) that I stay on the weight loss track. I highly suggest the following items as a daily routine to help you have a plan and stick with it. Bring it with you every day so you instinctively buy, stock, and reach for the same items that you like to eat. This is my daily routing except for weekends where I tend to use as my free days:

1-2 Atkins ready to drink shakes per day(15g per shake + fiber)

sugar free red bull energy shot (2 cals, no carbonation)

1 New Whey protein (42 grams per tube)

1 Voskos Greek Yogurt (13 grams of protein)

1 Bowl of high Vitamin Cereal a day (Special K, Total, Product 19)

1 serving low carb high protein nuts & seeds mix (below)

largest water bottle I can carry (whole days Water at my fingertips so I can see where I'm at all day)

soups/stews with a campbells Soup base (can add benefiber or similar to make Fiber content higher without chance of PB)

Your one food meal of the day should be as high in fiber and filling as possible eaten early in the evening to keep you from snacking.

also, I have found that as my band gets tighter I can't tolerate hard food until around noon so I've made myself a rule that I only do liquids til noon so I don't get to the BP'ing while also keeping on my water...

so, I do the following order for the day and it works well:

Water on waking - keep it right beside the bed(6am)

coffee with half and half and sugar free vanilla or Red bull sugar free energy shot (2 cals) (7am)

water again (8am)

Atkins shake (8:30/9am)

New whey shake (9:30/10am)

Cereal with milk (10:30am/11am) or save for afternoon

water or tea (noon before meal)

light lunch (soup or water and Atkins shake or Voskos yogurt)

water (1:00pm/1:30pm)

small handful of high protein nut mix (almongs, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, shelled pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries) (2:30/3pm)

water (4pm-5pm)

dinner (6pm/7pm)

usually soup or stew or something with a liquid component that is easy to get down without going too fast. I use campbell Soups as a base, add benefiber and veggies that I can tolerate. You can also add frozen chicken and simmer for 20 minutes. meat will be moist and you can use this to catch up on protein if you are behind for the day.

If I have a craving later, I will keep low carb, low or no sugar chocolate or ice cream to satisfy any cravings.

The important thing is the protein(1 gram for each pound of body weight up to half your weight, so if you are 200 lbs then you need 100 grams per day), fiber (at least 20-25 grams if not more),vitamin balance, and water

Hope this helps anyone who is at a loss for a plan that works. I've been following this since I hit my first plateau in Feb of 2009 and I go back to it each time I go astray and weight comes off again.

Oh yeah, and I haven't been great about exersizing either. Maybe 10-15 a day of walking. Of course, you can lose more if you do your 30 mins a day.

Wow, it has been so long since I have been here. I hadn't gone back to my doctor for a fill since Feb of 09 and haven't lost as much weight as everyone else has to date. My weight loss has been slow, but that is my own fault. I think it took me this long just to learn how to eat and figure out what foods I actually like anymore. food does not taste the same. I found my self eating easy foods that I knew I could eat and would taste good. I recently got another fill and boy can I tell a difference. I plan on getting my fills on schedule so I can get to my goal weight once and for all. I figure if I really put in the work it will happen. Glad to see you all are doing well. Keep up the great progress.:confused:

Hi everyone. I have been fighting with my insurance and IPA since September. I finally won and have an appointment to see my surgeon on the 10th. I have NO restriction and have gained some weight, I was up to 192 and I was 190 today at my Dr.

I have a mental block against meat so I have been eating only whole grain cereal and vegetables. I drink vegitarian protien drinks to make sure I get enough protien. My biggest problem is nuts and whole grain crackers. I still do not eat rice, potatoes, bread, sugar, fried anything and of course fats. I know that the nuts are a downfall and have cut them out. I was doing good only drinking shakes, but stress caused some eating and damn if those crackers don't add up.

So it is still a stuggle. My Dr is still proud of my progress, but we are all afraid of any weight gain. We both just want me to stay at 180.

I have had chest pains which only make me more "meat" phobic. I now have nitro pills and heart meds. Funny, loose all this weight and now this popps up. But I know that the damage I did to my body will last the rest of my life.....

Hang in there everyone. I hope you are all having more success than me. :smile2:

Hello all. Just home from a visit with my surgeon. The fills since Christmas time have gotten me right where I wanna be. I could go a tad bit tighter, but that is something I'm afraid of. I'm loosing a pound a week at this point. I'm down from a 12/16/09 high of 249, to 235, after lunch and fully dressed. I'll take it. He won't see me again until July, and if I've not lost another 10-15 pounds we're seriously looking at a bypass. I'm ready for it. I struggle so with loosing every pound. But am starting to feel like it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Teri

Hi everyone,

Well I have been in and out of the plateau stages. So much so... that my dr took me off of food for 20 days and I am back to liquids until the end of the month.

I have lost close to 47 pounds since surg 9/05/08. But since then I have palyed with the same ten pounds or so.

Casey I will take your advice... I love your menu. I need way more Protein in my diet... and the fiber also.

I will keep you posted Samurai's!!! Keep up the

good work.

Hey SAMUARAI!

I've lost 70lbs since surgery. The Dr. says that's great bu I am soooo hard on myself. I went to get a fill 3 weeks ago (1/4 cc) and have lost 3lbs. I was lucky enough to get squeezed in today and asked for another fill because I wasn't satidfied. Wish granted and they gave be another 1/2 cc. Yay! I was thinking another 45-50 lbs to goal but the nurse pract. said about 30 more lbs. Cann you believe that? We'll see. At least it gives me a short term goal.

You look amazing!!!!!

I'm up a few pouds again, not entirely sure why, might be amonthly bloat type thing. Will bump things up again.

teri

Appril you look great!!! Started off with Dot this morning. Can't wait for her to pack up her bags and leave :)I should be down at least 4 to 6 pounds because it it. I had a really great cup of veggie Soup today with a shake. Can't wait for snack... Greek yogurt!

Hi Guys! about 4 weeks ago I went in for a fill. I didn't feel like it gave me the restriction that I wanted so I went back alst week for a fill. I got .5 cc i was able to drink before I left. I was even able to eat and drink very small amounts the following two days. I increased my exercise and my Protein. However, around 3-4 days after the fill I couldn't keep anything down and my breathing was painful! I waited out the weekend and on Monday I went to the DR. ASAP!!!!!!!!

I had loat 14lbs in 6 days:) but I was definitely too tight:( So I got that last .5cc taken out and have felt better ever since.

My biggest fear is gaining that weight back. I am in wonderland and about 20-25lbs away from goal! What should I do? This is the first time since I've been banded that I feared gaining any weight back...

Good Morning Samurai's

Well I am heading out for my 4 mile walk... I am off today and took your advice Casey... more exercise, more Water ... more soup... added Benefiber....saw my dr... no fill... lost 9 pounds last month!

Feeling good. Happy Easter everyone.

@ April: How are you doing? I hope the unfill is going well for you. You look amazing... keep up the good work sis.